• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009 edited
    Ondskan (Evil)
    Whoah! I totally loved this movie from Sweden. A violent school bully gets one last chance when he's moved to a boarding school where he tries to lay low and, for a change, not cause any trouble. But there's a more evil system out there. Lush cinematography, an intense performance by the lead star (Andreas Wilson) and a fine score by Francis Shaw are some of the plus points. I quite like the lovely oboe theme when Andreas joins his boarding school. It's very Morricone-ish. I had to google to check if a score existed and it's awesome to see that Mikael has already got it covered! Thanks Mikael! I'll be buying it soon.

If I had to nitpick then it's probably at the story where every character is delineated as good or bad except, the main character to some extent. That he's the only one to stand up to the bullying is far-fetched. Perhaps the film-makers wanted to ramp up the heroic quotient.

I'm also amused to come across a scathing review of the score & film from Film Music on the Web. Perhaps the reviewer was expecting a thought-provoking social commentary on bullying whereas this movie is just masala. Fortunately there's a favorable review from Franz that I'll side on.

Hah, I think a certain theme is Morricone-ish, while Franz thinks it's like John-Williams-Harry-Potter-ish. Are we thinking about the same thing?

Timmer wrote
    I once saw this on a cinema double bill with Monty Python's The Life of Brian....best comedy double bill EVER! biggrin punk

Now there's another movie I need to watch! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009
    Yes, the score for Evil was really good. smile

What do you mean with masala?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009
    Bregt wrote
    Yes, the score for Evil was really good. smile

What do you mean with masala?

Masala = spice
    A masala film is a commercial entertainer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009
    cheesy
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Masala... lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009 edited
    Over the weekend I FINALLY watch my very first episode of Battlestar Galactica... we started of course with the mini-series. Ok, I'm hooked... and so is my wife! For the entire three hours we couldn't not believe we were watching a TV show! The special effects were top notch even though I CAN'T STAND the snap zooms during the battle sequences! Unfortunately, Richard Gibbs score was weak but laid the ground work for what McCreary would eventually produce and improve on.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Over the weekend I FINALLY watch my very first episode of Battlestar Gallactica... we started of course with the mini-series. Ok, I'm hooked... and so is my wife! For the entire three hours we couldn't not believe we were watching a TV show! The special effects were top notch even though I CAN'T STAND the snap zooms during the battle sequences! Additionally, Richard Gibbs score was weak but laid the ground work for what McCreary would eventually produce and improve on.

-Erik-

Weird. I've just started watching it too. I'm hooked as well, I'm a quarter way through season two and only just started watching it last week. One of the best shows I've seen. (I'm also addicted to the two BSG albums I have; season 2 and 3.)

punk
  1. BhelPuri wrote
    Ondskan (Evil)
    Whoah! I totally loved this movie from Sweden. A violent school bully gets one last chance when he's moved to a boarding school where he tries to lay low and, for a change, not cause any trouble. But there's a more evil system out there. Lush cinematography, an intense performance by the lead star (Andreas Wilson) and a fine score by Francis Shaw are some of the plus points. I quite like the lovely oboe theme when Andreas joins his boarding school. It's very Morricone-ish. I had to google to check if a score existed and it's awesome to see that Mikael has already got it covered! Thanks Mikael! I'll be buying it soon.

If I had to nitpick then it's probably at the story where every character is delineated as good or bad except, the main character to some extent. That's he's the only one to stand up to the bullying is far-fetched. Perhaps the film-makers wanted to ramp up the heroic quotient.

I'm also amused to come across a scathing review of the score & film from Film Music on the Web. Perhaps the reviewer was expecting a thought-provoking social commentary on bullying whereas this movie is just masala. Fortunately there's a favorable review from Franz that I'll side on.

Hah, I think a certain theme is Morricone-ish, while Franz thinks it's like John-Williams-Harry-Potter-ish. Are we thinking about the same thing?

Probably not. wink (EDIT - Oh wait. I was talking about the melody that leads 'Journey into new school', but I can actually see how that does sound like a Morricone melody. Moreso than a Harry Potter theme! The oboe makes it sound like Morricone... the french horn and rhythm like Williams.)

I remember Tina's reviews well. Such bile poured out on films that were one thing and not another. THE CONSTANT GARDNENER film also received her wrath to such an extent that I had to write a review to defend my editorial recommendations! biggrin

I did later see EVIL, and while I understand where Tina was coming from, I think she was thinking too hard about it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Over the weekend I FINALLY watch my very first episode of Battlestar Gallactica... we started of course with the mini-series. Ok, I'm hooked... and so is my wife! For the entire three hours we couldn't not believe we were watching a TV show! The special effects were top notch even though I CAN'T STAND the snap zooms during the battle sequences! Additionally, Richard Gibbs score was weak but laid the ground work for what McCreary would eventually produce and improve on.

-Erik-

Weird. I've just started watching it too. I'm hooked as well, I'm a quarter way through season two and only just started watching it last week. One of the best shows I've seen. (I'm also addicted to the two BSG albums I have; season 2 and 3.)

punk

Good progress made on all fronts, gentlemen.
    As for the crash zooms, it sort of fits in with the style of shooting they adopted for the miniseries and the early episodes. Unfortunately, beyond a certain point, it was the only style choice they kept from the miniseries. The show does drift into a more typical shooting style for the dramatic scenes later on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    In my opinion Evil is one of the best films in recent years. I usually love Scandinavian movies but this one ranks high among my best-of list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    franz_conrad wrote
    The oboe makes it sound like Morricone... the french horn and rhythm like Williams.

