• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Taras Bulba (Waxman)

Great stuff to shoot down the motorway to. 'Ride to Dubno' is so justly acclaimed. smile
    It would be nice to hear a rerecording of this one, but I can't say I feel it needs much more music. Just a fuller recording of the original score would be nice. (And replacing the 50s chorus with a violin/cello duet in the love song would be great too. It's a bit saccharine as it is.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2009
    Curly Sue - Georges Delerue

And so, my heart melts. kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Southall wrote
    Curly Sue - Georges Delerue

And so, my heart melts. kiss

It was my first Delerue CD. Absolutely touching music, mostly the finale. Good choice, James!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: The da Vinci Code (Zimmer)

I love every second of this score. But probably my favourite moments are : "Fructus Gravis" using sangreal's theme and "rose of arimathea" rendition of Mariga magdalen's theme.

3 years ago I was reading and addicted to Da Vinci Code book. I read the book listening "hannibal" and waiting for Zimmer score.

Now I want to do the same process, While I'm listening the Da Vinci Code score, I'm reading angels and Demons waiting for Zimmer score.

PS: I started the book 2 years ago, but it was too silly (yes, more than Da Vinci Code, wich at least was addictive). I'm trying again.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : The Greatest Story Ever Told - Alfred Newman

This is actually playing on TV right now and it's just lovely listening to the score. The film is boring but I eagerly await John Wayne's scene stealing performance wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE - Max Steiner

Morgan & Stromberg make this sound as fresh as today cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

That bad, eh?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

That bad, eh?

Yeap, it's a bad mudderfucka.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MERLIN - Trevor Jones

Darn fine fantasy score punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

Mariga magdalen's theme.

Hehe...heh...
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. BhelPuri wrote
    Mark McKenzie - Blizzard

Opened the cd only a few days ago after having bought it when it was released. Excellent! McKenzie sounds a lot like Delerue in the emotional stuff-- those oboes and staccato brass! :melt:

hehe, thanks to you I was able to hear it, purchased immeadiately the last copy at screen archives (for a reasonable price too I might add)

This is his best score
    Goddamn brilliant punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Mariga magdalen's theme.

Hehe...heh...

What is mariga?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    NP : The Greatest Story Ever Told - Alfred Newman

This is actually playing on TV right now and it's just lovely listening to the score. The film is boring but I eagerly await John Wayne's scene stealing performance wink

"Wall now missy, truly this WUZ da sonuv Gawd."

(OK. Without the "missy"...but in my mind I hear it always. smile )

Grand stuff. Too bad I missed it. Work -as ever- interfered with what I'd rather do (although I would probably have been outside today: what a glorious day!).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2009
    NP: Jurassic Park - John Williams

Great score, with excellent main themes! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote

And the Pope is also Catholic. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    William wrote

confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection - John Williams

Starting at the beginning and working my way through the whole thing. Good stuff, so far. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    North and South - Bill Conti

Simply magnificent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Since it is Easter time I put on some religion inspired music today. Just finished:

Papa Giovanni - Marco Frisina
    Not his best soundtrack, but in Frisina's case this means that it's still absolutely gorgeous and very, very good.
  4. William wrote
    Steven wrote
    William wrote

confused

It's an example of stating the obvious smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Reading Anthony's review of his concert experience yesterday has fired me right up into playing......

NP : STAR WARS - John Williams

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    PawelStroinski wrote
    William wrote
    Steven wrote
    William wrote

confused

It's an example of stating the obvious smile

Ah, I see. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Just finished:

The Passion of the Christ - Debney
    Since my first listen 5 years ago I've been struggling to find that extraordinary something in this score that everybody is raving about but so far I haven't been successful. From the 15 tracks there are only 6 that I find good, the other 9 is just brooding strange Middle-Eastern instruments without the slightest sign of a melody of any kind (and MELODY is a keyword for me in music!) If I had to choose a score for a film about Jesus I would choose King of Kings by Rozsa over this any time. The truth is, I am really curious what James Horner would have come up with had he been given the chance to score this movie.

Meet Joe Black - Thomas Newman
    Now, that's what I call a masterpiece and that's the Thomas Newman I like (not his 0.25 length tracks)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Tibet: Cry Of The Snow Lion - Jeff Beal and Nawang Khechog

A quite lovely background listen. Very soothing and full of authentic Tibetan flute and voice performances over soft electronics and percussion.

smile
  5. keky wrote
    Just finished:

Since my first listen 5 years ago I've been struggling to find that extraordinary something in this score that everybody is raving about but so far I haven't been successful. From the 15 tracks there are only 6 that I find good, the other 9 is just brooding strange Middle-Eastern instruments without the slightest sign of a melody of any kind (and MELODY is a keyword for me in music!) If I had to choose a score for a film about Jesus I would choose King of Kings by Rozsa over this any time. The truth is, I am really curious what James Horner would have come up with had he been given the chance to score this movie.

Meet Joe Black - Thomas Newman
    Now, that's what I call a masterpiece and that's the Thomas Newman I like (not his 0.25 length tracks)

I've heard that Horner was supposed only to score the End Credits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2009 edited
    That would have been better. I think the use of music cheapened the point that Gibson was obviously trying to hammer home, no matter how good the music is on its own. But hey, that's just my opinion...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2009 edited
    North and South - Bill Conti

One of the best tv scores ever. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just playing a selection of favourite tracks at the moment....

NP : The Seduction of Suki and The Ballroom Scene - John Williams from THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK

Glorious sexy and mysterioso track from the master cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    keky wrote
    Just finished:

Man, this would have been an awesome project for Marco Frisina! sad
    And while on religious themed scores do check out Paulo Buonvino's fantastic score for Padre Pio. There's a youtube video from Passion of the Christ set to Buonvino's music. I love it- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFQ9e8LZHUE