• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2009
    Lust, Caution
    Espionage, loyalty, lust and love. Set in the China-Japan war of 1930s.
    This is so staggeringly good that I cannot believe it missed out during Oscar time. What were they thinking? This should have won Desplat his Oscar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2009 edited
    Star Trek

Pretty much confirms my opinion that Abrams is all pomp and no circumstance. So far, he knows how to entertain, but he doesn't really know how to involve the audience in the characters as much as I would like. I do like the pace of this film though, scenes rarely outstay their welcome.

But as a piece of popcorn entertainment, I believe this hits all the right buttons and is exactly why I like going to the cinema (I rarely go to see 'non-blockbuster' films as I'd much rather watch them at home with a glass of beer at hand, more personal if you will. Blockbusters are best seen on a big screen). It was exciting to see the Enterprise in action again, my inner Treky got goosebumps when it came out of warp drive to save the day in the final action scene... but unfortunately Giacchino's theme just didn't quite do justice to its return. The score itself was actually very good, very fitting - and in some places appropriately sc-fi'esque. But, again, it was the moments where the Enterprise began to take centre stage in the final action sequence that I felt the score failed a little. I sat there imagining Horner's music in its stead!

One of the best things about this film, for me, was Chris Pine's performance. Or at least screen 'persona'. He was funny when he needed to be funny, likable when needing to be liked and boyish when the Shatner-like swagger was required. Excellent piece of casting there. Same goes for Zachary Quinto as Spock.

I don't think it's even worth comparing this to any of the other Trek films as Abrams has completely departed from the style of any of the previous films and put his own MI3-like stamp on it. Not a bad thing, just not a great thing. But overall a very enjoyable piece of fluff to be enjoyed in the cinema.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    RV: Jurassic Park

My first time seeing this film, and it was great! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    RV: The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Another first viewing; a lot darker than its predecessor, yet still an overall good film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    RV: Star Trek

Just got back from seeing this tonight in the cinema... and wow, what an amazing film! shocked cheesy All the actors did a tremendous job, and best of all, Giacchino's score was excellent in the context of the film! Bravo!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote

Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there chief... your first time? I didn't know it was possible NOT to have seen this film?? shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Did anyone catch Bill Bailey's Remarkable Guide to the Orchestra on BBC2 tonight?

"Bill Bailey joins forces with Anne Dudley and the BBC Concert Orchestra for an evening of his music and comedy. Using both contemporary and classical references, Bill Bailey explains, in his unique and hilarious way, the nuances of how the orchestra works and the lesser-known influences of various classical composers. Also included are some of his own original works, rearranged and performed by himself and the orchestra under the guidance of musical maestro Anne Dudley."

One of the highlights was Bailey's take on the Doctor Who theme, in the style of "Belgian jazz". If you can access it on BBC iPlayer the segment is from about 40:15 onwards and can be viewed here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kj2r2

How did I miss this!? I'll be checking it out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    William wrote

Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there chief... your first time? I didn't know it was possible NOT to have seen this film?? shocked

Ditto shocked

I still think T-Rex never looked better than in this and the follow up.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote
    Lust, Caution
    This is so staggeringly good that I cannot believe it missed out during Oscar time. What were they thinking? This should have won Desplat his Oscar.

Isn't that the how to make an arty illustration of various Kama sutra positions-film? I think i've seen it biggrin wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Actually I saw Jurassic Park the last December for the first time, from start to finish (on DVD). It's been aired on TV countless times and my dad had it on VHS, but I hadn't seen all of it before.

I wasn't interested in Dinosaurs so much... but JW's brilliant score made me wanna watch the film wholly. smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  1. BhelPuri wrote
    Lust, Caution

A beautiful film. Among some film friends I used to refer to it as 'Douglas Sirk meets MUNICH'. wink
    Steven wrote
    Star Trek

Pretty much confirms my opinion that Abrams is all pomp and no circumstance. So far, he knows how to entertain, but he doesn't really know how to involve the audience in the characters as much as I would like. I do like the pace of this film though, scenes rarely outstay their welcome.

I saw it today. I think the true singularity at the heart of this film is its reliance on coincidence. When your brains scans over the film to connect all the dots, it collapses in a heap like a certain celestial object did halfway through the film.

Still, great work on the casting for the old faces, particularly the top 3. Quinto, Pine and Urban handle the transition really nicely.

It is entertaining, but they have run out of story ideas for films like this. The final action sequence was a lot closer to STAR TREK NEMESIS than I would have imagined.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Michael, what do you think of the score's function within the film?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    William wrote

Just got back from seeing this tonight in the cinema... and wow, what an amazing film! shocked cheesy All the actors did a tremendous job, and best of all, Giacchino's score was excellent in the context of the film! Bravo!

