• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. biggrin You said sink biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2009
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Titanic - James Horner

I hope they release a proper complete of this someday. The volume of the Back To Titanic CD is much too low and that of the regular OST CD is higher so combining them the result sounds quite erratic!

Well, they are two different recordings by two totally different sound engineers. The original soundtrack recording was done by Shawn Murphy... his last for Horner. The Back To Titanic album was recorded by Simon Rhodes... including the massive suite and all underscore cues heard on that album. None of the cues on the Back To Titanic album are the original soundtrack recording.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I hope they release a proper complete of this someday. The volume of the Back To Titanic CD is much too low and that of the regular OST CD is higher so combining them the result sounds quite erratic!

Well, they are two different recordings by two totally different sound engineers. The original soundtrack recording was done by Shawn Murphy... his last for Horner. The Back To Titanic album was recorded by Simon Rhodes... including the massive suite and all underscore cues heard on that album. None of the cues on the Back To Titanic album are the original soundtrack recording.

-Erik-

I thought 'Building Panic' was an original track?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

-Erik-

I thought 'Building Panic' was an original track?

You might be right about that one. I just checked the liner notes and didn't see a * beside that track. I stand corrected.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A fucking awesome track that one! And look at that, I'm watching a Titanic documentary on More4... what is it about the Titanic today!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    A fucking awesome track that one! And look at that, I'm watching a Titanic documentary on More4... what is it about the Titanic today!?

I've got the urge to play Battleship!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But that has nothing to do with-- oh. Oh good lord.

G7 by the way. Your move.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2009
    NP: Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (Silvestri)

Not as good as Mummy Returns, but the final cues "Pandora's Box" and "The Cradle of Life" are simply fantastic.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Matt C wrote
    NP: Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (Silvestri)

Not as good as Mummy Returns, but the final cues "Pandora's Box" and "The Cradle of Life" are simply fantastic.

Pandora's Box is , imho, one of the best dramatic cues from silvestri ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

-Erik-

A Building Panic and The Portrait are both from the film's actual score. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

-Erik-

A Building Panic and The Portrait are both from the film's actual score. wink

Are you sure about The Portrait? I'm pretty sure the Back To Titanic version was recorded in London and is an expanded concert suite of the original cue.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I remember it said so on the cover I think. I'll check later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    GEORGES DELERUE - agnes of God

Stunning; simply brilliant.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Moviola II - John Barry

Nowhere near as good as the first volume (which is one of the best composer-conducted compilations there is); but there are still some nice pieces. The Bond suite is taken at what might politely be called a "stately" pace, but is certainly very dramatic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2009 edited
    NP: Kikujiro - Joe Hisaishi

This has been already one of my favorites, but after watching the film it impresses me much much more! So beautiful and emotional. I will never be tired of Summer theme...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Warriors Of Earth And Heaven - A.R. Rahman

Now this is a real Rahman score! I love it! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Kiki's Delivery Service - Joe Hisaishi

LOL, I noticed I only played Hisaishi's music from morning to evening this Sunday! Let's continue my Hisaishi Day biggrin

I always love mediterranean music. I always love Hisaishi's music. So this score has a perfect combination!

Edit: This morning I also was watching the Ghibli concert DVD, and thought Kiki is not good when played by that huge orchestra. It sounds best by this smaller ensemble smile
  2. NP: Giordano Bruno Ennio Morricone

It begins so lovely, it ends so frantic with the suspension music I really don't like about him
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Terminal - John Williams

Don't you just love Viktor Navorski's theme ?
    Wonderful !

smile
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Race To Witch Mountain - Trevor Rabin

Hmm.. I must say this is not what I expected. I was expecting something along the lines of Remember The Titans, but this falls much short. It's hard to believe this was recorded by an 80+ piece orchestra because it sounds to me as though it was sampled. Parts of it sounded promising but soon are overtaken by synths and electronics and ruin the experience. I hope Trevor does better next time...
  3. Race to WHICH mountain???

Getting my coat...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Race to WHICH mountain???

Getting my coat...

LOLcat mountain biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    WP: Porco Rosso - My hero
    NP: Spirited Away - see above

I can't stop biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    GEORGES DELERUE - agnes of God

Stunning; simply brilliant.

Aw D, if EVER a score needed your immortal 'A Rare Beauty' it's this one! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban - John Williams

Definitely the best Potter score so far! I love every track on this one, from the hilarious Aunt Marge's Waltz to the jazzy Knight Bus to the lovely A Window To The Past. The Dementor music with the infernal sounding choir is absolutely fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Illusionist ~ Philip Glass
    I discovered it quite recently and it's a wonderful surprise! the main theme is etherial!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A BEAUTIFUL MIND - James Horner

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. NP:Journey to the Center of the Earth (Andrew Lockington)

Still of the beter 2 adventure scores, despite City of Ember being the better listening experience
  5. Rambo: First Blood Part II (Jerry Goldsmith)

After watching the recent Rambo movie and hearing Tyler's imitation of Goldsmith tunes, I felt the sudden urge to give this one a spin. I enjoyed it immensely. This is what heroic action scoring should be. Goldsmith was at his best (for me) during the eighties, and while I didn't always think it was superb, compared to the 'music' we get now it's a must-own for any score fanatic. But my favourite remains Rambo III, because that one is so powerfully emotional at the same time as being a good action score.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. NP: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids by James Horner

Ow Baby, Baby, where have you been all my life kiss
    His heroic action music hasn't aged at all, it sounds even better

But this has to do with the fact today's music sucks biggrin