• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Halo 3: ODST (Martin O'Donnell & Michael Salvatori)

Second disc. OK so the music on disc 2 isn't much better than disc 1, in fact it's worse, even more meaningless ambience. There are some moments that peak my interest but they're too rare. I'm sure it'll work great in the game adding tons of atmosphere to what looks like an exceptionally cool shooter. I'm gonna pick it up soon and see how the music functions within it. But as a standalone listen this will not get many spins. It's just sad the composers didn't use more of the themes from Halo, after all this is the same universe, same enemies, only different main character.

I agree with Steven saying it's rubbish if you see it from the POV of a pure film music fan, as the album is anything but memorable, synthesized or not. Personally, I don't dismiss it, but musically Halo 3: the sequel this ain't, whatever the title says.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009
    If I'm playing a game on the Xbox, I just play my own music anyway (Korngold's Robin Hood while playing Assassin's Creed for example). Unfortunately the PS3 doesn't give you that option.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Halo 3: ODST (Martin O'Donnell & Michael Salvatori)

Second disc. OK so the music on disc 2 isn't much better than disc 1, in fact it's worse, even more meaningless ambience. There are some moments that peak my interest but they're too rare. I'm sure it'll work great in the game adding tons of atmosphere to what looks like an exceptionally cool shooter. I'm gonna pick it up soon and see how the music functions within it. But as a standalone listen this will not get many spins. It's just sad the composers didn't use more of the themes from Halo, after all this is the same universe, same enemies, only different main character.

I agree with Steven saying it's rubbish if you see it from the POV of a pure film music fan, as the album is anything but memorable, synthesized or not. Personally, I don't dismiss it, but musically Halo 3: the sequel this ain't, whatever the title says.

Wait 'till you see the amount of promotional pushes this crap here is getting in facebook and other places. lol
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Inspired by Justin's thread:

Enemy at the Gates James Horner

My 50 minute version is far more enjoyable than the entire album. I love this score, and I'm glad Horner decided to reuse his 'A Building Panic' theme from Titanic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

My 50 minute version is far more enjoyable than the entire album. I love this score, and I'm glad Horner decided to reuse his 'A Building Panic' theme from Titanic.

Loved it too. Plus, It's the 4-note danger motif's most glorious appearance to date smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Loved it too. Plus, It's the 4-note danger motif's most glorious appearance to date smile

I disagree completely with that statement. IMHO, it is the most intrusive and most unnecessary use... and one of the many reasons why I NEVER listen to that score. The 4 note danger motif's BEST use is in Willow. Wasn't it part of Khan's Theme in STII as well?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's what i meant actually, it was to be taken with a bit of salty sauce tongue It's indeed completely out there and abruptly appearing here and there, and of course VERY loud and out of balance. But i find that the score has too many good points apart that, enough material to warrant listening.

2. Loved it too. Plus, It's the 4-note danger motif's most glorious appearance to date smile

I'd give that honour to 'Troy' myself! Watched 'Seven Pounds' last week and couldn't believe it when the danger motif turned up in it's score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    John Chambers wrote

I'd give that honour to 'Troy' myself! Watched 'Seven Pounds' last week and couldn't believe it when the danger motif turned up in it's score!

It's used in the same rough way indeed!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP : ERASER - Alan Silvestri

Kruger Escapes is arguably the finest action cue I have ever heard. If there's something even better out there I'm all ears! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009 edited
    John Chambers wrote

Or in Debney's Lair! Dood, seriously?! The four note danger motif?. Why not add in The Imperial March or echoplex trumpets. I guess Debney had to take a lift from every score ever made to get that score done! It's still a f__king awesome score though.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009 edited
    I think he just had a lot of fun doing this. We know that he doesn´t have to relate on lifting to write or finish a score. The way he incorporated the style (and quotes) from every great classic fantasy and/or action composer can only be considered to be an homage. It´s just too obvious to be everything else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Ugh. One of the few Horner scores I just can't ever face listening to.
  3. Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Ugh. One of the few Horner scores I just can't ever face listening to.

I've never been able to connect with the score as a whole but I find the 10 minute 'Betrayal' track to be one of the most powerful pieces of music Horner has ever written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I was just about to say that. 'Betrayal' is an excellent track, especially for a Horner fan like yourself, James!

I would suggest 'The River Crossing To Stalingrad', 'Vassili's Fame Spreads' and 'Betrayal' as a short playlist. They're three of my most played Horner tracks in fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    That's what i meant actually, it was to be taken with a bit of salty sauce tongue

Just like Abi Titmus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I was just about to say that. 'Betrayal' is an excellent track, especially for a Horner fan like yourself, James!

I would suggest 'The River Crossing To Stalingrad', 'Vassili's Fame Spreads' and 'Betrayal' as a short playlist. They're three of my most played Horner tracks in fact.

I haven't listened to it for YEARS! When I have a spare 36 hours, I'll pop the album on.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    That's what i meant actually, it was to be taken with a bit of salty sauce tongue

Just like Abi Titmus.

Innit, y' feel me!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

I haven't listened to it for YEARS! When I have a spare 36 hours, I'll pop the album on.

You'll only need a fraction of those 36 hours if you give those three tracks a try. (1/72 of 36 hours in fact.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Can you give me that as a percentage, please?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    The pain was a bit better this morning but is now coming back with a vengeance. Ouch ouch ouch.

Then i recommend you to listen to the following groundbreaking scores:

1. LOTR trilogy
    2. Predator
    3. Sleepy Hollow
    4. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. ( especially the track called "Kraken")

Just get your teeth near to the speaker and raise the volume and you will see the immediate effect. And this is called groundbreaking effect.

All the best.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    SLEEPERS – JOHN WILLIAMS

This is one of the most underrated score of Williams. According to me, this is one of the finest dramatic score ever composed by Williams. On some occasion, it sounds dull but it won’t make you to feel boring. I believe those who listen to this particular score they need to pay complete attention to each and every track. Hell’s kitchen, The Football Game, Rosemary’s prayer and Reunion are truly masterpieces. I really appreciate this score. I don’t know how many of you guys do really appreciate this least bothered score of all time, but I believe that all true film score fans should have this score in their collections.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Edward Scissorhands - Danny Elfman

Some of his most heartfelt music ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote

Let me get ma b.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote

Indeed!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sunil wrote
    Then i recommend you to listen to the following groundbreaking scores:

4. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. ( especially the track called "Kraken")

Come again? That score is terrible. Give me At World's End any day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Indeed!

-Erik-

Indeed!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Let me get ma b.

Pass it to me next.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    What's up with the Elfman-itis? tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I appreciate Danny boy but the choir in Edward Scissorhands makes me feel queesy, a score I honestly do not like.