• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2009
    Come come now, Pawel. Keep an open mind.
    On my still-to-see list feature such marvellous thought provoking and eye-catching titles as Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter and Matango, Fungus of Terror.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Hard Rain - Christopher Young

It's a gloomy, dark, cold morning here in Southern Ontario so I thought I'd throw on this appropriate score. This was my very first Young score and what an eye opener it was. After the last score track finished spinning I became an instant fan!

-Erik-

I love it, that opening theme is stunning!

Yeah, but after that I found little to remain hooked. This is one of Young's more forgettable scores for me. Every cue is either action or suspense but it's so bogstandard in its execution it does nothing to impress me.

Pffffft! It's one entertaining cue after another. BTW, the James Horner lifts are always interesting to find in a Chris Young score.

NP: The Emotion and the Strength - Maurice Jarre

I never did finish listening to this album... but today I finally got around to spinning Disc 2. I'm now listening to the brilliant live recording of Jarre's Lawrence of Arabia suite which is available on Milan's Lean by Jarre CD and DVD. Stunning music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. NP: Possibility of an Island (Mathis B Nitschke)

Very original and diverse score, but it is hard for me to get a feeling out of it, must hear this a couple of times to be sure I think
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

It's a gloomy, dark, cold morning here in Southern Ontario so I thought I'd throw on this appropriate score. This was my very first Young score and what an eye opener it was. After the last score track finished spinning I became an instant fan!

-Erik-

Yeah, but after that I found little to remain hooked. This is one of Young's more forgettable scores for me. Every cue is either action or suspense but it's so bogstandard in its execution it does nothing to impress me.

Pffffft! It's one entertaining cue after another. BTW, the James Horner lifts are always interesting to find in a Chris Young score.

-Erik-

Strange but everytime I play Hard Rain, my mind wanders off too much to the point I'm just hearing music, just nothing memorable. It's Young on autopilot. IMHO. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

Strange but everytime I play Hard Rain, my mind wanders off too much to the point I'm just hearing music, just nothing memorable. It's Young on autopilot. IMHO. wink

Which is always better than the average rest.

'Xcept for UNINVITED. Erik says wink tongue kiss
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Possibility of an Island (Mathis B Nitschke)

Very original and diverse score, but it is hard for me to get a feeling out of it, must hear this a couple of times to be sure I think

You sir are becoming the new Joep... where do you find this stuff??? shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Come come now, Pawel. Keep an open mind.
    On my still-to-see list feature such marvellous thought provoking and eye-catching titles as Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter and Matango, Fungus of Terror.

biggrin

Me too....ME TOO!!!

Have you seen Boa Versus Python, my friend says I've GOT to see it. cheesy I'd also like to see Sssssssssssssss.

Without splashing the cash it's damn hard finding the weird and bizarre films on any TV stations slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    Have you seen Boa Versus Python...

I have. shame slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Well, for one, Mikael Carlson has been promoting the score HERE!

I featured it on my Best of 2008 show HERE!

Michael (franz conrad) mentioned it HERE and HERE

Great score... check it out!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I don't find it, it finds me wink
    No seriously, that's all through Mikael's wonderful work

Heard it now for the second time, 2 amazing tracks, the rest can't fully satisfy me
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

And what seems a first version of his Black Suited Spiderman theme in "The Jet Ski Chase (Part 1)" (3:29 - 3:36).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

I have. shame slant

That good eh!? biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Clear & Present Danger James Horner

Not Horner's most original work (hmm, where have I heard that before?), but I've always enjoyed this one a lot! Great heroic and patriotic score with some blindingly good action (the best being 'The Ambush' and 'Operation Reciprocity' IMO). We get a bit of Aliens too. Sorry, I mean Strauss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

I have. shame slant

That good eh!? biggrin wink

It's good when you've had a few drinks. Or, at least, it would have been. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote

Not Horner's most original work (hmm, where have I heard that before?), but I've always enjoyed this one a lot! Great heroic and patriotic score with some blindingly good action (the best being 'The Ambush' and 'Operation Reciprocity' IMO). We get a bit of Aliens too. Sorry, I mean Strauss.

