• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    Final Fantasy VIII: Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec (Nobuo Uematsu)

If you want to check out one Final Fantasy videogame album, this is the one to go for, fully orchestral, with impressive choir in some of the tracks. It features all the major themes in concert arrangements, which are splendid by the way in their synthesized in-game form, but fantastic when performed by a major orchestra. It's all very melodic, beautiful and accessible, even if you haven't played the game.

How does it compare to Goldenthal's masterpiece?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

If you want to check out one Final Fantasy videogame album, this is the one to go for, fully orchestral, with impressive choir in some of the tracks. It features all the major themes in concert arrangements, which are splendid by the way in their synthesized in-game form, but fantastic when performed by a major orchestra. It's all very melodic, beautiful and accessible, even if you haven't played the game.

It doesn't. Apples and oranges in this case, they just happen to share the same franchise name. The Final Fantasy music is very well suited for concert performances, whereas Goldenthal's music is definitely score music (If stating the obvious makes any sense there?)
  1. Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

It doesn't. Apples and oranges in this case, they just happen to share the same franchise name. The Final Fantasy music is very well suited for concert performances, whereas Goldenthal's music is definitely score music (If stating the obvious makes any sense there?)

Like Steven said they have nothing in common. FF VIII is more emotional, uplifting, without a feeling of a flowing score, it's just a series of themes, gorgeous however. The ending theme is particularly noteworthy for its haunting climax.

What Goldenthal wrote is just the opposite end of this: dark and menacing but with the feeling of a proper beginning, middle and end.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice, thanks!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2009 edited
    NP : THE LEGEND OF THE LONE RANGER - John Barry

Cheesy song, typical Barry score, plus the famous Lone Ranger theme ( Rossini's The William Tell Overture ) make for a great fun though very short album cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Nice, thanks!

yep I definitely recommend it, if you're looking for a review, I reviewed my brother's version

http://users.telenet.be/soundtrack-fm/R … ntasy8.htm

only disc 1 of course wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Versus - Nobuhiko Morino

Versus … a stylish action/horror film with lots of blood and gore and a hint of comedy thrown in for good measure . The OST is a mixed synth / techno bag . It does the trick nicely in the movie but don't expect an easy listen without the images ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2009 edited
    NP: FAST AND FURIOUS - Brian Tyler

SO. MUCH. BAAAASSSS.

Same model original parts? Yup. It's almost a clone of the first, but with more electronics and less electric guitars. That ain't a bad thing though. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

SO. MUCH. AAAASSSS.

I know you have these girls coming round later on, but calm yourself dawg. Be cool.
  3. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. NP: Battlestar Galactica 3 (Bear Mccreary)

One of the stronger albums I have from the last few years. It's interesting the way this show morphed - almost imperceptably - from the purely textural scoring of the miniseries to the theme-driven music Bear Mccreary filled this album with. 'Storming New Caprica', 'Violence and Variations' (actually a string-based dramatic piece - written for a boxing scene!), 'Mandala in the Clouds', 'Deathbed and Maelstrom' are all incredible. I've now seen the third season of the show, so I know where all these pieces fit in. The cue which really was a revelation in context was 'Someone to Trust'. I liked the fiddle-erhu duet on its own, but to see it under that scene where Baltar undergoes a very personal change... really good.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2009
    Anthony wrote
    NP: FAST AND FURIOUS - Brian Tyler

SO. MUCH. BAAAASSSS.

Same model original parts? Yup. It's almost a clone of the first, but with more electronics and less electric guitars. That ain't a bad thing though. wink

How to put simply? Well?

WANT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Wasn't that going to be released on the 28th? Is it on iTunes already?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BRIAN TYLER - fast & furious [2009]

What new tricks? It's the same libraries, the same orchestra, the same style, same arrangements and orchestration, very similar themes. Equally enjoyable though wink
  5. North and South - Bill Conti

First Listen

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HOOK - John Williams

Not a Williams favourite of mine but still a 4/5 score....go figure wink cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Leviathan (Goldsmith)

I love the whales (Not dolphins hehe) effects, and the synthetiser touch on this one. But I always had problems with the "love theme" (if it's the love theme).While the variations and arrengements are pretty inspired, I always thought it was a too positive and good feeling theme for this movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2009 edited
    Not a film score but what the hey....

NP : CANTO OLYMPICO - Mikis Theodorakis

This is a huge and fabulous work and I just know loads of you here would love it too, I know for a fact that D will agree with me 100%.

In fact, while I'm at it I'm dedicating this play to our two good Greeks D and Stavi here celebrating birthdays beer smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FABULOUS indeed. It's one choral / orchestral work of massive qualities and sadly overlooked, even in the composer's own country.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    FABULOUS indeed. It's one choral / orchestral work of massive qualities and sadly overlooked, even in the composer's own country.

It really is one of the most joyous exuberant works I can think of, it just never fails to fill me with possitive energy, magnificent and a modern classic IMO and what a shame it isn't recognised as such in you're homeland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The vast majority of my country is killing their already diminished in number braincells in the bouzoukia.

Not that i'd 100% blame them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    The vast majority of my country is killing their already diminished in number braincells in the bouzoukia.

GIRRRLLLLLLSSS!!! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

GIRRRLLLLLLSSS!!! lick

That's about a 10 minute car ride from where i live tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

GIRRRLLLLLLSSS!!! lick

That's about a 10 minute car ride from where i live tongue

I'm on my way biggrin

NP : SATURN 3 - Elmer Bernstein

Excellent sci-fi score, big stuff and an at times challenging listen.

EDIT TO ADD:-

I just found out it would have been Elmer's birthday today sad At least we can all listen to the mans great body of work and oh, Stavi, you celebrate you're birthday on the same day as one of film musics true geniuses. cool beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GO-BETWEEN - Michel Legrand

Unfortunately the original score to this has never been released, this is a 19 minute suite for Harp, Clavecin ( an 18th century instrument said to be the worlds first electronic instrument, it sounds like a harpsichord and if I hadn't looked it up I'd have thought it WAS a harpsichord ) and orchestra. It's an amazingly captivating work, entrancing. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE KILLING FIELDS - Mike Oldfield

Love this score, even the synth bits which are at times unnerving and quite inspired. The purely orchestral highlights are achingly few but when it does happen it's gobsmackingly beautiful and heartbreaking all at once.
  6. Timmer wrote

Love this score, even the synth bits which are at times unnerving and quite inspired. The purely orchestral highlights are achingly few but when it does happen it's gobsmackingly beautiful and heartbreaking all at once.

Which tracks contain the "orchestral highlights"?

NP: Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid - Burt Bacharach

My first listen to this one - and I'd forgotten how wonderful "South American Getaway" is (from watching the movie).
    cool
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Christodoulides wrote

What new tricks? It's the same libraries, the same orchestra, the same style, same arrangements and orchestration, very similar themes. Equally enjoyable though wink

ow cool, meaning a Tyler album like all the others confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Which tracks contain the "orchestral highlights"?

NP: Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid - Burt Bacharach

My first listen to this one - and I'd forgotten how wonderful "South American Getaway" is (from watching the movie).
    cool

I'll check through it after it finishes Alan.

I think South American Getaway is a wonderful track, the album is worth it for that track alone IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

ow cool, meaning a Tyler album like all the others confused

Basically yeah;