• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen Steve Jablonsky

[blue]The redeeming feature of the first score was the shear unadulterated fun. It was a McDonalds meal; wasn't particularly filling, wasn't complicated, perhaps wasn't even that healthy... but it tasted damn good if you're in the mood for it.

I´d say McRat is shit, no matter the mood you´re in. Sorry, off topic.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Actually, a Chicken Legend isn't bad. And their fries are quite good!

It's a bit of a guilty pleasure on my part. Good hangover cure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009 edited
    NP: Knowing - Marco Beltrami

It's obvious that I'm reviewing some of my favorite scores of the past 6 months and this one is a gem! Jagged Herrmannesque strings highlight "Door Jam" which is one of the finest cues I've heard from Beltrami. I don't mind the slower middle portions of this album which lead to the most satisfying 20 minutes of film music you will hear all this year beginning with "Shock and Aww." An excellent effort by Beltrami and one of the best score of the year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Beowulf~ Alan Silvestri

Rocking my house very,very hard! punk
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: Beowulf~ Alan Silvestri

Rocking my house very,very hard! punk

Oddly enough the cover to that is facing me right now atop a small pile of CD's I haven't yet put back on the shelf. wink

NP : THE PHANTOM - David Newman

Brilliant action score cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: TMNT -- Klaus Badelt

Some cool themes and cool moments like Ultraviolet
    fun score all the same
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Just finished with the remainder of Terminator: Salvation. I don't think I'll be return to it any time soon. And boy, does the album end with a whimper. So, I decided to finish off my Terminator listen with Erich Kunzel's brilliant rendition of Fiedel's classic main theme!

-Erik-

Really? As far as i am concerned, it's beyond the rest of the Terminator material, all 3 movies before it.

Steven wrote
    Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen Steve Jablonsky

The redeeming feature of the first score was the shear unadulterated fun. It was a McDonalds meal; wasn't particularly filling, wasn't complicated, perhaps wasn't even that healthy... but it tasted damn good if you're in the mood for it. This score, however, is like a bad kebab from a dodgy takeaway. Doesn't even taste that good. Can only be enjoyed when very drunk.

When RC composers take themselves too serious, that's the result wink But i like this one here.

lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I quite ike its calmer and more dramatic nature to tell you the truth; there are moments which are very effective and emotional, such as the stunning opening track and "Infinite White" for instance. Other tracks like (for instance) "Heed our Warning" are complete Angels and Demons' rip offs but originality was never an issue with Jablonsky in the first place; makes me wonder who wrote what in Angels and Demons wink

Where's the Angels & Demons rip? If anything, "Heed Our Warning" took it's inspiration from Vangelis' score to Ridley Scott's 1492. Check out "Hispanola" on the official album.

I am not talking note-to-note rip, it's more in the stylistic approach of the orchestrations and the choir, there are tracks with staccato vocal phrases that could easily be part of the ANGELS AND DEMONS score without anyone noticing; and don't tell me Jablonsky isn't influenced by Zimmer 'cause this is where i'll LOL wink

Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Un Homme et Son Chien - Philippe Rombi

Easily the best score I've heard this year!

EDIT - Someone recently asked if there were any composers out there that could write themes like Poledouris or Delerue... well, allow me to introduce you to Philippe Rombi.

-Erik-

One of the most sensible things i've read in the forums lately, thankfully. People, take note.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Actually, a Chicken Legend isn't bad. And their fries are quite good!

It's a bit of a guilty pleasure on my part. Good hangover cure.

I too have McDonald's as a guilty pleasure man! And pleasure with CAPS! beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I quite ike its calmer and more dramatic nature to tell you the truth; there are moments which are very effective and emotional, such as the stunning opening track and "Infinite White" for instance. Other tracks like (for instance) "Heed our Warning" are complete Angels and Demons' rip offs but originality was never an issue with Jablonsky in the first place; makes me wonder who wrote what in Angels and Demons wink

Where's the Angels & Demons rip? If anything, "Heed Our Warning" took it's inspiration from Vangelis' score to Ridley Scott's 1492. Check out "Hispanola" on the official album.

