• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011
    lol I didn't realize! biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  1. Not really a "world event" but I couldn't think where else to put this.

There's a bit of a "craze" at the moment here in the UK of youths (probably) throwing bricks, rocks and concrete off bridges that cross motorways. Some incidents in England at the weekend led to some serious injuries of car drivers/passengers - luckily, no one has been killed yet. There have been a couple of incidents in Scotland as well over the last few days.

It baffles me why anyone would want to do this sort of thing: kicks, boredom, urges to kill? Who knows.

But I read today that the police advise drivers to be "alert driving under bridges". That's okay in principle, but how is that meant to work in practice? It usually happens at night and if you do see something suspicious when driving at 70+ mph what are you meant to do by the time you reach the bridge? Break suddenly, swerve out of the way into another lane? That may just cause other accidents.

Maybe this should have gone in the "annoying" topic!?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011
    I somehow think there's a higher chance of accidents happened if drivers start paying more attention to the bridges they drive under than the road, just because of the 1 in a billion chance that there's an idiot on it with a rock.

Peter smile
  2. plindboe wrote
    I somehow think there's a higher chance of accidents happened if drivers start paying more attention to the bridges they drive under than the road, just because of the 1 in a billion chance that there's an idiot on it with a rock.

Peter smile

That's certainly possible. Someone called the police the other day because they thought they saw someone leaning over the railing of one of these bridges. They thought that they were trying to time a "rock drop". Turns out what they saw was one of those cameras that monitors flow of traffic. Nine times out of ten (maybe even 999/1000) it's going to be kids just waving at the cars hoping to get a wave back.

But it people start swerving out of the way or are not paying attention to what's happening on the actual road then accident will happen.

I seem to recall a fatal accident being caused on a motorway when someone swerved to avoid a swan flying across the carriageway. Swerving caused a pile-up that led to some deaths. All for the sake of saving a swan. (Though, sometimes swerving is just a natural reaction to s situation such as that.)

On that last point, when I had my head-on crash years back, when I saw what was about to happen I do remember thinking that I can't swerve out of the way because I had no idea what I would be swerving into. So I just had to brace. (Though I am not sure how much of that recollection is what actually happened and what is post-accident analysis on my part.) As it turned out there was traffic passing me on the inside so I would have taken them out if I had have blindly swerved.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not really a "world event" but I couldn't think where else to put this.

There's a bit of a "craze" at the moment here in the UK of youths (probably) throwing bricks, rocks and concrete off bridges that cross motorways. Some incidents in England at the weekend led to some serious injuries of car drivers/passengers - luckily, no one has been killed yet. There have been a couple of incidents in Scotland as well over the last few days.

It baffles me why anyone would want to do this sort of thing: kicks, boredom, urges to kill? Who knows.

But I read today that the police advise drivers to be "alert driving under bridges". That's okay in principle, but how is that meant to work in practice? It usually happens at night and if you do see something suspicious when driving at 70+ mph what are you meant to do by the time you reach the bridge? Break suddenly, swerve out of the way into another lane? That may just cause other accidents.

It wasn't so many years ago that trains were targeted. Is this something that has continued to go on unreported over years until the "media" make something more of it?

Either way, these moronic cretins need to be caught and severely* punished.

*this will probably mean an ASBO and a youth supervision order rolleyes slant ....and not locked in stocks, whipped to within an inch of their lives and thrown in a damp, straw filled cell with no contact with the outside world until upon their release they can only walk with the aid of a zimmer frame.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Vote Timmer for Prime Minister. yeah
  3. A "zimmer frame" - that should get the topic a few more comments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    These things seem to move in 'waves': we've had a small plague of such occurrences in The Netherlands early in the year and last year. It seems to have tapered off now (knock on wood). As far as I remember -thank God- there were no casualties or serious injuries, but it was an absolute terror, and a lot of people were frightened very badly.
    So incredibly irresponsible. Truly disturbing. sad

FalkirkBairn wrote
    A "zimmer frame" - that should get the topic a few more comments.

lol
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not really a "world event" but I couldn't think where else to put this.

Here's a fast solution: throw the fuckers themselves off the bridge. Done.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2011
    I've just read abou the Belgium incident. Is everyone from Belgium around here well?
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I've held off on commenting as nobody is still clear on what it was that the f*ck happened!
    Speculations range from a failed prison break to -predictably- a terrorist attack.

sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Stavroula wrote
    I've just read abou the Belgium incident. Is everyone from Belgium around here well?

