• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2009 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Spirited Away

Tender, powerful, Imaginative and rich.

The oriental orchestrations for the Japanesse temple of Gods gaves color to this score.

"rotten God" with the shiihiro's theme played triumphaly is brilliant!

My favourite from this composer (being heard only a couple of them)

She is CHIHIRO wink And I don't think there is "Chihiro's Theme". Hisaishi once said that he didin't want to score films in "Hollywood/Disney way", that is, writing a theme for every character and playing it on every time the character appears on the screen. He hadn't used this method for Miyazaki films, until Ponyo On The Cliff... in that score, each characters have their own themes, and this method fit the film brilliantly, I think.

Anyway, I agree with you about the score. Rich and colourful!

NP: Spirited Away

I'm also inspired wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  1. NP: Henry May Long - Max Richter

This is such a beautiful piece of music. Composed for a small ensemble (including strings, piano and what sounds like glass harmonica), it's sad, touching but at the same time quite uplifting!

Anyone interested can find clips at Amazon, eMusic, iTunes, etc and the movie site has some extended audio clips playing over the intro page: http://www.henrymaylong.com/
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Inspired by Jordi... yeah, I know. rolleyes

NP: Spirited Away - Joe Hisaishi

I haven't played this since it first came out. Lovely, lyrical score containing patented piano music from Hisaishi. Superb stuff. I was never a fan of the films. Too wacky for my tastes. Thank God the scores are much more coherent.

-Erik-

Have you seen any pre-Mononoke Miyazaki films? Nausica Of The Valley Of Wind, Laputa: Castle In The Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service... and Porco Rosso. They're all great in terms of storytelling, but filled with imagination as well.

These days Miyazaki tends to put his huge imagination into a film randomly and make the plot unclear and too wacky... I enjoyed them, but still prefer the times when he wrote good stories.

Anyway Princess Mononoke is the best Miyazaki film ever, in my opinion. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    If you want restraint from a film score, don't watch a Brian de Palma film! wink

I don't think I was looking for restraint... I was just looking and listening for something that complimented the visuals. I had the same issue with the "Where?" track from Mission To Mars. On its own... superb... in the film... hokey!

-Erik-

I think there's something about De Palma's singular flair that means that what in many films would seem like over-done music, just seems to sit well for me. Nothing about his films is "realistic", it's cinematic exuberance at its best, right down to the music, whether it's The Untouchables or Mission to Mars, Obsession or Body Double, The Fury or Snake Eyes. I love it!

Or The Black Dahlia, one of my favourites from any film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Timmer wrote
    Miya wrote
    INP: Still playing Watership Down.

Now it's Bright Eyes movie version... beautiful arrangement and interlude. I love the song itself! Briiiiiiight Eyeeeeees bunny

Morley's score is incredible, one of the greatest abnimation scores ever IMO.

I can't say it's the best animation score (for an obvious reason bunny). But anyway it's a great score, I agree. I especially love the main theme by Williamson, but Morley's arrangement of it and her themes are also great.

I also love Kehaar's Theme! 'e plenty good fella, YAH! punk

NP: Watership Down
  2. NP: Little Buddha (Sakamoto)

Just listening to the end title suite, which really cuts to the core of me. Heavy, dramatic, powerful music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Little Buddha (Sakamoto)

Just listening to the end title suite, which really cuts to the core of me. Heavy, dramatic, powerful music.

Easily my favourite Asiatic score, just gorgeous.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : HOFFA - David Newman

This is the cheapest score I ever bought brand new ( £1 ), there was a pile of them in a cheap clearence shop

I bought it for a similar price... wonder if it was the same shop!?

It was in that store opposite House of Fraser ( though I think it was still John Lewis then ) in the centre, y'know the one? Sells lots of cheap stuff like games and books which you can buy for people you don't like!? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Indy box - John Williams

I love every moment of this set. These scores are classic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Couldn't agree more. Sakamoto hasn't given us lots of scores, comparably, but what he HAS given us is mostly notably beautiful. Little Buddha and Sheltering Sky are true gems in the category smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Couldn't agree more. Sakamoto hasn't given us lots of scores, comparably, but what he HAS given us is mostly notably beautiful. Little Buddha and Sheltering Sky are true gems in the category smile

And also The Last Emperor - one of the first scores that I had bought and still listen to it frequently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : HOFFA - David Newman

This is the cheapest score I ever bought brand new ( £1 ), there was a pile of them in a cheap clearence shop

I bought it for a similar price... wonder if it was the same shop!?

It was in that store opposite House of Fraser ( though I think it was still John Lewis then ) in the centre, y'know the one? Sells lots of cheap stuff like games and books which you can buy for people you don't like!? wink

I know where you mean. Can't quite remember where I bought it. It was in Bristol and it was cheap and it was a long time ago - can't remember precisely where.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    If you want restraint from a film score, don't watch a Brian de Palma film! wink

I don't think I was looking for restraint... I was just looking and listening for something that complimented the visuals. I had the same issue with the "Where?" track from Mission To Mars. On its own... superb... in the film... hokey!

-Erik-

I think there's something about De Palma's singular flair that means that what in many films would seem like over-done music, just seems to sit well for me. Nothing about his films is "realistic", it's cinematic exuberance at its best, right down to the music, whether it's The Untouchables or Mission to Mars, Obsession or Body Double, The Fury or Snake Eyes. I love it!

