• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2009 edited
    Just to butt into the conversation for a bit here, I don't think Demetris is giving nearly enough credit to the fans of Fiedel's scores (or indeed anyone with strong nostalgic feelings). Even though nostalgia plays a part for many, I'm sure it's not the only reason for liking them. I'm somewhat within middle ground on Fiedel's scores yet I feel very nostalgic about the Terminator films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2009
    Steven wrote
    Just to butt into the conversation for a bit here, I don't think Demetris is giving nearly enough credit to the fans of Fiedel's scores (or indeed anyone with strong nostalgic feelings). Even though nostalgia plays a part for many, I'm sure it's not the only reason for liking them. I'm somewhat within middle ground on Fiedel's scores yet I feel very nostalgic about the Terminator films.

I'd be very glad if there was a way to conduct a small experiment which would be made up of gathering young film music fans and / or fans who didn't grow up with the films and are not familiar with them, nor their music of course; have them watch the movies and listen to the score on CD; then, gather opinions about the music of those films as a whole.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Perhaps nostalgia does play a part, but it's blindingly obvious and unequivocally apparent that there is something of worth to Fiedel's music if it has its fans.

I'm sure those very same fans could turn around and say perhaps your passionate disdain for anything with Schwarzenegger and old synths in is affecting your opinion. It's all swings and roundabouts really. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Forget about me; if there's was a way to properly do the above experiment, what do YOU think the results would be?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Back in 1991 I wasn't a full fledged film music fan. I knew what film music was but not to extent I do now. I owned zero soundtrack albums. However, I do remember when I first watched T2 how effective, haunting, thrilling and emotional Fiedel's score was. It fit the film like a glove, it fit the characters like a glove - it's a perfect example of how an effective score works to enhance the experience of the film, enhance the visuals, enhance the characters and leaves a lasting mark once you lave the theatre.

One of my favorite sequences is The Truck vs Motorcycle Chase which was perfectly scored with Fiedel's screeching electronics and percussion. It's as if it worked in cooperation with the sound effects while at the same time being musical. The escape from the hospital is also another thrilling and exciting sequence because of Fiedel's music. I also love the "Drone Motif" for the T-1000. It's an additional voice of the character. It's the voice of the machine inside.

I love the score as heard in the film. I couldn't imagine hearing anything else.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Forget about me; if there's was a way to properly do the above experiment, what do YOU think the results would be?

Not sure to be honest. I think many would feel some of it sounds outdated, for sure. But I find it hard to believe that the majority would feel completely negative towards it like you and Anthony. Those low growling and industrial sounds really are great for Terminators, thankfully something that McCreary understood. smile
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    I love the score as heard in the film. I couldn't imagine hearing anything else.

-Erik-

couldn't agree more, sometimes music and image collide so good, you don't want anything else
    and then it doesn't always click on CD, like for me T2 does
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

I'd be very glad if there was a way to conduct a small experiment which would be made up of gathering young film music fans and / or fans who didn't grow up with the films and are not familiar with them, nor their music of course; have them watch the movies and listen to the score on CD; then, gather opinions about the music of those films as a whole.

Let me be your petri dish! wink
    I first saw T2 in 1998, well after its release. I was 18 at the time, and enjoyed the film, which seemed to explain a lot of the developments in action films. The music seemed to suit the film. At no point did I consider buying the soundtrack, but that doesn't mean it wasn't getting the right reaction from me at the time.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Just saw Synecdoche, NY. It's not for everyone, but this is a film that was willing to go to some very interesting places.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2009
    Terminator Salvation
    Mindless action and no heart. I saw this in a theater with the D-Box feature and even though I was not on such a seat I could feel the vibrations and shakes during the explosions and fights. I'd have surely gotten a headache were I on a D-Box seat.
    I thought the score was like any other MV score except for the main title.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2009
    RV: Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

What I thought would be a mere rehash of the first film actually turned out to be quite an excellent sequel! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Just saw Synecdoche, NY. It's not for everyone, but this is a film that was willing to go to some very interesting places.

