• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012
    Bregt wrote
    British colony stuff?

No, war! I think my dad was there for about 3 years, jungle warfare and very lucky to come through it alive....luckily for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Probably, no one in my family knew where it was.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012
    God, I'm trying to follow the updates from the ongoing Anders Behring Breivik case, and it really sours the day. I should step back a bit and take it in in small, selected doses -- despite the massive media coverage. Seeing and hearing such evil spouted out does something to you.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    God, I'm trying to follow the updates from the ongoing Anders Behring Breivik case, and it really sours the day. I should step back a bit and take it in in small, selected doses -- despite the massive media coverage. Seeing and hearing such evil spouted out does something to you.

Has there been a lot of discussion on how to balance Norway's need for fairness and letting him air his views but at the same time not allowing the trial to be a platform for his views? It seems that he has been waiting for this day to arrive so that he can stand centre-stage and explain his "manifesto".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

Has there been a lot of discussion on how to balance Norway's need for fairness and letting him air his views but at the same time not allowing the trial to be a platform for his views? It seems that he has been waiting for this day to arrive so that he can stand centre-stage and explain his "manifesto".

Yes, they're talking about that all the time. They're not allowing broadcast of his warped ideology, but it's being updated in writing as the case goes on. It's a tricky case for the media -- at the one, you don't want him to have his platform, on the other hand you need to satisfy the need of the victim's families and the nation as a whole in terms of getting some explanations for his action, warped or not.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I did notice that his speech was not broadcast in the UK either: Sky News opted to have their correspondent's Twitter feed on-screen with choice "nuggets" of information.

I heard an interesting angle from what sounded like someone from the Norwegian media who was saying that this case is difficult also because Norway has a tradition of not reporting the gruesome details of cases. And with this case being shown live on TV, when the injuries of all the victims was gone into in great detail they had to frequently drop out the sound so that these details would not be broadcast.

That must have kept the director up in the gallery on his/her toes for a while!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The guy is a narcissist and he enjoys all the attention. Awarding him with a public trial I think is a poor decision. I tend to avoid all news about this nut, precisely because he wants the attention. Not that I'll have any impact, but I just dislike all the attention he's getting, understandable as it may be,

I wish it would be as easy as just locking him up and throwing away the key, instead of this huge and prolonged spectacle.

Peter
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I did notice that his speech was not broadcast in the UK either: Sky News opted to have their correspondent's Twitter feed on-screen with choice "nuggets" of information.

I heard an interesting angle from what sounded like someone from the Norwegian media who was saying that this case is difficult also because Norway has a tradition of not reporting the gruesome details of cases. And with this case being shown live on TV, when the injuries of all the victims was gone into in great detail they had to frequently drop out the sound so that these details would not be broadcast.

That must have kept the director up in the gallery on his/her toes for a while!

Yes, court cases are not typically shown on TV in Norway (unlike, say, the US), nor are the details revealed. In the case of the government bombing, for example, the attendees were shown actual security footage from the event, showing the devastating effect on the passerby victims. We as viewers, however, had to suffice with a 3D rendering without the explicitness.

I think that's tasteful and how it should be. However, I'm not sure I agree with the censorship of the entire trial (beyond ABB walking in and out of the courtroom, and his pleading).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I do think that broadcasters and authorities are trying to walk the fine line between what to and what not to show. But I do feel that the censorship of what we can and cannot see is a bit too far. The graphic horror of the effects of a shockwave and shrapnel on the human body should be limited to the general viewing population on the basis that the images are too shocking (but who decides what is too shocking?)

However, to censor "ABB"'s personal views does seem a bit extreme. What are the authorities afraid of? We should really be given the responsibility to hear his views and then decide on them. I am sure that the majority of people would be horrified at his ideaology.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's not the point: the point is he CRAVES the attention.
    He WANTS to make his point.
    He's utterly disinterested in who listens (although he deludes himself into thinking he's another Goebbels), but just wants the spotlight.

The authorities won't LET him: it'd be a reward and a final pay-off for him.
    Oh, whatever he wants to make public is sure to come about in a roundabout, indirect fashion, but we will, and should, NEVER get his soap box.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    However, to censor "ABB"'s personal views does seem a bit extreme. What are the authorities afraid of? We should really be given the responsibility to hear his views and then decide on them. I am sure that the majority of people would be horrified at his ideaology.

It's not censored, though. You can read everything he says here, for example (in Norwegian):

http://nrk.no/227/

Which is why I don't really understand why they can't broadcast it while they're at it. In a way, words on a PC screen can have just as big an effect as seeing him utter the words, with his facial expressions.