Still haven't seen that... but want to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

And also The Last Emperor - one of the first scores that I had bought and still listen to it frequently.

Indeed! beer
  3. Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (Rod Abernethy & Jason Graves)

A Media Ventures / Remote Control style videogame score with a surprising amount of themes and rhythm. This is one of the more listenable game soundtracks, sort of a cross between the tension felt in Crimson Tide and the thematic coolness of Transformers. So it's far from original but I'm not afraid to give un-originality a chance from time to time.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

Still haven't seen that... but want to.

Be interesting to hear what you think of The Black Dahlia? Personally I thought it was an incoherant mess and even worse......boring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Outlander - Goeff Zanelli

I think this score is less derivatize than Zanelli's last outing, Hitman. One of the themes is suspiciously similar to his Tia Dalma theme for Pirates (EDIT: actually I think its the Cannibal Island motif), but besides that, nothing jumps out at me as being a direct rip-off like Hitman was basically a less interesting re-arrangement of the Bourne scores.

As others have mentioned, there is a ridiculous amount of reverb mixed into this recording...a bit over the top, I think...this thing would sound a whole lot better if it was more straight orchestra.

Also, while several people have commented on this score, I have this odd suspicion that I am the only MT member that actually owns this physically on CD... cool
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    I have this odd suspicion that I am the only MT member that actually owns this physically on CD... cool

Odd that, indeed.
    Have you spoken to someone about these obviously paranoid delusions?

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Race to Witch Mountain

Not what I was expecting, this is standard Rabin and that's a dissapointment coming from a man who grew so good the last couple of years.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Space: 1999 Year Two - Derek Wadsworth (2 CDs - Fanderson release)

Derek's score is more electronically then Barry Gray's excellent work for year 1 .
    But there's much to love in Derek's score . Lots of action cues mixed with some
    very beautiful themes . Love it !
    Another composer that has been taken from us far too soon ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Listened last night-

Andrea Guerra - Un Giorno Perfetto

Score for the Ferzan Ozpetek film of 2008. Not as good as Parlami D'Amore but it has its fine moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The Ballad Of Cable Hogue - Jerry Goldsmith
    The rather insepid introductory ballad "Tomorrow Is The Song I Sing" unfortunately sets the tone for the rest of the score. I know it's an offbeat western comedy-drama (I rather liked the film!), but this score tries and push that button too hard, and ultimately is just slightly annoying.

Switching to Bandolero! - Jerry Goldsmith
    Now THIS is a western score. Great main theme. Some fantastic southern/Mexican influences in the best bernstein fashion (though still completely Goldsmith). A joy!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bandolero = cool Ballad of Cable Hogue = tongue

In other words....I agree with you.

NP : FLASH GORDON - Howard Blake

Good score, a great companion piece to the Queen soundtrack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Race to Witch Mountain

Not what I was expecting, this is standard Rabin and that's a dissapointment coming from a man who grew so good the last couple of years.

It's unbearable. If i want a new RC score, i'll take OUTLANDER loud anyday, when i'm in the mood, no matter the horrible unoriginality of the latter. At least it's very listenable!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2009
    NP: Lesbian Vampire Killers (Debbie Wiseman)

Oh yes. Wiseman has made a comeback for sure -- just as good as Arsene Lupin in my opinion. "Centuries Ago..." just grabs you and doesn't let go until that revolting song at the end. Hayley Westenra's vocals work extremely well in this score too.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Edge (Goldsmith)

dammed! Why I had to disocover Badelt's Time Machine Before this one??? NOw I only can see travels in time (Yes, for my addition to lost too).

Anyway...this is what you can a " main theme" .Pure Goldsmith magic! punk punk

The rest of the score, contains some music not heard from Goldsmith since First Blood.
  5. Saving Private Ryan (John Williams)

When I'm this down this music is like a masterpiece, enhancing my feeling of sadness through the elegant melodies and lonely trumpet solos. During the last ten years this score, in my mind, has evolved slowly from disappointing and boring to emotional and uplifting. Though I always loved the hymn (who doesn't?) and that violin motif in Revisiting Normandy, the rest didn't always appeal to me. But in my current state of mind the music just clicks. It's Williams at his most restrained, and that can be a very good thing. The brilliant movie wouldn't have worked with thunderous action music and heroic themes.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Saving Private Ryan (John Williams)

When I'm this down this music is like a masterpiece, enhancing my feeling of sadness through the elegant melodies and lonely trumpet solos. During the last ten years this score, in my mind, has evolved slowly from disappointing and boring to emotional and uplifting. Though I always loved the hymn (who doesn't?) and that violin motif in Revisiting Normandy, the rest didn't always appeal to me. But in my current state of mind the music just clicks. It's Williams at his most restrained, and that can be a very good thing. The brilliant movie wouldn't have worked with thunderous action music and heroic themes.

Great score cool

Feeling down? Hope it's nothing too serious Gilles?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2009 edited
    Thanks Timmer. cool Major problems at work... I'm just too sensitive for this harsh world... When people just want to terrorize others or myself I tend to feel extremely down, like it's my burden to bear. But there's always music to transport you in another world, so you can forget those people for a while. So right now I say thank you, Mr. Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: An Unfinished Life - Christopher Young

A beautiful little score which is miles better than Deborah Lurie's average replacement effort. A lovely soothing listen and one of Young's best in recent years.

cool