• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. And I disagree.

We all now have the ability - through technology - to produce our own versions of these scores and, given a larger selection of cues to choose from we can all put together our own playlists based upon our own tastes. Even when selected cues are merged together to form large suites we can dissect them apart again.

Yes, a few years ago we had to rely on the album producers to do this for us - and we had to hope that what they thought was a good album selection contained our favourite cues.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    I totally agree with James. People seem to underestimate this factor, but the general "release everything regardless of quality, proper album editing, without really bothering" notion is seriously hurting the enjoyment of things.

So it isn't just me and Thor? Hallelujah!
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    And I disagree.

We all now have the ability - through technology - to produce our own versions of these scores and, given a larger selection of cues to choose from we can all put together our own playlists based upon our own tastes. Even when selected cues are merged together to form large suites we can dissect them apart again.

Yes, a few years ago we had to rely on the album producers to do this for us - and we had to hope that what they thought was a good album selection contained our favourite cues.

In hindsight, they did well under the constraints they faced. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. NP: The Age of Innocence (Bernstein)

The kind of score Bernstein was doing better than anyone else by the time the 90s rolled around. The gentle waltz of 'At the Opera' remains a personal favourite track for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2009
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I totally agree with James. People seem to underestimate this factor, but the general "release everything regardless of quality, proper album editing, without really bothering" notion is seriously hurting the enjoyment of things.

I also agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And I disagree.

THIS IS THE RIGHT OPINION! RIGHT ON, ALAN!

punk beer wink

When we leave things to album producers who attempt to do the "best possible listen" we are left with The Indy Box set! 'nuff said.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. NP: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - John Williams

Kicking off the CD with "The Lost World" is just a great way to start. You think you're going to get something familiar and "POW!"
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Hocus Pocus John Debney

A Debney comedy score that actually keeps my interest throughout. Great fun!

Totally agree. A little gem from Debney.

Nautilus wrote
    PS: I must be the only one who thinks the movie is far, far better than the Japanesse film.

Yes, you are. The american remake is a very good horror film, but it does not come close to the creepiness of the japanese original film. I´d sign right now for all the american remakes to be as good as The Ring remake was though.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2009
    Marselus wrote

Nautilus wrote
    PS: I must be the only one who thinks the movie is far, far better than the Japanesse film.

Yes, you are. The american remake is a very good horror film, but it does not come close to the creepiness of the japanese original film. I´d sign right now for all the american remakes to be as good as The Ring remake was though.

Why you are answering to an idiot Bot? rolleyes

(By the way, thanks to recomend me Forbidden Kingdon, I never will forget when Jet li urinates into Jacki Chan's face)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - John Williams

Kicking off the CD with "The Lost World" is just a great way to start. You think you're going to get something familiar and "POW!"

Back in the day, I didn't like this. Where were the JP themes I loved? Then, suddenly, I grew up. FANTASTIC score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer
    lick

I hear that Angels & Demons is a darker version of DVC. Really excited!

Where did you hear that?

A friend who has a little inside info told me wink
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I don't think it's played like a hero. I think it's a NOBLE tune played using "dark" orchestrations and textures in this track (in Accu Flashback you see this theme played more tender, when Tai Lung was still a "good"puppet ). After all, he is a character who thinks he is the "Dragon Warrior".

Noble is still the wrong tone! Lang might have had good in him in the past but now he is evil and dangerous. The musical tone doesn't work!!!

-Erik-

Well, its somewhat noble, but its also very dark and slow paced in a way that creates tension, cause we just know he's going to have some epic escape. In the prison scene I think it does a good job of capturing his restrained power. Its heard many times later after he has escaped, and its much more aggressive and faster in those moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    Hocus Pocus John Debney

A Debney comedy score that actually keeps my interest throughout. Great fun!

I LOVE the Main Titles! So evil sounding and yet they maintain the Disney-esque character. And extremely catchy!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix - Nicholas Hooper

If this had been for some TV show, I'd have given it 4 stars out of 5. But it just doesn't stand up to the other scores in this series. While some tracks like Professor Umbridge, Dumbledore's Army, Hall Of Prophecy and Flight Of The Order Of The Phoenix are certainly good, the others are quite there like fillers. I hope JW is back for the final film(s).

