• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: The Home of Dark Butterflies Panu Aaltio

Absolutely gorgeous!!!
    minimalism at its finest

That score's about as minimalist as Debussy, I'm afraid.

Minimalism or naturalism... you guys are REALLY succeeding in setting me AGAINST this score. dizzy

It's called a pincer movement. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: 'Prelude to War' from Battlestar Galactica 2 (McCreary)

If you've seen the episodes this piece is assembled from, you know how strong it is as accompaniment. The use 0:56-3:10 for Cain and Adama's CRIMSON TIDE like verbal standoff makes for one hell of a cliffhanger.

Oh yes. That was such an exciting and thrilling moment in the show. The buildup of the first part of Season 2 was beyond awesomeness.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I haven't listened to much filmmusic lately... I was busy and sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a while. Also, I think I haven't bought any new scores in a year!

But this week it was time for some old time favourites such as

L'Odyssee de l'espece - Yvan Cassar lick
    I've had Le Passeur on repeat for a million times and some other tracks.

Also yesterday I found Pan Tadeusz and I forgot how good it was! Hadn't heard that one in years...
    wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Eragon - Patrick Doyle

Had it not been for Doyle's annoying habit of over-repetition of themes, this would've been an excellent score. I still give it 4½ out of 5. Saphira's theme is lovely, Durza's theme is chilling and Battle Of Varden is a spectacular action track! I hope Doyle composes like this more in the future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2009 edited
    NP: "Shopaholic Suite" from Confessions Of A Shopaholic - James Newton Howard

We film score fans have to put up with "better than nothing" quite a lot... sad cry

Pity, because the guitar picking sounds very good in this one, and the second half has some nice action-oriented music which reminds me a bit of Signs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Played:

To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday - James Horner

Since I'm turning 37 in a couple of days I felt like listening to this quiet, relaxing music. This is one of those very rare Horner albums where you get only 36-37 minutes of music. And good as it is, but I think it's just enough: you get all the important thematic material and some subdued piano music.

The Devil's Own - James Horner

A Horner score that hardly anyone ever mentions and I don't understand why. I have discovered this score just recently but I just love it. Beautiful melodies, interesting action tracks and great Celtic music too.

Bugsy - Ennio Morricone

Not my favourite Morricone album but there are some outstanding tracks on it, particularly the track called Act of Faith - it is a masterpiece with that flughorn solo and the strings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Once upon a time in West Vs Broken arrow Vs 3:10 to Yuma

dizzy dizzy dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Die Hard Michael Kamen

I think you have to be a fan of the movie to fully enjoy this one. Excellent film music! So many references to other pieces of music. Never have sleigh bells sounded so sinister.

Yup... when Kamen first used them in Lethal Weapon. wink

-Erik-

J...sh... shut up.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    I haven't listened to much filmmusic lately... I was busy and sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a while. Also, I think I haven't bought any new scores in a year!

But this week it was time for some old time favourites such as

Also yesterday I found Pan Tadeusz and I forgot how good it was! Hadn't heard that one in years...
    wave

Don't lose it again Bregje, Pan Tadeusz is a fantastic score. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:The Haunting (Goldsmith)

Highly enjoyable!

After listening Hollowman, i can see why people things Haunting is a better score.

I prefer Hollow Man
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron - Hans Zimmer

One of Zimmer's most lovely scores ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote

Absolutely agree, a totally enjoyable melodic modern score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PRINCESS MONONOKE - Joe Hisaishi

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Battlestar Galactica Huggy Bear

I haven't really given these scores much attention. Now I'm starting to wonder why....

Also, I should really start watching the show. Heard so many great things about it!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes and Yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Bregje wrote

wave

Cassarrrrrrrr and Kilarrrrrrrrr! punk
    Both those scores are awesome!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SPECIES - Christopher Young

Love this cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Love this cool

punk
  2. franz_conrad wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: The Home of Dark Butterflies Panu Aaltio

Absolutely gorgeous!!!
    minimalism at its finest

That score's about as minimalist as Debussy, I'm afraid.

from what I can tell (and I don't know much of minimalism), this is a spiced up version of minimalism, but there's enough on board to make me say it smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Love this cool

punk

I fancy more Chris Young and this one is corking too....

NP : THE FLY II - Christopher Young

cool
  3. I'm hunting down some theme tunes being played by unusual/different ensembles:

NP: Streets of San Francisco Theme - New Cool Collective
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 … p;sr=102-3

PP: The Persuaders Theme - Jesper Lundgaard Trio
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Persuaders/ … p;sr=102-1

Both great listens! punk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Love this cool

punk

cool

Yes, I was happily surprised when I bought The Fly / The Fly II CD-set. It's actually a very atmospheric and chilling score. I only bought it for the first film, which shows Shore's darker melodic side, but The Fly II is equally decent. It's a grower, and it again shows why Young does this style better than most people.

You reminded to give this another listen. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Absolutely agree, a totally enjoyable melodic modern score.

Leaving aside how "metallic" and simplistic the orchestrations are? leaving aside all the zimmer's cliches?

While I enjoy the themes (highly addictive "homeland", "here i am" and "rain") i find very sad all the orchestrations are not like in the track "run free" and like the acustic guitar and strings from "long road back".

NP:deep Rising (Goldsmith)

It was very long time ago, since i was addicted so much to some score.

In my opinion is a more satisfactory version of leviathan.

A catchy theme, a 4 notes motif for the tentacle, and agressive action stuff mixed with frenetic tribal and electronic percusion.

I love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2009
    Nautilus wrote
    Leaving aside how "metallic" and simplistic the orchestrations are? leaving aside all the zimmer's cliches?

Part of why the score is great. Not every score needs to be lush and complex to be enjoyable tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Love this cool

punk

cool

Yes, I was happily surprised when I bought The Fly / The Fly II CD-set. It's actually a very atmospheric and chilling score. I only bought it for the first film, which shows Shore's darker melodic side, but The Fly II is equally decent. It's a grower, and it again shows why Young does this style better than most people.

You reminded to give this another listen. smile

Glad to be of service beer

Both are good, meaty horror/sci-fi scores, Shore's with a nice nod to the 50's and Youg's being a choirless Hellraiser II, I enjoyed both of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Part of why the score is great. Not every score needs to be lush and complex to be enjoyable tongue

Love it; plain, simple and heartfelt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Love it; plain, simple and heartfelt.

Yup! beer
  4. Final Fantasy VIII: Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec (Nobuo Uematsu)

If you want to check out one Final Fantasy videogame album, this is the one to go for, fully orchestral, with impressive choir in some of the tracks. It features all the major themes in concert arrangements, which are splendid by the way in their synthesized in-game form, but fantastic when performed by a major orchestra. It's all very melodic, beautiful and accessible, even if you haven't played the game.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I've been in a transcendent mood so I played

Fratello Sole Sorella Luna - Riz Ortolani

I'm not familiar with Ortolani's other works but listening to this one now I know where Marco Frisina has come from. Great, touching music.

The Fountain - Clint Mansell

Some beautiful tracks and some not-so-beautiful ones smile The piano solo in the last track is wonderful!