• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Eric wrote
    - The Host (A great Korean horror film , it surprised me pleasantly)
    - Planet Terror (Over the top horror , but great fun ! And Rose McGowan is yummy !)
    - Army Of Darkness aka Evil Dead III (Yet more fun and a great score to boot !)
    - Star Trek First Contact (The best next gen movie in my opinion !)

wow, some good buys there.

- The Host is indeed a good movie, it's not per se a monster movie, it shows more the inner struggles the family has with the disappearance of their child

- Planet Terror is over the top horror indeed, man what a brilliant production design punk

- Army of Darkness is the easiest of the three to appreciate, and it has a rousing orchestral score

- Star Trek First Contact is indeed for me the best of the New Generation movies, I love the baddies in it, and the Klingon twist is brilliant punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Eric wrote
    - Doctor Who - Complete Series 2 (As a new Who nut , an essential buy !)
    - Doctor Who - Complete Series 3 (As another new Who nut , an essential buy !)

But, as a "new Who nut", will you be buying the boxed set of all the specials?

We have all the new Doctor Who boxed sets - but even we won't be buying those. Too much of a variable quality.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote

We have all the new Doctor Who boxed sets - but even we won't be buying those. Too much of a variable quality.

Dunno yet if I'm gonna pick those up ... knowing myself I'll probably will ... wink
    What's wrong with the quality of those sets ?
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  3. Bought myself 2 Blu-Rays

- Toy Story 2, amazing movie and one of the ultimate best of the Pixar genre, I'm sure it will kick ass on Blu-Ray

- National Treasure: Book of Secrets: Equally fun as the first, and apparently kick ass in video and audio quality

I bought these because if you bought one on Play, you receive another for free (at least for Disney)
    Meaning, They both cost 22 euro's, and now I pay that amount for the 2 of them smile

Here's the link, buy you all, buy smile
  4. I sure as hell won't because apart from the Pixars I see a bunch of kiddie films and second-rate adventure flicks. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010 edited
    - The Incredibles
    - Toy Story 2
    - Monsters Inc.
    - Over The Hedge
    - Spy Kids
    - Spy Kids 2
    - Spy Kids 3
    - Star Wars Ewoks
    - Mighty Joe Young
    - Enemy Of The State

And yeah , most of those are for the kids ... or the kid in me ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I bought these because if you bought one on Play, you receive another for free (at least for Disney)
    Meaning, They both cost 22 euro's, and now I pay that amount for the 2 of them smile

Here's the link, buy you all, buy smile

It's not just Play - it seems to be a worldwide offer from Disney. Today I bought at the MediaMarkt (big multimedia shopchain) the following BluRays:

- Toy Story
    - Toy Story 2
    - Pinnochio
    - Snow White

Only paying for 2 of them - so essentially every title half price, which is rare for Disney, since they have a policy not to reduce prices on the classics. The offer runs at basically every selling point of Disney films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Eric wrote
    - Doctor Who - Complete Series 2 (As a new Who nut , an essential buy !)
    - Doctor Who - Complete Series 3 (As another new Who nut , an essential buy !)

Sure I will.
    David Tennant's goodbye!
    Even though I really rather disliked the direction and scripting of those particular scenes it, I like to have the series complete,
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    I sure as hell won't because apart from the Pixars I see a bunch of kiddie films and second-rate adventure flicks. tongue

blow it out your ass, but you'll be watching with me to those second rate adventure flicks wink
  6. Oh no, not National Treasure 1 & 2 again... Not exactly in love with those buddy, though they're mildly entertaining.

But then I've still got 'This Is It' to show you so I'd better do as you say. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Oh no, not National Treasure 1 & 2 again... Not exactly in love with those buddy, though they're mildly entertaining.

But then I've still got 'This Is It' to show you so I'd better do as you say. wink

aha, I think we have a consensus smile
  8. Consensus Schmensus.

I call it mutual benefit. wave
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    Consensus Schmensus.

either way, you have to watch 2, while I have to watch 1
    I win beer
  10. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Consensus Schmensus.

I win beer

Not exactly. I was thinking to go ahead and watch some MJ music videos afterwards, little brother. punk
  11. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Consensus Schmensus.

I win beer

Not exactly. I was thinking to go ahead and watch some MJ music videos afterwards, little brother. punk

you fuck, that wasn't part of the deal biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010 edited
    Well I'm resurrected, so I might as well do the same to the topic.

The Alien Anthology on Blu-ray

Holy smokes, I have owned the two previous releases on DVD, at one point I had the VHS of Aliens as well, but now watching one of my favourite sagas in hi-def, with restored picture and audio quality and loaded with bonus content, I just couldn't pass this up.

Alien is just such a tour de force of great direction, production design, special effects, music and suspense building it wil be a real joy to see this one once again, an experience like no other.

What can I say about Aliens, other than it's my favourite flick of all time, with unsurpassed action, brilliant characters and some of the most memorable lines in movie history. Not to mention a heart-stopping finale. One of Cameron's most satisfying finales I might add. Oh, and I forgot about the greatest animatronic monster ever done on film. The Alien queen kicks today's CGI spectacles' asses...

Alien 3 is one I've loved since I first saw it, respecting the makers for going down a darked road, with a real sense of dread and desperation, more so like in the first film. The score is one of the true highlights, I'm getting to respect it more and more each time I hear it. And the alternate cut is pretty good too.

Alien Resurrection, is okay for me, it's nothing great, compared to the earlier films but it has some good moments and I totally love the creature effects at the end, and Ripley's relationship with it.

I've gone and bought the UK edition, I just don't like the Facehugger edition on sale here in our country.