I am not talking note-to-note rip, it's more in the stylistic approach of the orchestrations and the choir, there are tracks with staccato vocal phrases that could easily be part of the ANGELS AND DEMONS score without anyone noticing; and don't tell me Jablonsky isn't influenced by Zimmer 'cause this is where i'll LOL wink

I think this is the case where you've assumed too much. Your example of "Heed Our Warning" wasn't a good example, since that track was clearly inspired by the Vangelis track. Check it out.
    With the album, there are a lot of Jablonsky-ism in here along side with the requisite Zimmer-isms. I've heard some TDK-esque string work and even some Frost/Nixon styling too. And there's even a short string passage seemingly taken from HGW's Wolverine score. But not once did I sense Angels & Demons in it. But whatever, we hear what we want to hear.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Got the house to myself so some LOUD self indulgence.

NP : STARSHIP TROOPERS - Basil Poledouris

Hey Steven, not quite as crap as I thought it was!? biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote

Cool! Either way, this site really needs some more Giacchino reviews, in my opinion. smile

I'm working on it tongue

Awesome. punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote

Cool! Either way, this site really needs some more Giacchino reviews, in my opinion. smile

I'm working on it tongue

Awesome. punk

Can I do the two remaining Lost ones? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, sure you can get lost.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Anthony wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote

I'm working on it tongue

Awesome. punk

Don't know, I already did those ones and I was intending to put them on the site as well
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. NP: Largo Winch (Desplat)

What I don't quite understand is... this score is as dependent on its basic 'becoming-a-hero' motif as Giacchino's STAR TREK is on its ubiquitous 'Batman' main theme. They serve roughly the same role in each score. Yet I love this score for the most part, while I wouldn't particularly mind if I never heard the other one again. (Not that it isn't worth listening to, but if I had to take 500 cds with me to an island, I don't know that I'd include it.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    One of THE greatest scores of all time...

NP : CLOSE ENCOUNTERS of THE 3rd KIND - John Williams

Nuff said cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Anthony wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote

I'm working on it tongue

Awesome. punk

Don't know, I already did those ones and I was intending to put them on the site as well

Well I've already done 3 + 4 so I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the other two. smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: THE INCREDIBLES - Michael Giacchino

I think other than the fourth season of Lost, this will remain my favourite Giacchino score. As Steven mentioned though, I think a lot of us are Giacchino'd out for now, so I'm forcing myself to take a break after this.

Yeah right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Nuff said cool

For those who already have it, for sure. For those who don't, 'go listen to it immediately' is perhaps more appropriate.

One of those scores I HAVE to listen to all the way through. Single tracks just won't do. The build up to the final piece of music is half of the experience of that final piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Hallelujah Trail - Overture Elmer Bernstein

One of the GREATEST feel good tracks I know of!

punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Just finished with the remainder of Terminator: Salvation. I don't think I'll be return to it any time soon. And boy, does the album end with a whimper. So, I decided to finish off my Terminator listen with Erich Kunzel's brilliant rendition of Fiedel's classic main theme!

-Erik-

Really? As far as i am concerned, it's beyond the rest of the Terminator material, all 3 movies before it.

Well, you know where I stand on the music of Terminator.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. NP: The Haunted Palace - Ronald Stein

One of my favourite scores from the B-movie genre.

Whatever happened to this type of release from Percepto?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, sure you can get lost.

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

punk punk punk

FACT! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Nuff said cool

For those who already have it, for sure. For those who don't, 'go listen to it immediately' is perhaps more appropriate.

One of those scores I HAVE to listen to all the way through. Single tracks just won't do. The build up to the final piece of music is half of the experience of that final piece.

FACT TWICE! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote

punk punk punk

Followed by the also brilliant "Which Way Did They Go".
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Bourne Supremacy - John Powell

I'm in Bourne mood today as well. Some of the finest action scoring ever, IMO!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    The 'Burbs (Deluxe)
    One of those to listen to beginning to end.
    Absolute brilliance.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Nuff said cool

FACT TWICE! punk

One of his all time best!

THAT'S A FACT!!!

The Cassandra Crossing (Jerry Goldsmith)

There's something about this one. It's not an easy one to get into, but has some splendid themes, and the action material is very interesting and makes you sit up and notice. I totally love the pop song rendition of the main theme in It's All A Game (Instrumental).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Tears Of The Sun - Hans Zimmer

I love it when Zimmer does ethnic music, especially with Lebo M! Some really beautiful music here, lovely emotional music, MV-ish action music and ethnic vocals, really great listening experience! punk