Don't you actually mean Khachaturian? The least one expects from a film score freak is the ability to accurately catalogue James Horner's plagiarism.

Still, C&PD is a seriously underestimated score. I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

Don't you actually mean Khachaturian? The least one expects from a film score freak is the ability to accurately catalogue James Horner's plagiarism.

Still, C&PD is a seriously underestimated score. I love it.

I keep thinking the one from Aliens/2001: A Space Odyssey is by Strauss... goddammit. (I'm no expert on R. Strauss or this Khachaturian fellow.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hmm. I now realise that I may have been thinking of Patriot Games. shame That's the one with the Aliens moment in, isn't it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jurassic Park - John Williams

Stunning themes, moments of "rare beauty", breathtakingly exciting, aggressive action music.

One word: magnificent.

dino
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Hmm. I now realise that I may have been thinking of Patriot Games. shame That's the one with the Aliens moment in, isn't it?

I'm not sure if Patriot Games has it too, I've only got the recording sessions which I NEVER listen to. Though Clear & Present Danger definitely has the same piece he used at the start of Aliens (which was also used in 2001: A Space Odyssey). So is that Khachaturian or Strauss? I want to clear this up once and for all. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Why oh why do people get these ridiculous "recording sessions" things? They're ALL crap.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Not if you edit out the re-takes, source music and crappy recordings. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah well I was young, full of dreams and ever so naive when I downloaded... *ahem*... legally bought it. I like to think I've matured and acquired more experience in the last three months since.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Not if you edit out the re-takes, source music and crappy recordings. wink

Alternatively known as "buying the proper CD" you mean?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Tai-Pan - Maurice Jarre

Clearly my favorite Jarre. Film music just the way I like it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

You're lucky to have a copy! Very rare indeed. I hope VS re-release it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

You're lucky to have a copy! Very rare indeed. I hope VS re-release it.

I do too... and not just a straight re-issue of the two massive 18 minute plus suites. And if it is a straight re-issue at least separate the cues.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I also don't have Enemy Mine or The Professionals. What kind of Jarre fan am I?
  5. Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

I'm not sure if Patriot Games has it too, I've only got the recording sessions which I NEVER listen to. Though Clear & Present Danger definitely has the same piece he used at the start of Aliens (which was also used in 2001: A Space Odyssey). So is that Khachaturian or Strauss? I want to clear this up once and for all. dizzy

Khachaturian's Gayane's Adagio from his Gayane ballet smile .

It ALSO appears. 2001: A Space Odyssey, in the first shots of the second ship (forgot the name, alas).

In Clear and Present Danger (also in Patriot Games) this motif appears right after a direct rip (note for note, literally) from Shostakovich's Fifth Symphony (the part is called Largo, Steven, you will hear a lot of Horner in that symphony, the final part features the Achilles Theme from his score to Troy).

And the main title theme is of course Copland's Fanfare for a Common Man from his Third Symphony.

So there.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Khachaturian's Gayane's Adagio from his Gayane ballet smile .

It ALSO appears. 2001: A Space Odyssey, in the first shots of the second ship (forgot the name, alas).

In Clear and Present Danger (also in Patriot Games) this motif appears right after a direct rip (note for note, literally) from Shostakovich's Fifth Symphony (the part is called Largo, Steven, you will hear a lot of Horner in that symphony, the final part features the Achilles Theme from his score to Troy).

And the main title theme is of course Copland's Fanfare for a Common Man from his Third Symphony.

So there.

Time to get listening to that Shostakovitch set Steven cool wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BREAKHEART PASS - Jerry Goldsmith

Not bad, not bad at all.....and a corking main theme cool