• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2009
    Bregt wrote
    But there was someone else too...

Koko?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

Koko?

I read a book once called Koko, it was by Peter Staub and was very disturbing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes.
    It was.

His best one, I think (not counting the majestic collaboration with Stephen King on The Talisman.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Yes.
    It was.

His best one, I think (not counting the majestic collaboration with Stephen King on The Talisman.

Did you read BLACK HOUSE Martijn?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    If i did it was in Dutch translation (this was back when I was very young and the library WASN'T well stocked with English literature).
    Doesn't ring a bell at all at this point.
    What's the plot line?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

Koko?

Actually, has anyone thought that this name will haunt maintitles.net.......for ever?!? freezing
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    If i did it was in Dutch translation (this was back when I was very young and the library WASN'T well stocked with English literature).
    Doesn't ring a bell at all at this point.
    What's the plot line?

BLACK HOUSE....King & Straub back together, An older Jack Sawyer, back to The Territories....a much darker creepier follow up to The Talisman and it came out earlier this decade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh REALLY? shocked
    Time to unlock the ol' Amazon account, methinks!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Oh REALLY? shocked

I thought Talisman was something special and full of characters I truly cared about, Black House doesn't reach those heights but it's still worth reading....I certainly COULD'NT put it down and I still recommend it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Cool! thanks, Timmer! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Oh REALLY? shocked

I thought Talisman was something special and full of characters I truly cared about, Black House doesn't reach those heights but it's still worth reading....I certainly COULD'NT put it down and I still recommend it.

Better than "The Dark Tower" saga? I love those books!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Oh REALLY? shocked

I can't compare Marcel as I've not read those yet? A friend will be giving me the complete set soon.....that's a LOT of reading.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Oh REALLY? shocked

I can't compare Marcel as I've not read those yet? A friend will be giving me the complete set soon.....that's a LOT of reading.

Oh you are in for a ride then. I couldn´t stop reading once I started. Actually, I still have volumes V, VI and VII to read. Great stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2009
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    Long, picturesque and nice. Too long. The score is a beauty.
  1. BhelPuri wrote

There's a bit of wasted space in that story. It could have been told better.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    franz_conrad wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

There's a bit of wasted space in that story. It could have been told better.

Sure! It would have been great at half its length.
    I didn't notice the score much during the 1st one hour. It's only after that did the score really catch me. Desplat was going for elegant and subtle. But I do wish he went all out and more noticeable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    BhelPuri wrote

For me it is one of those very rare movies that is worth a 100% rate. I absolutely loved it (and watched it more than once already)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    keky wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

For me it is one of those very rare movies that is worth a 100% rate. I absolutely loved it (and watched it more than once already)

I have no interest in seeing this picture again... the only Fincher film I never want to see again. And yes, I really, really like Alien3 and Panic Room.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Well, it seems, Erik, that our taste not only differs in Williams... wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2009
    AIR FORCE ONE

If it weren't for the ridiculous action sequences this would be a very good thriller. (Harrison Ford - The President - hanging by one hand out the back of air force one while a fueling aircraft behind him blows up is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a movie).

Goldsmith's/McNeely's score is excellent and is mixed really well on blu-ray - nice and loud!

So overall - a good thriller to start off with, but later turning into a popcorn action movie where it feels more like Indiana Jones With A Gun rather than Harrison Ford playing a president. Still, thoroughly enjoyable. 3/5
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    keky wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

I have no interest in seeing this picture again... the only Fincher film I never want to see again. And yes, I really, really like Alien3 and Panic Room.

-Erik-

Quite. Benjamin Button lacks true heart & soul, maybe I'll see it again someday but not too soon.

And I can dig Alien 3 too, very underrated film.

Anthony wrote
    AIR FORCE ONE

If it weren't for the ridiculous action sequences this would be a very good thriller. (Harrison Ford - The President - hanging by one hand out the back of air force one while a fueling aircraft behind him blows up is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a movie).

Goldsmith's/McNeely's score is excellent and is mixed really well on blu-ray - nice and loud!

So overall - a good thriller to start off with, but later turning into a popcorn action movie where it feels more like Indiana Jones With A Gun rather than Harrison Ford playing a president. Still, thoroughly enjoyable. 3/5

This should be a keeper on hi-def. Loved the film since seeing it on the big screen. Just the right amount of nailbiting suspense and non stop heroics. One of the first DVDs I ever bought (R1 release) and I still like to watch it from time to time. Gary Oldman is friggin' fantastic !!!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    The Thick Of It - Armando Iannucci

Fantastic political sitcom from the always brilliant Ianucci which satirises the inner workings of government, featuring some top-class cringe-worthy comedy and plenty of great Alan Partridge-esque moments.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    AIR FORCE ONE

Well, you have identified one ridiculous action sequence... is that the "GET. OFF. MY. PLANE!" sequence. However, I think the action sequences in this film are quite good... The Hijacking being one of the film's finest... and the MIG attack is also thrilling! It's another good old fashion action film with some quality cheeseball moments!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Star Trek (2009)

I don´t know if "bland" is an adjective one can use to describe a movie, but anyway, this is such a bland film. Good characters, good performances, some nice visuals (although the action scenes are very confusing IMO, one can´t enjoy what´s happening on screen) but it lacks something, I mean I had forgotten the film once I reached my car and left the place. And god forbids whoever decided to create that kinda Ewok character (you´ll recognise him/it once you´ve watched the movie).
    It is nothing more that an expanded episode but with a huge budget and a villain as charismatic as a brick.
    Obviously better than the last two episodes (not that it was a challenge) but I can´t understand all the impressive good reviews. I know JJ Abrams is cool now, but one should try to be as objective as possible, and Star Trek, had it been directed by anyone else, would be an average sci fi film.
    Don´t get me wrong, I LOVED what Abrams did with MI:3. That was a rough, violent, action packed and even dramatic film. Star Trek is a step backwards.

Not a fan of Giacchino´s score, but if you like the main theme, that´s what´s all about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Abrams is generally overrated by reviewers and film magazines and the like. He's just a nerd with a lot of money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Well, "Lost" is already a classic, so I wont´deny Abrams´achievements and success. But "Lost" is "Lost", and what else he does is another thing that has to be judged independently.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    My tickets are booked for 7.30pm tomorrow. Only now do I find out the film involves time travel. F*#!@# sake! shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    My tickets are booked for 7.30pm tomorrow. Only now do I find out the film involves time travel. F*#!@# sake! shame

Well, it´s not as complicated as in Lost, if that´s a relief.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    *thank you* beer
  3. Did anyone catch Bill Bailey's Remarkable Guide to the Orchestra on BBC2 tonight?

"Bill Bailey joins forces with Anne Dudley and the BBC Concert Orchestra for an evening of his music and comedy. Using both contemporary and classical references, Bill Bailey explains, in his unique and hilarious way, the nuances of how the orchestra works and the lesser-known influences of various classical composers. Also included are some of his own original works, rearranged and performed by himself and the orchestra under the guidance of musical maestro Anne Dudley."

One of the highlights was Bailey's take on the Doctor Who theme, in the style of "Belgian jazz". If you can access it on BBC iPlayer the segment is from about 40:15 onwards and can be viewed here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kj2r2
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn