• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Hmm. I now realise that I may have been thinking of Patriot Games. shame That's the one with the Aliens moment in, isn't it?

I'm not sure if Patriot Games has it too, I've only got the recording sessions which I NEVER listen to. Though Clear & Present Danger definitely has the same piece he used at the start of Aliens (which was also used in 2001: A Space Odyssey). So is that Khachaturian or Strauss? I want to clear this up once and for all. dizzy

Khachaturian's Gayane's Adagio from his Gayane ballet smile .

It ALSO appears. 2001: A Space Odyssey, in the first shots of the second ship (forgot the name, alas).

In Clear and Present Danger (also in Patriot Games) this motif appears right after a direct rip (note for note, literally) from Shostakovich's Fifth Symphony (the part is called Largo, Steven, you will hear a lot of Horner in that symphony, the final part features the Achilles Theme from his score to Troy).

And the main title theme is of course Copland's Fanfare for a Common Man from his Third Symphony.

So there.

Time to get listening to that Shostakovitch set Steven cool wink

And here is Aram Khachaturian's most famous work.........

Cossack--> bhangra Ride To Dubno? bhangra <--Cossack

punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Southall wrote
    Hmm. I now realise that I may have been thinking of Patriot Games. shame That's the one with the Aliens moment in, isn't it?

Khatchaturian's in both CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER and PATRIOT GAMES, from memory.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Yes it is. And so it is. The Khachaturian is one of Horner's most-often rips. It even appears action motif in Willow, actually!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. NP: Collateral (Antonio Pinto)

I quite like this score. I wish it was a little more developed - ie. cues ran longer, explored their moods more extensively.
  4. NP: The Constant Gardener (Alberto Iglesias) (selections)

'Funeral' is so simple -those piano chords against the male choir vocalisations. But beautiful. 'Kindergarten' has that gorgeous serene cello solo. Best of all - to my ears - is 'Justin's Death', with its final musical dialogue between guitar and ronrocco. It's a beautiful choice for a haunting scene.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Collateral (Antonio Pinto)

I quite like this score. I wish it was a little more developed - ie. cues ran longer, explored their moods more extensively.

I take it you're talking about Pinto's promo score? JHN seemed to do a lot more of the melodic stuff while Pinto did a lot of the (good!) drone/ambient stuff.
  5. There's some subtle melodies in Pinto's stuff. It's his promo, yes. smile

NP: Band of Brother (Michael Kamen)

Ridiculously good. The peak of his output, for me. Imagine an alternate universe where this man was still alive and had contributed actively to the last few years of film scoring. Sigh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote

NP: Band of Brother (Michael Kamen)

Ridiculously good. The peak of his output, for me. Imagine an alternate universe where this man was still alive and had contributed actively to the last few years of film scoring. Sigh.

Quote of the day.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. NP: BSG Season 2 (Bear Mccreary)

Some great highlights on this disc. The return of the theme for the Adamas in 'Reuniting the Fleet', the remarkable setpiece 'Prelude to War' (this was written for TV?), the string quartet-led 'A Promise to Return'... some great stuff. Not as strong as the disc that followed, I feel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm looking forward to "rediscovering" the BSG music in light of all the positive comments in recent times. Sadly I seem to have lost my copy of the Season 3 score - and as far as I remember, I've never even listened to it. sad

Also looking forward to watching the rest of the show. It's not shown on a channel I can watch over here, so I was delighted to see that it will be coming to Blu-Ray in a couple of months. This is a series that I suspect I will be able to watch again and again.
  7. The third season starts and ends very strongly, although it's probably got more weak episodes than season 2. The music, on the other hand, went to the next level.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    And Season 4 has some truly shockingly powerful, jaw dropping moments!

It's been a hell of a ride!

What a show!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: BSG Season 2 (Bear Mccreary)
    ...the remarkable setpiece 'Prelude to War' (this was written for TV?),

The first thing that came to mind when I heard that piece was Anne Dudley, American History X and a basketball game.

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote
    And Season 4 has some truly shockingly powerful, jaw dropping moments!

It's been a hell of a ride!

What a show!

Any news on that cd release? Has it been announceD? any plans?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Passion Of The Christ Symphony John Debney

With music this good, I can see why a lot of people would buy the story. Still all very silly to be true, but I can certainly appreciate the emotional aspect of it all. Definitely the most powerful of Debney's works I've ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2009 edited
    WP: Night At The Museum - Alan Silvestri

It's been a while since I last spun this but I'm glad I did. This score is a boat load of fun. Nothing more, nothing less. I really like the main theme, the action music is really good in that traditional Silvestri style, the soft, tender moments are nicely done, BTW, there really isn't that much mickey mousing. I'm really looking forward to the sequel score.

NP: Clear and Present Danger - James Horner

Love the opening fanfare and theme (was Goldsmith's inspired by Horner when it came down to composing the new Universal Fanfare?) "The Ambush" takes Horner's urban Commando/48 Hours sound to a whole new level. "Deleting the Evidence" is another one of those cues where Horner takes a great scene and makes it even better. The scene is basically two guys in ajacent offices; one deleting files while the other tries to copy the files before they are deleted. Horner is brilliant when it comes to raising the tension by slowly increasing the tempo of the cue. Awesome film music!