Agreed. I feel like the music is lacking when compared to the other music for this franchise. I really hope the rumor you mentioned earlier is true...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Panthera wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix - Nicholas Hooper

If this had been for some TV show, I'd have given it 4 stars out of 5. But it just doesn't stand up to the other scores in this series. While some tracks like Professor Umbridge, Dumbledore's Army, Hall Of Prophecy and Flight Of The Order Of The Phoenix are certainly good, the others are quite there like fillers. I hope JW is back for the final film(s).

Agreed. I feel like the music is lacking when compared to the other music for this franchise. I really hope the rumor you mentioned earlier is true...

I think the composer will be announced around the time when the sixth movie is released. The actors are already being announced..
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN DEBNEY - dreamer

That main theme is gorgeously addictive! I love this score, a frequent visitor to my playlist!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Anthony wrote
    NP: GODZILLA - David Arnold

My favourite non-Bond Arnold score. I think we can all agree the sound quality on the 2 disc edition is incredible, but stick this in a blu-ray player and holy mother of god! Drenched in orchestra! punk

I'm still listening to this - it's so damn long! I got a few tracks in yesterday morning, a couple in the evening and now it's todays hangover cure. And I'm only just nearing the end of the first disc! It's very, very good, but it's tiring. slant
  5. Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm with you James, I still believe an album can be brilliant when it is 30 minutes long, or 120, but the music must be worth it. Tyler would have been a brilliant one indeed back in the days biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. NP: The Boxer (Gavin Friday & Maurice Seezer)

This score, from a 1997 film starring Daniel Day Lewis that few remember now, is actually very good. The core melodies are simple, but strong. One of the things you discover when you go back through your collection is that a lot of good scores have been forgotten in the never-ending quest to acquire new ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Anthony wrote
    NP: GODZILLA - David Arnold

My favourite non-Bond Arnold score. I think we can all agree the sound quality on the 2 disc edition is incredible, but stick this in a blu-ray player and holy mother of god! Drenched in orchestra! punk

I'm still listening to this - it's so damn long! I got a few tracks in yesterday morning, a couple in the evening and now it's todays hangover cure. And I'm only just nearing the end of the first disc! It's very, very good, but it's tiring. slant

I listen to the whole 2 discs every time I play it. I never just listen to a few, and I've played it many a time. I suppose I'm just a better person than you...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BOURNE SUPREMACY - John Powell

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Sleeping with the enemy (GOldsmith)

One of those themes wich really touches me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Prince Of Egypt - Hans Zimmer

The Ten Commandments theme is one of the best Zimmer themes ever! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote

punk punk

I remember when the score was realeased and i dammed the people who left out the "chariot race" (and for exentension,Ten Commandaments rendition) out. It was the "beggining of the end" (I mean, the end of Jordi expecting good cd realeased and Jordi starting to search in another ways).

Ofra haza vocals are stunning.

I was playing: Great expectations (doyle)

One of my favourites from this composer.

NP:Broken arrow (Zimmer)

Wow It was so many time ago since the last time I played it...

Broken arrow The second cd I bough (Being total recall the first one).

I remember how I was playing the whole cd in reapeat.

IMHO no one has surpassed this score in his style (Even The Rock or Armaggedon). The synthetiser ( Awesome in this one), mixed with chorus makes a incredible soundscape.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

punk punk

beer

NP: Titanic - James Horner

I hope they release a proper complete of this someday. The volume of the Back To Titanic CD is much too low and that of the regular OST CD is higher so combining them the result sounds quite erratic!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

punk punk

beer

NP: Titanic - James Horner

I hope they release a proper complete of this someday. The volume of the Back To.. CD is much too low and that of the regular CD is higher so combining them the result sounds quite erratic!

SNAP!!! beer

NP : TITANIC - James Horner

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. lol

James Horner - Titanic

beer beer beer

I actually started to like it a year ago.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. DemonStar wrote

how brilliant the ending is with the song 'deliver us', it can in way compete with Zimmer's replaced score, this is Bernstein but double the seize coming down from the mountain

Absolutely brilliant punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: Music for a Darkened Theater Volumes 1 and 2 - Danny Elfman

So much wonderful music! I'm very happy I found both of these in the school library.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    lol

James Horner - Titanic

beer beer beer

I actually started to like it a year ago.

WOW! 3 of us!!!? beer beer beer

An exceptionally enjoyable score IMO, I'm not kean on the Enya like bits or that ruddy song but this score has so much meat on it's bones....plenty to sink yer teeth into.

NP : MONSIGNOR - John Williams

cool