What's your opinion on the music? I thought it was quite special.
  4. Music is well positioned in SYNECHDOCHE. The two main songs written for the film are SUPREMELY well positioned to the action onscreen. Very carefully thought out.
  5. BhelPuri wrote
    Terminator Salvation
    Mindless action and no heart. I saw this in a theater with the D-Box feature and even though I was not on such a seat I could feel the vibrations and shakes during the explosions and fights. I'd have surely gotten a headache were I on a D-Box seat.
    I thought the score was like any other MV score except for the main title.

Bro and I just saw T3 again, and it's a very good film, just not at the same heights as 1 & 2, but at least the big badass is in it. And what you say about Salvation seems to confirm my fears that this just will leave a big stain on the franchise. I will see it at one point just to know how bad it'll turn out to be.

And that D-Box motion seat gimmickry looks totally revolutionary and film-enhancing. I'm hoping to one day be able to try it out. I only just heard about it yesterday but it's apparently around for years already... smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. William wrote
    RV: Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

What I thought would be a mere rehash of the first film actually turned out to be quite an excellent sequel! cheesy

well I was surprised to find out how much I began liking the first, perhaps it will happen again with the second
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2009
    I know it's not very popular but personally I feel the first score fit the movie very well indeed. Can't wait to watch the second one.
  7. DemonStar wrote
    I know it's not very popular but personally I feel the first score fit the movie very well indeed. Can't wait to watch the second one.

the first score fits the movie very well, and I know the second will do it equally well
    It's just they aren't the best on CD
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2009
    The Rathbone Holmes are way out of wack as far as time frame is concerned but they are still nicely done. A pretty darn good long running series of films.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    The Rathbone Holmes are way out of wack as far as time frame is concerned but they are still nicely done. A pretty darn good long running series of films.
    Thomas

Totally agree Tom, I still find them the most enjoyable of the Holmes films, I admit it's probably a nostalgia thing but what the hey. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Totally agree Tom, I still find them the most enjoyable of the Holmes films, I admit it's probably a nostalgia thing but what the hey. cool

It was what TV is like today. One of the things that I enjoyed was that some of the same actors portrayed different character roles in each film. Hilary Brooke was an example of that.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    And that D-Box motion seat gimmickry looks totally revolutionary and film-enhancing. I'm hoping to one day be able to try it out. I only just heard about it yesterday but it's apparently around for years already... smile

While it does sound cool it might enhance the experience only if you're already enjoying the film. I'd hate to be shaken up for all the action of a lousy movie.

Haven't had much time for movies in the last few days but I did catch...

Vicky Cristina Barcelona
    Just bleh! rolleyes
    Why on earth did this get hyped up so much? This is just another middling, pretentious flick about relationships. I do like a lot of the Woody Allen movies especially the older ones but this is just ordinary. Of course, any movie with Scarlett Johansson atleast provides a visual treat. It was a bit amusing to watch Woody talking though Scarlett's character in some scenes.

The Reader
    Now, this one is way better!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Reader is one I really want to see.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Reader is worth seeing. I saw the Barcelona and didn't like it either. Gran Torino is out on DVD and worth a look too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    The Reader is worth seeing. I saw the Barcelona and didn't like it either. Gran Torino is out on DVD and worth a look too.

Yeah, I want to check out Gran Torino too, I'll see if I can hire them tomorrow evening.
  8. Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote

Yeah, I want to check out Gran Torino too, I'll see if I can hire them tomorrow evening.

me too, looks like an awesome movie, will rent it on blu-ray
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Gran Torino is a fine movie that should really have got more attention! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote

Indeed. It was really surprising to me, how such a quality and mature drama went so under the radar.

As for THE READER, i have it on hold for quite a long time now; something about the female lead (not her greatest fan here), something about the seemingly "ZZZZzz" nature of the movie's character and premise...dunno exactly, but eventually i am sure the reviews it got (particularly from members of this board) will convince me to watch it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

Indeed. It was really surprising to me, how such a quality and mature drama went so under the radar.

As for THE READER, i have it on hold for quite a long time now; something about the female lead (not her greatest fan here), something about the seemingly "ZZZZzz" nature of the movie's character and premise...dunno exactly, but eventually i am sure the reviews it got (particularly from members of this board) will convince me to watch it!

Watch it ASAP D, it is not what it seems, at least it is not what I was expecting when I watched it some months ago. A nice surprise.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2009 edited
    I think Kate Winslet is beautiful cool

.....and a damn fine actress.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ditto.