Unfortunately, the album leaves off the fantastic final rescue action cue which is a major disappointment. I could have used less Aliens in "Looking for Clues" and more action. The album drags a bit during the latter half and that unreleased track would have been great to put between "Second Hand Copter" and "Truth Needs a Soldier/End Title."

And my God does he absolutely NAIL the end title! Brilliant variation on the main theme.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince (Video Game) - James Hannigan

Holy jumpin'! shocked First listen... but if the rest sounds anything like the opening track then I'm in for one helluva ride! Some of the best music composed these days is coming from the video game world and Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince is no different! Gorgeous, purely symphony music! Delightful! Well done Mr. Hannigan. You are now on my list of up and comers who will hopefully save us from the evil forces of bland, generic music!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

With music this good, I can see why a lot of people would buy the story. Still all very silly to be true, but I can certainly appreciate the emotional aspect of it all. Definitely the most powerful of Debney's works I've ever heard.

Mmmmm! Now there's a score I haven't re-visited for a long time.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Fool's Gold - George Fenton

GodDAMN but this is a fine score. Spellbinding theme, uplifting as anything. I'm really enjoying the fook out of this one!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

GodDAMN but this is a fine score. Spellbinding theme, uplifting as anything. I'm really enjoying the fook out of this one!

I find it lags in some moments, but very enjoyable for the most part... and my god what a theme it has! I wish the rest of the score was in the same vein as that bloody awesome theme.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince (Video Game) - James Hannigan

Holy jumpin'! shocked First listen... but if the rest sounds anything like the opening track then I'm in for one helluva ride! Some of the best music composed these days is coming from the video game world and Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince is no different! Gorgeous, purely symphony music! Delightful! Well done Mr. Hannigan. You are now on my list of up and comers who will hopefully save us from the evil forces of bland, generic music!

-Erik-

Totally agree with your comment about video game music's quality going through the roof... games nowadays use the full force of an orchestra and accomplished composers who know what they're doing. I sure would love to hear James Hannigan Harry Potter scores. To this point I haven't heard a single one. (hint hint shame ). And film-wise I gave up after Johnny departed the franchise.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

I find it lags in some moments, but very enjoyable for the most part... and my god what a theme it has! I wish the rest of the score was in the same vein as that bloody awesome theme.

Agree with you. The album does drag in places - but that main theme's a killer! Wish Fenton was employed more regularly.
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

The first thing that came to mind when I heard that piece was Anne Dudley, American History X and a basketball game.

wink

-Erik-

Really, and not Philip Glass's 1985 score MISHIMA, track 2, 'November 25, Morning'? wink
    The resemblance to the Dudley track misses me, I'm afraid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

wink

-Erik-

Really, and not Philip Glass's 1985 score MISHIMA, track 2, 'November 25, Morning'? wink
    The resemblance to the Dudley track misses me, I'm afraid.

Yes. I've always been reminded of Glass's Mishima, 'November 25, Morning' cue for this track.
    A little lifting here and there from the Bear I think!
    Still, what he's done with it is just awesome!
  10. The MISHIMA lift is pretty small, and nothing outrageous in the history of film music borrowings.

NP: '3 Way Mirror' (Me-Lee Hay)

This is a piece that a composer is developing for a short film I hope to make later this year. It's so interesting to approach the process this way, developing the story out of the music rather than tailoring the music to the images.
  11. Erik Woods wrote

NP: Clear and Present Danger - James Horner

Love the opening fanfare and theme (was Goldsmith's inspired by Horner when it came down to composing the new Universal Fanfare?) "The Ambush" takes Horner's urban Commando/48 Hours sound to a whole new level. "Deleting the Evidence" is another one of those cues where Horner takes a great scene and makes it even better. The scene is basically two guys in ajacent offices; one deleting files while the other tries to copy the files before they are deleted. Horner is brilliant when it comes to raising the tension by slowly increasing the tempo of the cue. Awesome film music!

Unfortunately, the album leaves off the fantastic final rescue action cue which is a major disappointment. I could have used less Aliens in "Looking for Clues" and more action. The album drags a bit during the latter half and that unreleased track would have been great to put between "Second Hand Copter" and "Truth Needs a Soldier/End Title."

And my God does he absolutely NAIL the end title! Brilliant variation on the main theme.

-Erik-

My first James Horner score. It will always hold a special place in my heart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

His top moment ever.
  12. NP: Atonement (Marianelli)

'With My Own Eyes' is one of the strongest-scored sequences I've seen in some time. I know people go gaga over 'Elegy for Dunkirk', but I think 'With My Own Eyes' does more of the heavy lifting in the sequence it underpins.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

His top moment ever.

Just below CutThroat! wink tongue

-Erik-
  13. I kind of prefer LAIR to both myself. wink tongue