I'm with Steven - first time? shocked

I desperately want this movie on blu-ray.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    William wrote

I'm with Steven - first time? shocked

I desperately want this movie on blu-ray.

It's only been out in the cinema for four days!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    For Your Eyes Only

Wanted to buy another Bond film on Blu-Ray and picked this one since I think I've only seen it once before. After a dire pre-credits sequence (which made me wonder if I had been hasty in proclaiming Die Another Day to be easily the worst Bond film) it became somewhat enjoyable after that, but all felt a bit inconsequential. Roger Moore's heart didn't really seem to be in it. Bill Conti's music veers from the sublime to the ridiculous; the early disco stuff is horrific, but the orchestral scoring of the underwater sequences near the end is first-rate.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What's the picture/audio quality like on older blu ray releases? I have all the Bonds on DVD but don't know if it's worth spending more money for only slightly better blu rays.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    What's the picture/audio quality like on older blu ray releases? I have all the Bonds on DVD but don't know if it's worth spending more money for only slightly better blu rays.

Dr No and Thunderball are the only early ones I've got and they both look spectacular. For Your Eyes Only doesn't look nearly so good - there seems to be something about the shooting style of the early 80s that means films generally look quite dull.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Is You Only Live Twice out yet? The original movie looks like it was shot through a wine glass.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Michael, what do you think of the score's function within the film?

Pretty typical. Nothing exceptional, nothing bad either. (However if you know the main theme when you head in, you'll be pretty sick of it by the end if you're anything like me.) The scoring is allowed to dominate the sound mix at times - including one section quite early on which reminded me a lot of some of the dramatic music from LOST.

It reminds me a lot of Mi3 actually as a film altogether. Unlike that film, I found this one quite entertaining, and not irritating, but both of them leave me quite suspicious of the people who find the genius in Jabram's work.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Juno

I'm going to be brief, absolutely utterly goddamn brilliant and charming film, I realize now why Ellen Page received a nomination for this. This is brilliance but hidden undernearth layers of sentiment and laughter. It feels simply so real, no it is real!

9 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Did anyone catch Bill Bailey's Remarkable Guide to the Orchestra on BBC2 tonight?

"Bill Bailey joins forces with Anne Dudley and the BBC Concert Orchestra for an evening of his music and comedy. Using both contemporary and classical references, Bill Bailey explains, in his unique and hilarious way, the nuances of how the orchestra works and the lesser-known influences of various classical composers. Also included are some of his own original works, rearranged and performed by himself and the orchestra under the guidance of musical maestro Anne Dudley."

One of the highlights was Bailey's take on the Doctor Who theme, in the style of "Belgian jazz". If you can access it on BBC iPlayer the segment is from about 40:15 onwards and can be viewed here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kj2r2

How did I miss this!? I'll be checking it out.

Watching now...this is funny stuff. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The Cockney version of the William Tell Overture is hilarious. applause
  4. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Juno

I'm going to be brief, absolutely utterly goddamn brilliant and charming film, I realize now why Ellen Page received a nomination for this. This is brilliance but hidden undernearth layers of sentiment and laughter. It feels simply so real, no it is real!

9 out of 10

Good, I'll reserve an extra place so we can watch this together.

applause
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Juno

9 out of 10

Good, I'll reserve an extra place so we can watch this together.

applause

oh really? smile
    Never knew you even knew the movie wink
    But this is a movie for the family and by the family, so we will watch it with the family smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Juno

9 out of 10

You are going to LOVE the SEQUEL

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    William wrote

It is indeed possible. dizzy shame
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Juno

9 out of 10

You are going to LOVE the SEQUEL

-Erik-

hehe, but no, I like the first one better wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Lust, Caution

Isn't that the how to make an arty illustration of various Kama sutra positions-film? I think i've seen it biggrin wink

biggrin Boy! Those sex scenes were raw and graphic and the movie could certainly have done without them. But I guess no one's complaining!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Star Trek

- Enjoyable space action fluff
    - Forgettable villain
    - Decent pacing
    - Great FX
    - FX for FX sake
    - Superb sound design
    - Average score with some decent action cues
    - Potential for a much better sequel
    - Zoe Saldana is hot
    - Simon Pegg is Scottish
    - I'll buy it when it's released
    - 4/5
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In the grand scheme of things, I'd say 4 out of 5 is extremely generous. But I agree with the rest!