• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Poor Justin hug

You see new emots we need, Bregt? bunny
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Beyond Rangoon Hans Zimmer

Obviously it's crap and I'm immoral and going to hell for having this since it's Zimmer, but I enjoy it.

That score is beautiful!

Wow, I´ve always been surprised that almost everybody likes this one. I´ve never liked it, actually last time I tried to listen the whole cd I had to stop.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Obviously you have morals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Obviously it's crap and I'm immoral and going to hell for having this since it's Zimmer, but I enjoy it.

That score is beautiful!

Certainly is. One of Z's finest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh how the mighty have fallen... sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

That score is beautiful!

Obviously before he discovered rock-oriented riff-chords for the orchestra and terrabytes of orchestral samplers and synths. Oh and BASS; And Reverb.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote

I suspect there is some discussion in a thread somewhere which I haven't seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote

Indeed. James liking a Zimmer one? And of all of them it has to be Beyond Rangoon?! A Fallen Hero we´ve seen today...
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Zimmer on orchestra is at his best. I hope he stays that way for A&D.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I like Zimmer on keyboard too biggrin

NP: Watership Down - Angela Morley (Prologue and Main Theme by Malcolm Williamson)

First listen outside the film. I like it!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tess - Philippe Sarde

Ah; now that's a charming score!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

That score is beautiful!

Obviously before he discovered rock-oriented riff-chords for the orchestra and terrabytes of orchestral samplers and synths. Oh and BASS; And Reverb.

biggrin

I think beyong rangoon has one of the most beautiful themes from Zimmer ( Now, with few exeptions he always compose this kind of 3 notes progressions themes)

Beyong Rangoon is a mind blowing score, his vocals and his oriental percusion (real or not) makes a great oriental flavour.

Talking about this...

NP:The Last Samurai (Zimmer)

One of his most coherent and complete scores. But there are several things I really dislike: Algren's theme (tryng to be some kind of "earth" rip off), the annoying action music and the Loooooooooong notes in The thin Red Line tradition.

Take 2 examples :

-Spectres of the fog: the first half it's all what I wanted to hear. Koto and and an oriental melody. Even the dissonant percusion is cool. But the track finish with an annoying synthetic nighmare.

- A hard teacher: the first half is boring, really boring. the second half with "the red warrior" theme is really beautiful.

Anyway, " A way of life" and " to know my enemy" are some of the best cues from Zimmer ever!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I love Zimmer's "Loooooooooong notes"! Hard Teacher is one of my favorite tracks on The Last Samurai...

NP: Still playing Watership Down.

Now it's Bright Eyes movie version... beautiful arrangement and interlude. I love the song itself! Briiiiiiight Eyeeeeees bunny
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

One of his most coherent and complete scores. But there are several things I really dislike:

Classic Jordi film score review set up.

It's a great score but it sucks!

Classic! punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Classic fanboy material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

One of his most coherent and complete scores. But there are several things I really dislike:

Classic Jordi film score review set up.

It's a great score but it sucks!

Classic! punk

-Erik-

I didn't say it sucks.... dizzy

But yes, it's classic me. moon And even when Zimmer is my second favourite composer ever, I think few of his scores are "perfect".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, you didn't actually say it sucks, but you still picked it apart to an inordinately large degree for a score you supposedly like. It's very strange.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    No, you didn't actually say it sucks, but you still picked it apart to an inordinately large degree for a score you supposedly like. It's very strange.

No , it's not. You can like one score and see his weak points. Few scores are perfect. And for sure, not very much from Zimmer who really has a tendency to be more a composer of concrete tracks than overall scores. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

No , it's not. You can like one score and see his point weaks. Few scores are perfect. And for sure, not very much from Zimmer who really has a tendency to be more a composer of tracks than overall scores. dizzy

Perfection is a point of view. I have a great many "perfect" albums and scores in my collection, I just feel bad for the person who can't enjoy their music like that and has to find a negative with everything he or she listens to. You seem far too unforgiving with your criticisms of scores at times, and in all honesty it's an attitude I absolutely loathe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

No , it's not. You can like one score and see his point weaks. Few scores are perfect. And for sure, not very much from Zimmer who really has a tendency to be more a composer of tracks than overall scores. dizzy

Perfection is a point of view. I have a great many "perfect" albums and scores in my collection, I just feel bad for the person who can't enjoy their music like that and has to find a negative with everything he or she listens to. You seem far too unforgiving with your criticisms of scores at times, and in all honesty it's an attitude I absolutely loathe.

No, the only problem is because you only see when I say negative things about the scores.

Anyway, When I writte here I try to analyse every score I listen, and that's why I put the good and the bad. But it doesn't mean I'm thinking about it when i listen the score. I just ENJOY the scores. If I was thinking the bad things I never could enjoy and score! and you must be sure , I really do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

No, the only problem is because you only see when I say negative things about the scores.

Not at all, Jordi. I know you're crazy... about many scores, and you have many great things to say about them. But you still manage to say just as many negative things. And, as I said, it's an attitude that I just can't agree with. Criticizing a score is all very well, we all do it, but I think it can reach a point of hypocrisy. (Justin's constant smites against Zimmer is probably THE best example.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wall-E (Suite) Thomas Newman

Awesome film music! punk

Cheers to a certain Canadian radio show producer. beer (But I'm afraid I can't tell you who it is.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Even I like it. It's a really cool chill out listen, play it quite often.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Not at all, Jordi. I know you're crazy... about many scores, and you have many great things to say about them. But you still manage to say just as many negative things. And, as I said, it's an attitude that I just can't agree with. Criticizing a score is all very well, we all do it, but I think it can reach a point of hypocrisy. (Justin's constant smites against Zimmer is the probably THE best example.)

I don't want to thing I have a negative attitude. I really don't!

How i said I just want to be fair, and objective when I writte here. You must be sure, I can stand to say bad things. But I don't want to be a fanboy who always seems to say the best things about scores either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jordi, you are the epitome of a fanboy! Mostly because of your criticisms! Mmm, tasty irony... lick biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Even I like it. It's a really cool chill out listen, play it quite often.

I already know you're going to hell. Remember? We're meeting up by the unreachable high cupcake table!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Miya wrote
    I love Zimmer's "Loooooooooong notes"! Hard Teacher is one of my favorite tracks on The Last Samurai...

NP: Still playing Watership Down.

Now it's Bright Eyes movie version... beautiful arrangement and interlude. I love the song itself! Briiiiiiight Eyeeeeees bunny

Morley's score is incredible, one of the greatest abnimation scores ever IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Titanic - James Horner

Combined the OST and score tracks from Back To Titanic. Remains my favourite Horner score ever! The emotional, traditional and action cues are all great. And the piano-led The Portrait is lovely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Waterhorse : Legend of the Deep (james Newton Howard)

Nice, and gentle score.

I love the subtile synthetiser touches.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:The Waterhorse : Legend of the Deep (james Newton Howard)

Nice, and gentle score.

I love the subtile synthetiser touches.

but...