• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2009
    NP: FREEDOM: Piano Stories 4 - Joe Hisaishi

Great album! I love all tracks, but Oriental Wind surpasses everything! Great melody, energetic arrangement and performance by piano and strings, beautiful "oriental" flavor, filled with "Hisaishi sound". Brilliant. punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FURY - John Williams

It don't get better cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: The Travelling Executioner (Jerry Goldsmith)

'Fields of Ambrosia' just rips your guts out. sad
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm(Expanded) - Shirley Walker

Another fantastic release from La La Land Records.
    Great to have all the music in good quality sound at last!
    Walker's music here is an extension of her wonderful work on the Animated series.
    Except this has a larger orchestra with choir.
    A very big, colorful score that packs a punch! cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    franz_conrad wrote
    I kind of prefer LAIR to both myself. wink tongue

That as weird, as soon as I read your comment Civilization Theme just started playing on iTunes. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    See? God agrees!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Saving Private Ryan - John Williams

It's been quite a while since I last played this and I'd forgotten just how good it is. Very moving stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Secret Weapons Over Normandy (Michael Giacchino)
    Just received it, so it was kinda imperative to give it a full listen. As great as always, and one of Giacchino´s best works ´til date.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Martijn wrote
    See? God agrees!

You wouldn't take iTunes shuffle to be a vindication of your belief in a more random system? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2009 edited
    LSH wrote
    NP: Saving Private Ryan - John Williams

It's been quite a while since I last played this and I'd forgotten just how good it is. Very moving stuff.

Agreed, this has grown to be a very emotional piece of work for me, when it was released I found it rather mediocre, hymn aside. That has since changed.

This one is even better.:

Schindler's List (John Williams)

Definitely one to be in the mood for. I don't play this often, mostly because I'm hardly ever in the mood for it, but does Williams the unthinkable or what? Give that horrible tragedy a sound that is so devastating and depressing, you cannot ignore its importance and brilliance. Pure class, but of a different kind than what I grew up listening to.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was playing:Masada (Goldsmith)

Catchy, but additive main theme. I love this Rozsa moments...It's the closest thing to Goldsmith scoring a Roman or Bibilical movie like Ben hur or Gladiator.

NP:Prince of Egypt (Zimmer)

I think we are all together, even Zimmer haters, that prince of Egypt is an amazing score.

Deliver Us (with obvious co composition by Zimmer) is one of the best animation songs ever composed. "chariots race cue" one of the best action cues by Zimmer. and Ofra haza vocals in the final moments of "burning bush" with the egyptian theme are stunning...
  3. Death and the Maiden (Wojciech Kilar)

Nothing to do with the holocaust but I wanted to play something else which has a similar sound, nothing uplifting (it just wouldn't be appropriate), just heavy strings and piano like Kilar can do so well in his own thematic style. Very short score but then I would gather nothing more is needed. Every theme gets a stellar treatment so I'm a happy camper.

And is that a digital watch I hear go off in the track Paulina's Revenge (around the 2:30 mark) confused
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. NP: Ravenous (Damon Albarn and Michael Nyman)

'Colquoun's Story' and 'The Cave' are chilling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    ID4 | david arnold

Aaah, this score will join in subtly and in excellently gentle way, when I take over this planet.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Martijn wrote
    See? God agrees!

You wouldn't take iTunes shuffle to be a vindication of your belief in a more random system? wink

Watch your thoughts, infidel, or you'll find yourself roasting at the stake!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Bregt wrote
    ID4 | david arnold

Aaah, this score will join in subtly and in excellently gentle way, when I take over this planet.

As far as I can tell, you will lose, just like the aliens did.

But by all means do try... there are lousier soundtracks to do it by. dizzy
  6. NP: Burn after Reading Carter Burwell

Ah, the better side of Burwell at work wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE - John Barry

Sublime theme song, brilliant score, Barry + Bond = genius! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The 'Burbs (goldsmith)

Marselus! Dammed, listen this score with an opened mind!
  7. Nautilus wrote
    NP:The 'Burbs (goldsmith)

Marselus! Dammed, listen this score with an opened mind!

open mind or not, it is one of his most brilliant scores ever written, full of wit and charm punk

NP: Duplicity James Newton Howard
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Home of Dark Butterflies - Panu Aaltio

Lovely album.
  8. Southall wrote
    The Home of Dark Butterflies - Panu Aaltio

Lovely album.

it really is, a bit repititive perhaps, but lovely all the same
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Wild - Alan Silvestri

He's never been one of my favourites, but it's nice to hear someone with his command of an orchestra. Yes, he can write the most generic stuff - yet sometimes it's just a pleasure to listen to an orchestra being put through its paces. The Williams rips are shameful, but this is very enjoyable anyway. Whatever happened to Silvestri? Just went out of fashion? I know he still does Zemeckis's absurd motion-capture films, but nobody cares about those, and otherwise he just seems to get crap comedies. He should be scoring action/adventure; he does it very well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    The Wild - Alan Silvestri

He's never been one of my favourites, but it's nice to hear someone with his command of an orchestra. Yes, he can write the most generic stuff - yet sometimes it's just a pleasure to listen to an orchestra being put through its paces. The Williams rips are shameful, but this is very enjoyable anyway. Whatever happened to Silvestri? Just went out of fashion? I know he still does Zemeckis's absurd motion-capture films, but nobody cares about those, and otherwise he just seems to get crap comedies. He should be scoring action/adventure; he does it very well.

That score is so enjoyable, from start to finish! Good thing that you reminded me of it, i hadn't listen to it in ages!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    TOMORROW NEVER DIES - David Arnold

I miss this totally over the top, loud, orchestral madness that was so prominent in the pre-2000 era. It knows it's a Bond score, and it's even going out of its way to smack you in the face to tell you it's one. I wants more. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Prince of Egypt (Zimmer)

I think we are all together, even Zimmer haters, that prince of Egypt is an amazing score.

Never really appealed to me that one.
  9. NP: The Libertine - Michael Nyman

Listening to some choice tracks at the moment: "Upon Leaving His Mistress" is a lovely cue.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. NP: Youth without Youth - Osvaldo Golijov

Why do we listen to music that makes us sad? This music nearly always brings tears to my eyes - in a way the film completely failed to. Why do I love to listen to it? The love theme is just out of this world.
  11. I've had a chance to listen to some of the cues from Golijov's The Man Who Cried and I have to say that I'm having difficulty really enjoying them. They'll definitely need re-listening to give them a proper chance.

And I have to say that, after buying Youth Without Youth (after some very positive comments from one or two 'board members), I shouldn't have been surprised. I wasn't keen on that either!

(BTW, I appreciate the chance to listen to The Man Who Cried (and additional) tracks - I was definitely curious to hear what they were like in full.)

NP: Zulu - John Barry
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote

Why do we listen to music that makes us sad?

That right there is a bloody excellent question. I suppose sad music is inherently beautiful or elegant, so I imagine that has a lot to do with it. But then that's dodging the question, because it's a tricky one to answer. Any ideas?