• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012
    My God, are some Brits taking some shit way too seriously or what?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012 edited
    Well unless it was the intent of the pranksters to make that nurse kill herself, I think you can't blame them for anything here. It's just an unfortunate event and I'd expect a royal hospital to have better phone reception with the tabloid media in Britain. It annoys me personally that people now demonize those DJ's for something as dumb as a prank call (and in the history of prank calls, the lamest) and that people automatically assume that the nurse killed herself due to it. But you can surely count on the DJ's getting fired over this as a result.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's the whole princess thing which is completely out of proportion to me, and dumb, really; like the world doesn't have any problems to deal with.
  1. So the DJs did not consider the consequences of tricking members of hospital staff into giving medical information out to people?

With such a high-profile family there's the pressure to speak (I think that it would be difficult to say no to someone you thought was the Queen) and added pressure for the consequences of not following internal protocols.

Yes, if it is a suicide related to the call, then no one could have reasonably forseen the consequences. But what was the point of the call? To show people up as fools? Fools to be paraded in the public eye. It would take someone of strong character not to be affected.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Demetris wrote
    It's the whole princess thing which is completely out of proportion to me, and dumb, really; like the world doesn't have any problems to deal with.

It is ridiculous that this gets the coverage it does - a woman goes into hospital for a few days because of pregnancy-related sickness does not normally make the news.

But, in the UK, royalty sells newspapers and grabs viewers. I think that, to the press, Kate is the new Diana.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote

It is ridiculous that this gets the coverage it does - a woman goes into hospital for a few days because of pregnancy-related sickness does not normally make the news.

But, in the UK, royalty sells newspapers and grabs viewers. I think that, to the press, Kate is the new Diana.

I'm with you too Alan, I've never got it and I don't know a single one person in my life who gives a fig either. Who are these people who gobble up this news???
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And that's my whole point; it doesn't make it less dumb, to the rest of the world at least, that the whole-Kate is the new Diana-thing gets sooooo much coverage and importance. I am with the Aussies on this one.

(not to begin with the old Diana thing either, let's just leave it at that wink )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    My God, are some Brits taking some shit way too seriously or what?

Or how the media would want you to believe. It's all a crock....
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    And that's my whole point; it doesn't make it less dumb, to the rest of the world at least, that the whole-Kate is the new Diana-thing gets sooooo much coverage and importance. I am with the Aussies on this one.

(not to begin with the old Diana thing either, let's just leave it at that wink )

You're making too much of an issue over nothing D, drop it! tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Whether it's the media that overblows it or not, you are problably correct and you know more than me on this one since you live there; but either way, what is projected to the outside world, looks stupid.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's definitely the media. Nobody I know is brain washed by this BS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    With such a high-profile family there's the pressure to speak (I think that it would be difficult to say no to someone you thought was the Queen) and added pressure for the consequences of not following internal protocols.

Yes, isn't that sad really? What have they done to deserve this kind of royal treatment? That aside, this nurse isn't Bradley Manning, and the info she gave out is hardly news worthy. Also, people make mistakes. I can only imagine the backlash she got for embarrassing the royals, and who is the bogeyman then? Just saying.

FalkirkBairn wroteYes, if it is a suicide related to the call, then no one could have reasonably forseen the consequences. But what was the point of the call? To show people up as fools? Fools to be paraded in the public eye. It would take someone of strong character not to be affected.

The point of a prank call is to prank people, it is comedy (or an attempt at). Sarah Palin got prank called by Canadian DJs posing as the french president. biggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbEwKcs-7Hc
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Who are these people who gobble up this news???

Not to sound elitist (although I suppose that's exactly what it is), but common people. People who are happy to go about their lives in ignorance not discovering the magic, beauty and wonder of the natural world. People who find idle chit chat more interesting than the latest discoveries and developments in science, medicine and technology. People who are content with watching god-awful 'reality' TV shows rather than interesting documentaries and well written fiction. People who like the Twilight films.

...sorry. I may be ranting due to the fact that I have to deal with these people most days. I call them "locals".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I posted a big rant and it disappeared. sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No it's still here Steven, I think Francis has inadvertantly screwed it up with his tags.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I fixed it. Now worship me. Also i am with Steven, although i call them 'retarded people', the ones who worship the crown. :sigh:
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Timmer wrote
    No it's still here Steven, I think Francis has inadvertantly screwed it up with his tags.

ok never mind. My tags are fixed (that hurt) wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2012
    A friend visited me the other day and I have to ask myself ( and him ) why, when his eyes are bloodshot red and his nose is dripping like a bunch of chains hanging in the Nostromo on to engineer Brett's face.

And guess what? angry :ill:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  3. The last few nights have been clear and crisp - great for meteor watching. Tonight is a peak night for meteor shower. And guess what?

Cloud! Typical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2012 edited
    Southall wrote
    Oh bollocks.

www.movie-wave.net

It would appear that my Wordpress database has been wiped. That's the database that holds fifteen years of reviews. And it would also appear that at some point I switched off the automatic backup facility. And I have no manual backups.

Oh bollocks.
  4. Oh no!

I hope that this is not as catastrophic as it seems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    So do I. Waiting for a response from support...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2012
    Thank Christ. Panic over. My host was incorrect when they told me I had deactivated the automatic backups - and now it's been restored.
  5. Southall wrote
    Thank Christ. Panic over. My host was incorrect when they told me I had deactivated the automatic backups - and now it's been restored.

Good news!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The last few nights have been clear and crisp - great for meteor watching. Tonight is a peak night for meteor shower. And guess what?

Cloud! Typical.

Same here...darn! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote

You can also do an export of your WordPress now and then. It packs all content and images in one package that you can use to install on other server or if everything has been lost. But since you're with a good hosting company, backups are taken automatically. How did it happen btw?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2012
    It annoys me a little bit that it's getting dark so quickly!

These days, I get up between 10 and 11 AM (since I usually stay up to 3 AM every night), and then I have just a couple of hours of daylight before it starts to get dark. By 16:00, it's pitch black, and that's when I want to 'start the day' properly. Granted, we have more daylight here than up in the North of Norway (where it's basically dark 24/7 during the winter), but still...

When is it getting dark where you live?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2012
    About 5 pm.