We have been pretty good in Norway to focus on the tragedy and the victims, and ignore the terrorist himself. It's been solidarity and compassion for the victims, not rage, fear and aggression towards the monster. But of course, once you enter the trial stage, the shift in focus is somewhat inevitable.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Martijn wrote
    That's not the point: the point is he CRAVES the attention.
    He WANTS to make his point.
    He's utterly disinterested in who listens (although he deludes himself into thinking he's another Goebbels), but just wants the spotlight.

The authorities won't LET him: it'd be a reward and a final pay-off for him.
    Oh, whatever he wants to make public is sure to come about in a roundabout, indirect fashion, but we will, and should, NEVER get his soap box.

All terrorists want the attention. Would you want all terrorist atrocities to be excluded from news reports, etc? These news bulletins will instil the fear in the general populous that the perpetrators of the acts would want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012 edited
    Not their atrocities. Their words! Their "political statements"!
    In other words: their "justifications"!

I want them to stand trial!
    I want the trial to be public!
    But I deny them the right to have a soap box.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012
    "We couldn't indict him for crimes against humanity, so let's make him manage the tourism trade instead."

Madness reigns. Logic has no more meaning.
    Reality crashes in upon itself, screaming in the agony of insanity.

If you should need me, I'm under the table, nurturing a particularly large rum and ice.
    Without the ice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow, that's surreal. How has he been elected?

The UN Suffers some blows recently. Annan and his peace plan for Syria, and the naivety of it all. It's all so very sad.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    "We couldn't indict him for crimes against humanity, so let's make him manage the tourism trade instead."

Madness reigns. Logic has no more meaning.
    Reality crashes in upon itself, screaming in the agony of insanity.

If you should need me, I'm under the table, nurturing a particularly large rum and ice.
    Without the ice.

I'd say you should be used to this insanity by now but no, I'm always amused* to be proved wrong. Mugabe is one of a growing handful of people I wish I could wish a long, lingering and dreadfully painful death upon.

*if i wasn't I'd go bonkers on the injustice.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012
    The architect of the crackdown in Syria has been killed (family of Assad, the president)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/ju … omb-attack

With the UN failing, Russia and China blocking everything, a creepy Free Syrian Army, ... It is so damn sadto see. Now Damascus is a fight zone.
    Kazoo
  6. For a minute I thought that the President of Syria himself had been killed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012
    Wishful thinking.
  7. It's probably hard to see how Syria could get worse, but I guarantee you the death of Assad would do it. A power vacuum with this sort of wind-up is not a pretty thing. It's only the military corps keeping him there, and they would still be there.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2012
    Horrible event, the mass killings and shooting at the BATMAN premiere in Denver. 14 killed and 50 wounded so far.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2012
    Indeed. Just saw this on news.
  8. Very tragic, but one more example of why guns should be forbidden in the U.S. And it won't be the last.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. it's really surreal
    they though it was a part of the act, part of a Batman act

horrifying sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2012
    One year since the atrocities in Norway today. Been many very moving arrangements in Oslo and Norway, and I've had a lump in my throat more than once. Right now a memorial concert downtown with thousands of people. Bruce Springsteen is rumoured to appear.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Very tragic, but one more example of why guns should be forbidden in the U.S. And it won't be the last.

It's so tragic. And just as tragic that they won't do anything about it. The "it's not guns that kill, it's people" argument is so asinine (someone who doesn't have a gun is rather less likely to shoot someone than someone who doesn't if you ask me). But this - along with abortion and any kind of state welfare - are topics I know never to mention to any of my American friends.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2012 edited
    And Springsteen did indeed show up, along with Little Steven in front of 60.000 spectators on the town hall square, singing "We Shall Overcome". But the really powerful moment for me was the song "Barn av Regnbuen" by famous Norwegian songwriter Lillebjørn Nilsen, an adaptation of the Peter Seeger song "My Rainbow Race" -- especially as the crowd sang along with roses raised high. And then it was capped off with the town hall bells playing the sublimely beautiful "Til Ungdommen" ("To the Youth") accompanied by the Norwegian Radio Orchestra on stage.

Kinda emotionally drained right now.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    Very tragic, but one more example of why guns should be forbidden in the U.S. And it won't be the last.

It is good to see some action being taken though. With a choice of banning firearms or banning wearing costumes in a cinema likely to make people uncomfortable, guess which one cinema owners are going for?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012
    As i already said in shittybook, my 2c:

Why are you crying in shock holding flags and candles when at the same time you refuse to abandon your gun adoration as a nation so that every now and then, your retarded gun laws give the opportunity to wackjobs to buy a sh*load of ammunition and weapons LEGALLY just because they have a white criminal record, and kill dozens of innocent people ? Do something about it and stop acting shocked about something you already knew it was bound to happen, and yet did nothing about it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012
    Demetris wrote
    As i already said in shittybook

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you