• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2009
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Dragonball: Evolution - Brian Tyler

The more I listen to this, the more I like it. Didn't expect that. You need to play it LOUD! Tyler's best score since Timeline? Yes, I think it is!

vomit

-Erik-

I agreed with you about the whole Batman thing, but I must admit, the more I've listened to it, the less I've noticed that. Unlike Martijn, I am resolutely NOT a Tyler apologist, so I'm very surprised by how much I enjoy it. But I do. This is the Tyler I was hoping for after Darkness Falls, The Hunted and Timeline; and now I hope it's the one who's here to stay.

I have to admit I found this score quite refreshing and fun on the most part.
    This had a hook that made me return to it.
    It's been a while since a Tyler score has been able to do that!
    But yeah, the electronica cues suck!
  1. Timmer wrote
    ...I've never been a big fan of Jarre...

Me neither. I'd say that Crossed Swords is the title I mostly listen to of his.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ...I've never been a big fan of Jarre...

Me neither. I'd say that Crossed Swords is the title I mostly listen to of his.

Crossed Swords is a fabulous score, superb!

I also love ALL the scores he did for David Lean. My absolute favourite score of Jarre's is Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. I also enjoy Is Paris Burning, The Man Who Would Be King, Jesus of Nazareth.........

Actually, maybe I'm more of a fan of Jarre than I thought!?? dizzy smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I'm listening through some clips from some of the Jarre compilation sets around and his style of music doesn't really grab me much. What does catch my attention though is the orchestral version (rather than the original version) of "Building The Barn" from Witness and that seems to be the main theme from Jacob's Ladder.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Atham wrote

Don't they just... vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall, I'd love to knwo a little more about "Sunshine".

It's magnificent! I'll be writing a full review for my website soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    SHADOW OF THE WOLF also goes by the name AGAGUK, correct? If so, I'll have to get that one out and listen to it again.

One of my own Jarre favourites, available only as a suite on a Silva compilation, is THE FIXER.

Yes, Shadow of the Wolf = Agaguk.

I love that Silva piece from The Fixer too. Would like to hear more from it.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm listening through some clips from some of the Jarre compilation sets around and his style of music doesn't really grab me much. What does catch my attention though is the orchestral version (rather than the original version) of "Building The Barn" from Witness and that seems to be the main theme from Jacob's Ladder.

There's something special about that JACOB'S LADDER theme. It stands out for me among his work too as a case where his music was close to the dark, romantic melancholy of Bernard Herrmann or Elliot Goldenthal's solo piano writing.

NP: Firewall (Desplat)

Top stuff. I'd like to hear another efficient thriller score from Desplat.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

The more I listen to this, the more I like it. Didn't expect that. You need to play it LOUD! Tyler's best score since Timeline? Yes, I think it is!

You need to play loud EVERY tyler score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

vomit

-Erik-

I agreed with you about the whole Batman thing, but I must admit, the more I've listened to it, the less I've noticed that. Unlike Martijn, I am resolutely NOT a Tyler apologist, so I'm very surprised by how much I enjoy it. But I do. This is the Tyler I was hoping for after Darkness Falls, The Hunted and Timeline; and now I hope it's the one who's here to stay.

It's quite enjoyable to see open-minded and open-eared ( wink ) people who are willing to do the right thing, i.e. listen, listen good and give a chance before you rush to judge.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Atham wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

vomit

-Erik-

It's quite enjoyable to see open-minded and open-eared ( wink ) people who are willing to do the right thing, i.e. listen, listen good and give a chance before you rush to judge.

Indeed! Now go give BRAINSTORM another listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lawrence of Arabia

Best. Score. Ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Atham wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

vomit

-Erik-

I tried numerous times. It always ends with a vomit
  5. NP: A Battle of Wits - Kenji Kawai

A quintessential Kawai orchestral score (as opposed to his soundscape scores ala Ringu). I particularly love the vocals - sounds more like North American Indian chanting rather than Oriental.

I can never be sure whether or not these orchestral-sounding scores from the likes of Kawai are actually live players or samples. Can anyone help?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Brainstorm? Nah man, that's an awesome score!! punk
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Atham wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

vomit

-Erik-

shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You know, the amount of times I post something a few seconds too early. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Which blows my mind because of your preference in film scores. dizzy I would have bet the farm that Brainstorm would have been a knock out for you!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2009 edited
    Steven wrote

FACT!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Which blows my mind because of your preference in film scores. dizzy I would have bet the farm that Brainstorm would have been a knock out for you!

-Erik-

Me too! Lucky you and I don't have farms to bet with!? ( at least, I don't have a farm wink )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

FACT!

In fact D I think you should pull it out and PLAY IT FRIGGING LOUD AS FOOK!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bicentennial Man James Horner

Not original, but who cares when it's this bloody marvelous. Horner lays on the sentimental schmaltz by the bucket load... and I love it.

The song should be illegal though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Bicentennial Man James Horner

Not original, but who cares when it's this bloody marvelous. Horner lays on the sentimental schmaltz by the bucket load... and I love it.

The song should be illegal though.

So should the FILM!

vomit

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. I like the opening track of BICENTENNIAL MAN, but as I've been boxing up old scores I never listen to, it was a score where I seriously questioned whether I wanted to digitise the CD. It has its moments.

And the song, which ONCE AGAIN refers to 'seasons keep changing' (a recurring lyric in Horner songs!)...

Agree with Erik. The film is a travesty. Asimov's robot world has still to be transferred to film in an effective way.

NP: 'Storming New Caprica' from BATTLESTAR GALACTICA SEASON 3 (Bear McCreary)

Frankly, this is one of the best pieces of action music in the last few years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote

Intriguing! I haven't listened to the album yet... not a huge fan of the music from the series... but I'm going to digitize this album now and listen to that track!

-Erik-
  8. On the same album, it's worth listening to 'Wayward Soldier' and 'Mandala in the Clouds' among the action tracks. (Though I'd take a listen to 'Violence and Variations' too, it's a great cue.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote

franz_conrad wrote
    On the same album, it's worth listening to 'Wayward Soldier' and 'Mandala in the Clouds' among the action tracks. (Though I'd take a listen to 'Violence and Variations' too, it's a great cue.)

punk

HOLY FUH-ZUCK!!!

Michael - Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you very much for this recommendation! "Storming New Caprica" is easily one of the greatest action cues I've EVER heard! Thunderous and spine tingling! I thought I heard it all when it came down to Taiko drums in film music. "Storming New Caprica" raises the bar! I really have to give these scores another chance! I'm ashamed for letting this gem gather dust. shame

-Erik-
  9. Glad to be of service! cheesy
    My impression on hearing Season 3's album (on an internet radio station - Streaming Soundtracks, I think) was that the music budget had clearly gone up. It's the best of the 3 albums. (Although, as you probably know from the Season 2 album, 'Prelude to War' and 'Worthy of Survival' are pretty impressive pieces as well. wink EDIT - I think I first heard them on your show.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Glad to be of service! cheesy
    My impression on hearing Season 3's album (on an internet radio station - Streaming Soundtracks, I think) was that the music budget had clearly gone up. It's the best of the 3 albums. (Although, as you probably know from the Season 2 album, 'Prelude to War' and 'Worthy of Survival' are pretty impressive pieces as well. wink EDIT - I think I first heard them on your show.)

Indeed! I do remember those pieces being very good but NOTHING like what I've heard in season 3. Wow! Just wow!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Southall wrote

The main theme is super addictive! punk