• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO - land of the lost

This stuff is definitely not for me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote

Then who's it for? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

I haven't heard it yet, what did you not like about it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Then who's it for? wink

Someone else I can only assume.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

I believe there are now four of us who don't rant and rave about [Secret Weapons Over Normandy]

I can certainly appreciate its technical qualities, for which it deserves a lot of praise, but it still leaves ME very cold whenever I've listened to it. Can't say I'm a fan of the way it sounds either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    How weird.
    I have the exact same thing with every single other Giacchino score...but I love Secret Weapons Over Normandy!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Can't say I'm a fan of the way it sounds either.

BLASPHAMY!!!! Steve Smith's recording and mix is SUPERB!!!! I attended the sessions and let me tell you... the way the score sounds on CD is pretty much the way it sounded live! The acoustics in that old church are surprisingly really, really good. You wouldn't think so with how HIGH THE CEILING IS but the orchestra sounds BRILLIANT no matter where you are standing or sitting.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I will give it another proper listen later on, see if my opinion of it has changed since the last time I heard it. Again, I emphasize that I do think it deserves much praise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Valkyrie - John Ottman

Lovely score with some beautiful thematic material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote

That last choral track floors me. One of my favourite pieces of music from quite a number of recent scores. The rest lags a little with a few interesting action cues, but it's really that choral piece that gives me a scoregasm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Indeed. Some truly inspiring material it is! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I have a tone of things to do and I don't know where to start! So I think I'll have marathon listening for the following 3 days.

For now then: Angels and Demons
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Terminator Salvation Danny Elfman

'The Harvester Returns' = punk

Love love love this score. Pure hardcore Elfman and perhaps the nicest surprise of 2009. Bring on more Elfman/terminator scores!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen

The most interesting part about this album is that it is some what chronological, similar to the album for the first movie. The plot points are there, just not the action. The thematic materials is good and plentiful given the foci of the movie, Optimus and Fallen. The action materials are disturbingly lacking. There are so much score that were not released. Even "Forest Battle" is incredibly truncated almost to the point of irrelevancy. An extra 10-15 minute of action music would have made this album awesome. Perhaps they're going to do a second album?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE THIEF WHO CAME TO DINNER - Henry Mancini

Great stuff! cool

I've always enjoyed Mancini's music but at this later stage of my film score life I've gained so much more appreciation for this brilliant composer.

This and his Nightwing are two of the most enjoyable albums I've heard this year.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bliss - Jan Kaczmarek

Got this one through Christian (Desjardins...remember him from ol' Scorereviews? smile ).
    A softspoken, slow-moving, very melancholy score.
    A perfect fit for approaching dusk and an introspective, reflective mood.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Introspective and reflective? For any specific reason? Or lots of little specific reasons?
  1. NP: Home - Armand Amar

Listening to the deluxe edition of this at the moment and I'd certainly say that the extra cues in this are certainly not just "filler" tracks. There are tracks that are more of the same (high quality) music heard in the shorter version as well as there being tracks that add variety to the listening experience.

If it could be compared to other "deluxe editions"/expansions it's definitely up there with titles such as Total Recall and Conan The Barbarian!

I think that this is my favourite Amar title.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: UP -- Michael Giacchino

First listen, can you believe it?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

That last choral track floors me. One of my favourite pieces of music from quite a number of recent scores. The rest lags a little with a few interesting action cues, but it's really that choral piece that gives me a scoregasm.

Indeed; that piece is shocking; shame the rest of the score doesn't quite follow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Indeed; that piece is shocking; shame the rest of the score doesn't quite follow.

I personally think the score balances out rather nicely. I really enjoy the Munichesque suspense music in the middle of the album.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Terminator: Salvation - Danny Elfman

I like it! It doesn't blow me away or anything but there's a lot of new ideas that we haven't heard from Elfman before which is quite refreshing. And the sound is superb!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

I like it! It doesn't blow me away or anything but there's a lot of new ideas that we haven't heard from Elfman before which is quite refreshing. And the sound is superb!

-Erik-

I will admit I don't expect many other people to love it as much as I do, I'm a bit of a sucker for this type of scoring. But I do generally hope for opinions likes yours!
  3. NP: La Terre vue du Ciel (Armand Amar)

I like the way some film composers have taken minimalism in new directions. The way Amar uses it alongside world music textures and simple satisfying chord progressions always makes his music a great listen for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: UP -- Michael Giacchino

Yep!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

beer punk You gonna review it? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Secret Weapons Over Normandy - Michael Giacchino

Can't... get... over... this... score's... AWESOMENESS! shocked cheesy punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I haven't heard it yet, what did you not like about it?

Messy, all over the place, and banjos with electric guitars confused
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Yep!

Great listen, isn't it?
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more! The score's a killer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    STEVE JABLONSKY - transformers : revenge of the fallen

My, someone has been listening to ANGELS AND DEMONS a lot wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    STEVE JABLONSKY - transformers : revenge of the fallen