• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2009
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Bolt (Oscar Promo) - John Powell

The amount of unreleased material here is surprising! This is the way the score should've been released in the first place. I wish the quality was at least 320 kbps though, but better than nothing for now! A great score!

I'm assuming you have it in VBR? (Ranging from 223-257kbps.) This is becoming an age old argument, but trust me, you wouldn't notice the difference even if you did have it 320! I'm perfectly happy with what was leaked. Fantastic score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yeah, I have the VBR. It sounds very good, agreed!

But I have an unfortunate habit of getting scores I like a lot in lossless tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2009 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Bolt (Oscar Promo) - John Powell

The amount of unreleased material here is surprising! This is the way the score should've been released in the first place.

Judging from the length of most releases, it probably was intended to be this way.

DemonStar wrote
    But I have an unfortunate habit of getting scores I like a lot in lossless tongue

Nothing is lossless. As Steven said, when you go above 220kbps, you can't tell a difference. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Exactly, which is why I keep only MP3 in my pocket player wink

Lossless (APE or FLAC) is for archival purpose and for making my own mp3s for my player.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE PERFECT STORM - James Horner

L - O - U - D - !!!!! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

One of my All Time Favourites™ that. It was one of the very first Horner scores I bought (perhaps the first?), and to this day I still think it's one of his best. Old tricks it may have, but in this score Horner brings them all together for an amazing experience. The action material is Grade A stuff, I really miss that type of scoring from Horner these days.

In my mind, it should have been called The Perfect Album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron (Expanded) - Hans Zimmer

Yet another score where the unreleased material shines on the boot version. Tracks like Train Escape, Canyon Chase and Run Free are really great, though Train Escape (a fun action cue) is a bit poor quality being a web rip, but still very enjoyable. I hope someone like Intrada gets this released one day. A really great score by Hans!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    CALL OF DUTY - Michael Giacchino

Another one of those scores that I so often forget is by him. I grew up playing the Medal Of Honor and Call Of Duty games, so to find out the music for all of them was by a composer I admire so much now for his more recent works is still very strange.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I wonder when the tracklist for Star Trek will come. Any time now, I think..
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote

Um...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

One of my All Time Favourites™ that. It was one of the very first Horner scores I bought (perhaps the first?), and to this day I still think it's one of his best. Old tricks it may have, but in this score Horner brings them all together for an amazing experience. The action material is Grade A stuff, I really miss that type of scoring from Horner these days.

I had already been a fan of Horner's for many a year by the time this came out and the reason I love it so much is because of the big ballsy writing, and yes, I dearly miss this side of Horner.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Um...

I missed that! Thanks a lot!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Absolutely love it, great score!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    INDIANA JONES & THE TEMPLE OF DOOM - John Williams

The Scroll - To Pankot Palace is such a ominous, terrifying and beautiful piece of music. Best trek cue ever composed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The sitar in Indy And The Villagers also sends chills up my spine!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Knowing - Marco Beltrami

This has grown on me a lot. Would be terrific to have a better-produced album without some of the duller tracks, but the good bits are excellent.
  1. Music For a Darkened Theatre Volume One (Danny Elfman compilation)

A selection of well known and not so known themes and suites from his 80s period. For someone who is not into Elfman I find this quite good. Back then the man still had a knack for writing memorable music and themes that got engraved into my brain. It's not something I play often, but I can sure dig it right now...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Link (Goldsmith)

My first listen shocked

What the hell is this???? punk punk
  2. NP: The Return of the King (4 CD Edition) Howard Shore

And so we close this long weekend with music that pulverizes almost anything written during the last 5 years ago!

nuff said
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I really want to read your review for this, Thomas! smile
  3. DemonStar wrote
    I really want to read your review for this, Thomas! smile

finishing it now, will nag to Bregt to get them all uploaded wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    That's great! biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Total Recall (Goldsmith)

One of the best scores ever composeds!

Agressive, Dissonant, electronic, exiting...

"Space station" and "masacre" (very Zimmer-ish) are great additions in the Deluxe Edition.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    composeds!

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Apparently it's on its way out too.

exiting
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

"Space station" and "masacre" (very Zimmer-ish)

suicide

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. sdtom wrote
    Of course Alan will not be in my corner on this one.

I've been away for a few days and only came across this just now.

I'm not too familiar with Vic Mizzy's work - only The Night Walker (and it's excellent title theme!) - but I'd associate him with tongue-in-cheek scoring: a sort of light-heartedness...something that I don't really associate with Barry Gray's music.

Yes, Gray does have his light-hearted moments (Joe 90 springs immediately to mind) but to me he's an actioneer.

So, no Tom, I'm not in your corner with you on this. But I'd like to hear more on what you thought of Barry Gray's music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. I'm listening to some clips to some digital albums that have appeared recently. Down as being composed by Gabriel Shadid & Tobias Marberger these sound like staple (though excellent) trailer cues.

Can anyone enlighten me about these composers and whether the tracks on these albums feature heavily in trailers?

Epic Score - Epic Action & Adventure Vol. 1 - ES001
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epic-Score-Acti … p;sr=103-3

Epic Score - Epic Action & Adventure Vol. 3 - ES008
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epic-Score-Acti … p;sr=103-4

Epic Score - Distorted Vol. 1 - ES010
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epic-Score-Dist … p;sr=103-2

Epic Score - Epic Action & Adventure Vol. 4 - ES011
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epic-Score-Acti … p;sr=103-1
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

suicide

-Erik-

My sentiments exactly biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

suicide

-Erik-

My sentiments exactly biggrin

I mean, the electronic rythm is very close to Zimmer black Rain. no the themes or the composition.

Just this.

NP:Star Trek (Goldsmith)

Masterpiece!

Klingon's battle is exiting and imaginative at the same level!