• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2009
    NP : THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross

It don't get much better cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    ^ Spot on. Time for a change. Big Change. If he continues doing the same stuff in 2010 as well, as in more variations on the same material and techniques, i think he's going to loose the game big time.

lol

When I was stating exactly that two years ago you defended Tyler.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2009 edited
    The Fly II (Christopher Young)

I said I would give it a spin, so I am smile

Deliciously atmospheric, great main theme, eerie Hellraiser strings, one hell of a creepy listen, it's no Poltergeist, but it's a million miles away from [insert your typically generic and boring horror crap here].
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Point of No return (Zimmer)

I love the first track "Hate". It's so wild and exiting!

But I also love how Zimmer makes the vocals of "hells Kitchen" longer with the synthetiser.

When I listen scores like POint of No return, Drop Zone or Broken arrow i have the same feeling when I listen Goldsmith scoring things like U.S Marshall: how many talent wasted in so terrible minor action movies.

Luckly, Zimmer could escape from these kind of films.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SHELTERING SKY - Ryuichi Sakamoto

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    BRIAN TYLER - Bangkok Dangerous

Listening to the subtlety and melody of this score and with repeated listens over time, i am more convinced that this is the worthiest effort by Tyler this year.

Totally agree. And totally unexpected to me, as I expected another action score and this is quite the opposite. Great move.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Listening to the subtlety and melody of this score and with repeated listens over time, i am more convinced that this is the worthiest effort by Tyler this year.

You mean LAST year!

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    ç
    Ouch, one of these early Zimmer works that are totally dated nowadays.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    ç

Yeah, headaches.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You mean LAST year!

wink

-Erik-

I didn't want to say anything, but yeah...
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    ç

Yeah, headaches.

Guys, but it has melody.

You know melody, scores used to be full of 'em.

I like those simple early Zimmers. They give me no headaches whatsoever.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Burds (Goldsmith)

You can enjoy more or less this score, but you can't denny how imaginative, inventive and original this score is!

punk punk punk

I find "devil worship" terribly contemporany music , i don't know why.

Edited

The first 10 seconds of "the wig" sounds like......Can you recognize it? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2009
    Nautilus wrote

FAIL.

The 'burbs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

FAIL.

The 'burbs.

Nah Steven. I think he means Goldsmith's rejected score to the classic Hitchcock film!

As Timmer would say, "I'll get my coat".
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2009 edited
    NP:Innerspace (Goldsmith)

The first time I heard this score, I thought it was very weak.

Now, I really like what I hear. How I said some hours ago about Leviathan, Innerspace it's in the middle of the Goldmsith of the 80's and the Goldsmith of the 90's.

The synthetiser is less dated, creating a futuristic sound. The action music is complex, descriptive but without losing more contemporany rythms.

I like it, even if it doesn't have a recognazible theme (except in Let's get small)

And you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Innerspace (Goldsmith)

The first time I heard this score, I thought it was very weak.

Now, I really like what I hear. How I said some hours ago about Leviathan, Innerspace it's in the middle of the Goldmsith of the 80's and the Goldsmith of the 90's.

The synthetiser is less dated, creating a futuristic sound. The action music is complex, descriptive but without losing more contemporany rythms.

I like it, even if it doesn't have a recognazible theme (except in Let's get small)

And you?

Innerspace needs a complete score release.
    Many good tracks missing from the album version.
    And the bootleg kinda sucks!
  3. Atham wrote

I see this happen in the not too distant future. I would get it no matter what, it's another Dante - Goldsmith collaboration so fun's guaranteed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DreamTheater wrote
    Atham wrote

I see this happen in the not too distant future. I would get it no matter what, it's another Dante - Goldsmith collaboration so fun's guaranteed.

Yeap... I can see Varese or Intrada realasing this one soon. I guess if they didn't already done it's because some rights or recording problems.

NP:The 'Burbs (Goldsmith)

I never have heard this score very much, but dammed! it's an incredibly imaginative score!!!

I can see powell listening The 'burbs or Gremlins very much after starting to compose Antz... punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MARCO BELTRAMI - the knowing

Good and very enjoyable esp. towards the "apocalyptic" ending. Middle drags largely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Hard Rain - Christopher Young

It's a gloomy, dark, cold morning here in Southern Ontario so I thought I'd throw on this appropriate score. This was my very first Young score and what an eye opener it was. After the last score track finished spinning I became an instant fan!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

It's a gloomy, dark, cold morning here in Southern Ontario so I thought I'd throw on this appropriate score. This was my very first Young score and what an eye opener it was. After the last score track finished spinning I became an instant fan!

-Erik-

I love it, that opening theme is stunning!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HANS ZIMMER - Da Vinci Code

Warming up.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    HANS ZIMMER - Da Vinci Code

Warming up.

Hot now? wink

NP : CAPTAIN KRONOS VAMPIRE HUNTER - Laurie Johnson

Great score and man WHAT A THEME!!!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I love it, that opening theme is stunning!

Yeah, but after that I found little to remain hooked. This is one of Young's more forgettable scores for me. Every cue is either action or suspense but it's so bogstandard in its execution it does nothing to impress me.

El Cid (Miklos Rosza)

Just started playing this very nice Prague Philharmonic recording again, in my car no less so I'll put it on in episodes. But this truly is legendary. It's film music in every sense of the word: big & bold and themes up the wazoo. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    JP: The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension - Michael Boddicker

shocked
    Jesus.

vomit
    Eighties synth hell.

NP: The Enforcer - Lalo Schifrin

Proper funk-jazz by one of the coolest composers out there...but the "modern touches" (scratching, sampling) sound forced, and some jarring transitions show that the editing of the racks could certainly be better.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    JP: The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension - Michael Boddicker

shocked
    Jesus.

vomit
    Eighties synth hell.

NP: The Enforcer - Lalo Schifrin

Proper funk-jazz by one of the coolest composers out there...but the "modern touches" (scratching, sampling) sound forced, and some jarring transitions show that the editing of the racks could certainly be better.

I saw "Buckaroo Banzai" once, my only memories of it are that it was boring and the score was crap! Didn't it become something of a cult film?

As for Schifrin I always felt, with the exception of Michel Legrand, that he was the most natural jazz composer working in film music despite brilliant efforts by the likes of Barry, Mancini, Bernstein etc.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    ç

Yeah, headaches.

Guys, but it has melody.

You know melody, scores used to be full of 'em.

ooohhhh, touché wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I saw "Buckaroo Banzai" once, my only memories of it are that it was boring and the score was crap! Didn't it become something of a cult film?

It certainly did!
    It's my favourite "movie to give to people I don't know what to buy for" gift. biggrin

I did enjoy the film. I'm pretty sure I saw it on BBC's cult film program Moviedrome (presented by Alex Cox) back in theday. But the score is indeed..well...execreable.

As for Schifrin I always felt, with the exception of Michel Legrand, that he was the most natural jazz composer working in film music despite brilliant efforts by the likes of Barry, Mancini, Bernstein etc.

Very, very, very, very, very well put! punk beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. The title of the Boddicker-scored movie would make me not try to hear its score lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website