I don't believe anyone is located in Liége?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. 75 injured, 4 dead (including the killer) is what I'm reading here. Somebody threw a bunch of grenades at a bus stop, with plenty of people around.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This here is the first I've read of anything....WTF!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's pretty much what everyone else is wondering... slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011
    Just watching the news and the just plain fucking bizarre outpouring of choreographed grief for North Korea's Kim Jong ( he's beyond ) ill. I guess when you have the military filming you you'd better fucking cry and cry good or else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011
    About the meat: I eat less meat for different reasons. Meat production is very intensive and why eat meat if we can eat what the animal is eating as well... Secondly, and that helps a lot, I don't like meat that much anymore. The only thing I cannot resist is a steak every now and then or carpaccio or roast beef. I do eat fish, while I realize there is far too much fishing going on... I think on a weekly basis I eat one thing of meat. One or two things of fish and the rest is vegetarian. Quinn decided to be a vegetarian last year so that helped me trying new recipes and cooking vegetarian several times a week. Her motivation is simply because she adores animals and thinks we shouldn't eat them.

What was the other thing? Right, the brick droppers. I remember one woman died in the Netherlands because someone threw a brick from a bridge. That was one or two years ago, probably two then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Bregje wrote
    What was the other thing? Right, the brick droppers. I remember one woman died in the Netherlands because someone threw a brick from a bridge. That was one or two years ago, probably two then.

Crap, that was in 2005.... Perception of time is so weird.

A 30-year old woman died. The killers were 19 and 22 years old. There were three or four of them I think. Group pressure was an important factor. The thrower got nine years for murder, the passive participants four years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Meat production is very intensive...

That's my biggest grievance with meat, especially as it accounts for a very large majority of meat that is produced in the world. Seeing it first hand is not nice, I can assure you.

There will be a slight step forward in animal welfare once the ban on battery cages is enforced, but it's not quite as good as it might sound:

The RSPCA says many of the UK’s 17 million caged hens are simply being moved to only slightly bigger “enriched” cages instead of free range or barns:
    Enriched cages give the hens slightly more room, perches, scratching and nesting area. However the hens still have less usable space per bird than an A4 sheet of paper and are not able to properly express some natural behaviours like dustbathing and foraging.

But there are also organic farmers who genuinely care for their livestock. The slaughter part is never going to be nice, but they do adhere to certain standards and the animals have at least been given a healthy way of living beforehand. Farmers like this should be recognised and praised for their work I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I agree.
    I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing though. With intense I mean that meat industry takes a lot from the environment. I don't remember the ratio but 1 kilo of meat costs x kilos of vegetables, corn, rice, whatever. I prefer to eat the veggies then and not wear our fertile grounds and spoil good food.

I also care a lot about the conditions of the animals. These are two good reasons to eat less meat. One thing we can do is buy EKO meat. The animals have better lives and they eat organic vegetables. At least I hope so. With the upcoming EKO market I sometimes wonder if we are not being fooled...
    slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    For me, in terms of meat production, the welfare of the animal is primary; everything else is secondary (though still important). smile

I'd quite happily shoot those who mistreat and torture animals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Just to make sure: I agree! Animal torture is wrong, no matter for what reason, meat or no reason at all, that doesn't matter. Suffering is suffering.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I need my proteins! With all the other restrictions going on in my life right now, I'm certainly not going to add meat on top of it.

But of course, I have total respect for those who choose to have that lifestyle (whether 100% or severely reduced, like Bregje).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011
    You could go for the EKO meat and fish. Too bad it can be really expensive. I wish EKO farmer got more funding. Or just EKO food in general, so that everyone will buy it. It should be a standard really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011 edited
    Bregje wrote
    You could go for the EKO meat and fish. Too bad it can be really expensive. I wish EKO farmer got more funding. Or just EKO food in general, so that everyone will buy it. It should be a standard really.

I try to do that sometimes, even though it's a bit too expensive for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012
    I'm guessing most have seen this by now.

What I love about this article, as is usually the case in the media, is the way that nationality is put on a pedestal:

On Sunday morning, UK Foreign Secretary William Hague told Sky News all the Britons - 23 passengers and 12 crew - were now safe and accounted for.

Great! Glad to know that the superior race survived. rolleyes

crazy

...and I can't tell if this is serious or not:

Several passengers compared the accident to the film Titanic, about the sinking of the giant ocean liner in April 1912 which claimed more than 1,500 lives.

uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I'm guessing most have seen this by now.

What I love about this article, as is usually the case in the media, is the way that nationality is put on a pedestal:

On Sunday morning, UK Foreign Secretary William Hague told Sky News all the Britons - 23 passengers and 12 crew - were now safe and accounted for.

Great! Glad to know that the superior race survived. rolleyes

Yeah, I've never been able to understand that angle either. I'm always a bit annoyed when they say how many Norwegians are affected by whatever accident on the news. I don't give a monkey's toss about Norwegians! I want to know the full impact of it, regardless of nationality.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It makes sense for English/Norwegian news to report it like that, because there are English/Norwegian families and friends wanting to know whether their relatives and friends are ok.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Assuming that only British people privy to an article like that are concerned with British passengers. Sure, the odds are that they will be, but it's still strikes me as silly to single out one nationality.

They also refer to people by nationality far too often "This Korean man", "This Chinese family"... so what if they're Korean of Chinese!?