• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's one that I need to listen to a few times for it to sink in. There are several tracks that standout straight away though: "Setting The Trap", "Gunnar's Raid" and "Tell Me About Your Dragon" get the CD off to a good start.

....and the last two tracks. The rest is kinda boring IMO.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Marselus wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's one that I need to listen to a few times for it to sink in. There are several tracks that standout straight away though: "Setting The Trap", "Gunnar's Raid" and "Tell Me About Your Dragon" get the CD off to a good start.

....and the last two tracks. The rest is kinda boring IMO.

Don't think of them as "boring". Think of them more as a "challenging listen full of potential rewards with repeated listening."
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Don't think of them as "boring". Think of them more as a "challenging listen full of potential rewards with repeated listening."

Haha, nice way to express it wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: LOST SEASON 4 - Michael Giacchino

The twist is the 4 is actually a 2. shocked

Trombone bwwwwwwwwwaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

LOST
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote

This arrived today. Couldn't stand more than a few minutes of it, so will try again later. Why oh why oh why would you pay to have a real orchestra and then put it through so much processing and bury it under so many cheap synths that you may as well have just used samples in the first place? How is it even possible to make such a grand ensemble sound this small? (It's possible through an extreme lack of skill, I guess.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Outlander - Goeff Zanelli

Also, while several people have commented on this score, I have this odd suspicion that I am the only MT member that actually owns this physically on CD... cool

Don't tell anyone but I also have the CD.

You actually used legal tender for this? Damn.

Call me old fashioned but I tend to get most of my music via legal means. wink

Judge all you like, my hard drive is stoked! biggrin (I'm a student, so I'm poor anyway.)
  2. Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Outlander - Goeff Zanelli

Also, while several people have commented on this score, I have this odd suspicion that I am the only MT member that actually owns this physically on CD... cool

Don't tell anyone but I also have the CD.

You actually used legal tender for this? Damn.

Call me old fashioned but I tend to get most of my music via legal means. wink

Judge all you like, my hard drive is stoked! biggrin (I'm a student, so I'm poor anyway.)

I'm trying not to be too judgmental about this - I'm sure I would have been the same if they had such things as music downloads when I was a student. Even having a computer would have been nice!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I place my enjoyment of music over the legality of obtaining it. It's as simple as that! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: A collection of various cues from many loved scores.
    Not intense, but sublte and melodical and absolutely dreamy. I feel rired tonight and I really want to relax.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote

I love those scores! Particularly the ones by James Horner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote

I love those scores! Particularly the ones by James Horner.

smile
    I have cues from Horner there too. There is also Zimmer, Morris, Williams, Shore, Rozsa, Gregson-Williams, Tyler and more.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote

I was pretty bored by it, I even liked Iron Man more tongue
    Nah, give me his Disturbia score over this anytime
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Has that Deborah Lurie lady ever produced anything remotely GOOD?

To be honest, I can't tell the difference between her score and Christopher Young's score. He was fired for political reasons from that film, not because his music was incredibly off course. But it does mean that if Young's average score is good, so is hers. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Without a Clue - Henry Mancini

What a delight!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Deep Rising (Goldsmith)

a guilty pleasure! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

To be honest, I can't tell the difference between her score and Christopher Young's score. He was fired for political reasons from that film, not because his music was incredibly off course. But it does mean that if Young's average score is good, so is hers. wink

I know, i am not a fan of that rejected score either. My mind was focused more on SPIDERMAN III when i wrote that smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

a guilty pleasure! punk

Just a pleasure for me. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

a guilty pleasure! punk

Just a pleasure for me. smile

I wish people would drop the "guilty" part....nothing to be guilty about unless you admitted to being a fan of Gary Glitter.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I know, i am not a fan of that rejected score either. My mind was focused more on SPIDERMAN III when i wrote that smile

Well, she wasn't hired to make choices on SPIDERMAN 3, to be fair. She was hired to do what Danny Elfman wouldn't do - rewrite pieces exactly from the earlier films. She probably needed the money. He definitely didn't. wink
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, she wasn't hired to make choices on SPIDERMAN 3, to be fair. She was hired to do what Danny Elfman wouldn't do - rewrite pieces exactly from the earlier films. She probably needed the money. He definitely didn't. wink

On the other hand, showing them what she can do in the re-write department and that she'll jsut bend over and take orders, puts her in a high place to score a Spider-Man film. Ditto Debney.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. NP: Laura - David Raksin

I've been listening to the "Theme and Variations" suite alongside watching the movie. I've always been interested to see how much of the actual score is contained within this suite and how the whole thing was put together.

This interest was rekindled after reading about Laura in the Mervyn Cooke book "A History of Film Music" where he mentions that it's wall-to-wall statements of Laura's theme (in many guises) until she turns up "in the flesh" (unscored). After that the theme isn't so prominent.
  8. justin boggan wrote
    On the other hand, showing them what she can do in the re-write department and that she'll jsut bend over and take orders, puts her in a high place to score a Spider-Man film. Ditto Debney.

If there had never before been artists who had ever balanced their need for food on the table with their ethics, that post would look a bit less naive. The only film composers who don't bend over and take orders are those who have safe relationships with filmmakers (williams, elfman), who are financially free from the need to do it for the money (barry, poledouris, williams and elfman again), or who have gotten cranky in their old age (barry again, herrmann).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

And we definitely didn't need what she wrote smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HANS ZIMMER - Spanglish

Very charming. The nature of the orchestrations and arrangements in this one is a very rare case of metered and organic musicianship for Zimmer.
  9. Yeah, after this score you can't say he can't orchestrate.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Project X - Horner

After enjoying Honey I shrunk The Kids so much this past week I've decide to revisit some classic Horner scores.
    Project X has all the usual whistles and bells from Mr. H's bag of tricks. Great moments for sure.
    Not the best recording though.
  10. NP: Bladerunner (Vangelis)

A wonderful score. It gets a bad rap without a good reason, I say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    HANS ZIMMER - Spanglish

Very charming. The nature of the orchestrations and arrangements in this one is a very rare case of metered and organic musicianship for Zimmer.

This score has a very special place in my heart... I don't know why exactly, but from start to finish, all of the notes and sounds touch me deeply.

WP: Hisaishi/Miyazaki concert 2008

Today I received the DVD (I asked my uncle to record it)... I don't have enough time to watch wholly, so I just watched first two part, Naucicaa Suite and Princess Mononoke Suite. Both are omg omg

It's great to see how he put his emotion into conducting and playing piano.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Bladerunner (Vangelis)

A wonderful score. It gets a bad rap without a good reason, I say.

Agree beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Dark Knight Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard

What Michael said.