• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote
    I'm about to (finally) watch T2 for the first time...see you in a couple of hours. cool

I envy you! I remember the first time I saw T2 and it knocked me on my ass!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    I'm about to (finally) watch T2 for the first time...see you in a couple of hours. cool

-Erik-

who wasn't?
    Those special effects are still mindblowing shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

who wasn't?

CGI used where it needs to be used. I'm not sure if I can think of any film that comes close to this as an action film since this was released?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

who wasn't?

CGI used where it needs to be used. I'm not sure if I can think of any film that comes close to this as an action film since this was released?

Cameron remains a master concerning effects, thank god the bridge scene in True Lies is real, and you can tell because it is frickin awesome, the same for the chase scene in T2 on bike and truck

Man, can't wait for Avatar punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    The special effects are still excellent however, what stands out for me in T2 is the craftmanship and the flow of the action scenes. The whole bike chase down those corridors (or what's it called?) is exhilarating. And once the gang invades Cyberdyne, the movie gets in high gear and it doesn't let up. It's just one wild rollercoaster ride that's executed flawlessly and should be experienced, rather than watched.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    The special effects are still excellent however, what stands out for me in T2 is the craftmanship and the flow of the action scenes. The whole bike chase down those corridors (or what's it called?) is exhilarating. And once the gang invades Cyberdyne, the movie gets in high gear and it doesn't let up. It's just one wild rollercoaster ride that's executed flawlessly and should be experienced, rather than watched.

All this T2 talk, It's firing me up and I might just have to watch this again VERY soon. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

who wasn't?

I'll bring up Jurassic Park. Still, IMHO, the best and most impressive use of CGI in film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

who wasn't?

I'll bring up Jurassic Park. Still, IMHO, the best and most impressive use of CGI in film.

-Erik-

And I definitely agree with you there Erik, the use of animatronics and CGI is brilliant and believable........and I'm getting a strong sense of deja-vu dizzy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

who wasn't?

-Erik-

And I definitely agree with you there Erik, the use of animatronics and CGI is brilliant and believable........and I'm getting a strong sense of deja-vu dizzy wink

lol

Indeed. We should create a T2/Jurassic Park CGI appreciation thread and point people to it when ever a discussion of this sorts pops up!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    smile beer
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Anthony wrote

Looking forward to your thoughts.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

Whack the volume up! punk

Schwaa? I just finished watching, but that was the most uninspired sound design and one of the worst scores I've ever heard. Apart from the frikkin-uber cool gunfire, there wasn't much in terms of sound effects. It all felt rather flat and unsatisfying. confused

But regardless of the sound, THAT'S how an action film should be made! While the effects didn't blow me away (granted, they never could considering how much we rely on CGI nowadays), I imagine at the time of release they were mind blowing.

So many frikkin' cool chase scenes, and I loved the liquid nitrogen bit at the end (even for today's standards that was brilliant CGI/modelwork/whatever it was).

I think one of the most satisfying bits of the movie was how everything you wanted to get smashed/blown up during an action sequence eventually did get destroyed. Loving the massive truck crashing down into the water ducts! punk

Erik Woods wrote

Oh yes, that scene with the T-rex first attacking the jeeps is the coolest thing ever! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2009
    Just finished up The Blue Max. It had been a while since I last saw it.
    James Mason always remains a favorite of mine.
    Yet another film with the beautiful Ursula Andress. kiss
    I don't believe I need to mention how astonishing Goldsmith's score is.

Now I'm deciding between The Desert Fox or A Bridge Too Far...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

who wasn't?

-Erik-
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

who wasn't?

-Erik-

I'll have to agree with that!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

Schwaa? I just finished watching, but that was the most uninspired sound design and one of the worst scores I've ever heard.

I think if you take out the factor "nostalgia", that's all that remains in the area of sound and score for this one smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

Schwaa? I just finished watching, but that was the most uninspired sound design and one of the worst scores I've ever heard.

I think if you take out the factor "nostalgia", that's all that remains in the area of sound and score for this one smile

What nonsense! Just admit you don't get it and move on. tongue

"nostalgia" my arse.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    Just finished up The Blue Max. It had been a while since I last saw it.
    James Mason always remains a favorite of mine.
    Yet another film with the beautiful Ursula Andress. kiss
    I don't believe I need to mention how astonishing Goldsmith's score is.

Now I'm deciding between The Desert Fox or A Bridge Too Far...

Do you have ICE COLD IN ALEX?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    No. I'm intrigued. Please, continue.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Has anyone seen Play Dirty (1968) with Michael Caine?
    I love WWII films with the North Africa campaign.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

I'm one of the few people who is 1) a big fan of the movie and 2) would welcome some more 'orchestrally-inclined' moments. Though, having said that, there are many places in which the sound design/score works absolute wonders, and I wouldn't change a thing.

The "ratat-tat-tatat"* rhythm, the low growling effects for the terminators and the industrial sounds are perfect for the Terminator world. Fact. smile (Incorporate all this into a large orchestral score, and I'd be one happy bunny.)

*credit to Martijn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    No. I'm intrigued. Please, continue.

Ice Cold In Alex, John Mills, Sylvia Sims, Anthony Quale...brilliant WWII movie set in North Africa and more character driven than action packed, it's one of my all time favourite movies. I think it might have a different American title?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I will pay a visit to Best Buy and FYE tomorrow in search of it.
    Thank you for the suggestion sir.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

"nostalgia" my arse.

Srsly mate? That score - apart its main theme which has been matched in the hearts of fans with the whole terminator thing, sucks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

"nostalgia" my arse.

Srsly mate? That score - apart its main theme which has been matched in the hearts of fans with the whole terminator thing, sucks.

No... it doesn't suck! On it's own... not a great listen. I'll give you that. But in the film it's abso-FUCKING-lutely perfect!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

"nostalgia" my arse.

No... it doesn't suck! On it's own... not a great listen. I'll give you that. But in the film it's abso-FUCKING-lutely perfect!

-Erik-

vomit

How? It's just this awful sounding drone crap. It doesn't stir the emotions or help out the scenes so they might as well have done without it. Even Media Ventures could come up with something better.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

"nostalgia" my arse.

-Erik-

beer

Allow me to spell it big Erik....

AS FILM MUSIC WRITTEN FOR THE PURPOSE OF THE FILM IT IS PERFECT..... FACT!!!!

As an album for listening pleasure? Not really!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    I will pay a visit to Best Buy and FYE tomorrow in search of it.
    Thank you for the suggestion sir.

The American title is Desert Battle!??? vomit

Anyway, the movie has one of THE great endings IMO, a classy film with a lot of heart, I think I'd honestly put it up there in my top 20 films ever.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

"nostalgia" my arse.

-Erik-

beer

Yep I agree, I find it startling that I enjoy and appreciate a score so much in the film, while having the problem to like it on CD

Anyway, T2 remains one of the best movies in its genre and one of the best ever
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

<shrug>
    At one pont in the film, I thought they might just have sacrificed plot and storyline to the world record "number of rounds of ammunition fired from as many assorted calibres as possible".

That and the awkward "comedic" touches makes it FAR from my favourite film, nor a specific stand-out in the action genre.

In its day it was groundbreaking for its use of special effects, though, and I remember well being completely agog at the liquid T-1000!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

"nostalgia" my arse.

-Erik-

beer

Yep I agree, I find it startling that I enjoy and appreciate a score so much in the film, while having the problem to like it on CD

Yay! More quoting!