I will have to scream at least once when the box arrives at my doorstep !!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010 edited
    Ah, great, I ordered mine as well! After seeing how plain ugly the European Facehugger edition is, I also had to import. And after much deliberation, I went for the US edition that even contains Dutch subs. It's awesomeness in a box! And contains isolated scoretracks on all films, including a feature to listen to just the score-tracks as if it were a CD (so without the silent moments!).

Will arrive somewhere next week, and of course, the neighbours will hear me scream cool
  12. Listen to the score-tracks without long pauses? That's an awesome feature Bob. The first three films have amazing scores, and I will listen to them at one point or another, even though I have the albums too.

And you're right the US edition has dutch subs too. But I'm not sure about import taxes and the like, I'd have to pay a lot more besides the regular price. At least the UK will be delivered guaranteed tax-free.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Listen to the score-tracks without long pauses? That's an awesome feature Bob. The first three films have amazing scores, and I will listen to them at one point or another, even though I have the albums too.

I know! I only heard about it recently, after I ordered my copy, but it's available through the M-UT-HER navigation system. I heard it's not available for the director's cuts, only one version of the film, but still! So we basically now have a CD-version of the Alien 3 complete score on very high quality! (5.1 mix).

DreamTheater wrote
    And you're right the US edition has dutch subs too. But I'm not sure about import taxes and the like, I'd have to pay a lot more besides the regular price. At least the UK will be delivered guaranteed tax-free.

With axelmusic I didn't pay that much tax, I ultimately paid about 86,- (which is 7 euro above the 79,- price of the box itself for delivery and tax). But the UK edition is awesome as well, and beats the hell out of the cheap-ass European facehugger edition!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2010
    I'm not buying the blu-ray set. Not only because I don't have a blu-ray player, but mostly because I am MORE than pleased with my quadrilogy 9-DVD set, which in fact was an upgrade from the previous 4DVD set.

No, improved a/v quality or not, the next time I'll be upgrading these things (which are some of my favourite films) will be when the upcoming Scott prequel will be included in the set as well.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. That's good thinking, if you're willing to wait that long. I don't! dizzy

And have you seen the many screenshots that show what they did to upgrade the picture to hi-def Thor? The first two look absolutely stunning. I like the alternate color palette for Aliens, more pronounced blues than the DVD's greys and browns. Needless to say I'm as anxious to watch them like back when the first DVD set was released over in the States.
  14. BobdH wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Listen to the score-tracks without long pauses? That's an awesome feature Bob. The first three films have amazing scores, and I will listen to them at one point or another, even though I have the albums too.

I know! I only heard about it recently, after I ordered my copy, but it's available through the M-UT-HER navigation system. I heard it's not available for the director's cuts, only one version of the film, but still! So we basically now have a CD-version of the Alien 3 complete score on very high quality! (5.1 mix).

More than that even: lossless DTS-HD, you can hear every small detail in the sound design, if you have a good enough receiver/amp that is. This will be the absolute best Alien 3 will ever sound, untill blu's successor is announced, that is. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    That's good thinking, if you're willing to wait that long. I don't! dizzy

And have you seen the many screenshots that show what they did to upgrade the picture to hi-def Thor? The first two look absolutely stunning. I like the alternate color palette for Aliens, more pronounced blues than the DVD's greys and browns. Needless to say I'm as anxious to watch them like back when the first DVD set was released over in the States.

Afraid I haven't seen any screenshots. Just for curiousity's sake, where can I find them?
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Well all I could find are some Aliens screens, gives you a good impression what they did with the transfer of this problematically shot film when converting it to HD. Fox has deleted most referenced links towards other screen comparisons of the other films, because they were on-line pretty all over the place about a month ago.

Aliens comparative shots

Looks pretty spectacular if you ask me. Shame they aren't larger size screens though. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well all I could find are some Aliens screens, gives you a good impression what they did with the transfer of this problematically shot film when converting it to HD. Fox has deleted most referenced links towards other screen comparisons of the other films, because they were on-line pretty all over the place about a month ago.

Aliens comparative shots

Looks pretty spectacular if you ask me. Shame they aren't larger size screens though. punk

Wow, that IS impressive! Still, you need the equipment to make it show. My TV is still an old, 28'' FAT-screen TV!!
    I am extremely serious.
  16. Ouch man! You won't see much difference on such an old beast. Still in a few years time, if you'll have saved for a decent HDTV and the new blu-ray set to watch it on, hold on to your jaw as it drops to the floor... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2010
    DVDbeaver is the site to go to for comparing screenshots!

Alien
  17. Awesome Bob! Thanks for that. cool

Those Alien blu-ray shots are mindblowing! I think it's incredible how the can restore old films and make them look like they ware made only recently. Blade Runner and 2001: A Space Odyssey also come to mind.

Sometimes these old flicks look better than their glossy CGI colleagues of this day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Awesome Bob! Thanks for that. cool

Those Alien blu-ray shots are mindblowing! I think it's incredible how the can restore old films and make them look like they ware made only recently. Blade Runner and 2001: A Space Odyssey also come to mind.

Sometimes these old flicks look better than their glossy CGI colleagues of this day.

Indeed they do.

WAAAAAH! I wish the blue fairy would come, replace my entire DVD collection with spanking new blu-rays, as well as my ol' 2003 DVD player and fattie mid 90's TV with the latest models of bluray player and 50'' HDTV!

Hard to imagine that all of what I currently have was once state-of-the-art.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2010 edited
    You don't say! I'm in the process of replacing my most loved DVDs to their hi-def counterparts, selling this once state of the art technology for cheap.

Technological advances are great, but they come way too fast. Perhaps you should just wait for the successor of blu and HD in about 5-10 years time.

But seriously, I can't simply understand how picture and sound can possible be improved much more beyond what we have now.