I did later see EVIL, and while I understand where Tina was coming from, I think she was thinking too hard about it.

I see what you mean about the JW part.
    And yes, to some extent I can see what Tina's review is going after. But it wasn't the right movie for such an analysis.

keky wrote
    In my opinion Evil is one of the best films in recent years. I usually love Scandinavian movies but this one ranks high among my best-of list.

Bring it on! I need to check out more. What others would you recommend?
    I'm desperately waiting for Netflix to have Så som i himmelen added to their library.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    What About Bob?
    Silly comedy starring Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss. Good fun!
    But it was a bit of a disappointment since I realized that there's a Kollywood rip-off of it that I've seen a while back.
  3. BhelPuri wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    The oboe makes it sound like Morricone... the french horn and rhythm like Williams.

I see what you mean about the JW part.
    And yes, to some extent I can see what Tina's review is going after. But it wasn't the right movie for such an analysis.

It did annoy me slightly that my favourite piece of music on the album, 'Piano Consolation', wasn't actually in the film. wink
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Over the weekend I FINALLY watch my very first episode of Battlestar Galactica... we started of course with the mini-series. Ok, I'm hooked... and so is my wife! For the entire three hours we couldn't not believe we were watching a TV show! The special effects were top notch even though I CAN'T STAND the snap zooms during the battle sequences! Unfortunately, Richard Gibbs score was weak but laid the ground work for what McCreary would eventually produce and improve on.

-Erik-

33 is a classic, man. I love the series. I started to watch later than Steven and right now I am 3/4 into season two. It's really AMAZING.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Well this board sure is a gathering place for BSG converts. I think we should have a poll to see how many people actually started to watch this show because someone else said it was fraking awesome. smile I know what I'd say.

From now on maintitles.net should be labeled as bsgfansunite.com. We already have quite the fanbase here. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. I wish I could give credit to people here, but ironically it was Christopher Gordon, who isn't a huge fan of the music of the show, who got me onto watching it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    even though I CAN'T STAND the snap zooms during the battle sequences!

I'm SO with you. Unfortunately they keep that up during the whole four seasons run, and not only during battle scenes but nigh to any scene that suggests more action than just two people talking. Get ready for a world of pain. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2009 edited
    Just finished the -unfortunately merely- two seasons of Rome.

What a fine series from HBO once again. Completely engrossing, extremely well acted and continually interesting and exciting.

The series roughly covers Julius Caesar's crossing of the Rubicon to the undisputed rise of Caesar Augustus, which is covered not only by a narrative focusing on the lives of the key historical characters, but also their kin -mainly the family of Atia (Julius Caesar's niece) of the Julii and her children and, for a more "streetwise" look, through the lives of two ex-legionnaires: stoic hardboiled Lucius Vorenus and bull-like Titus Pullo who -at times more believably than others- keep on being involved in events bigger than themselves.

The reason I was turned off at first was because the very first episode I saw was SO briming with gratuitous sex and violence it was just lurid, but thanks to the comments on MainTitles (big thanks, Ralph! wave ) I was lured back, and thankfully so.
    I since found that the first episode I saw was actually a recut and heavily criticized one, where the first TWO episodes were re-edited into ONE with as much sex and violence as possible! shocked

This is one of those series, together with the unfortunately canceled Deadwood, I enjoy immensely as a fine narrative and dramatic style is combined with a clear historic affinity (though not everything is completely historically accurate, but really, only the dourest of Roman scholars would object) and a no-expense-spared historical recreation of the settings. It intrigues, it entertains, it educates and in fact invites more study and interest by simply providing such a brilliant palate that it seems a waste not to investigate it further.

But for the less academically inclined it's grand entertainment as well, though not for the very young or squeemish as regularly things get quite grim and gritty: there is no shortage of blood and other essential juices flowing about.

4.5 out of 5

Jeff Beal's theme is addictive and his score, while not grand -which is fine as most of the over the top mega mass scenes we ave come to expect from Roman epics are skipped here- is dramatically sound and very entertaining. Definitely worth a listen on its own as far as I'm concerned.

4 out of 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well this board sure is a gathering place for BSG converts. I think we should have a poll to see how many people actually started to watch this show because someone else said it was fraking awesome. smile I know what I'd say.

From now on maintitles.net should be labeled as bsgfansunite.com. We already have quite the fanbase here. biggrin

I just hope BSG fans don't go over the top like Lost fans do on this forum. I'm all for discussing a show and its merits or pitfalls, but those guys take it to the extreme.

sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep
  7. Fear not Steven, I'll keep it real from this end. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And if Franz' end is a bright centre of the universe, I'm on the planet it's farthest from.

(Well, maybe not that bad, but I seldom watched a show where characters so ultimately and definitively wore out their welcome)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Discussing a show as a piece of art is fine, but discussing it as though it's actually happening does seem very odd to me. That's what I find boring.
  8. Martijn wrote
    And if Franz' end is a bright centre of the universe, I'm on the planet it's farthest from.

(Well, maybe not that bad, but I seldom watched a show where characters so ultimately and definitively wore out their welcome)

I had quite a bit to say in the negative about where things ended up. wink (And I'd agree with you re: some of my favourite characters.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

What a fine series from HBO once again. Completely engrossing, extremely well acted and continually interesting and exciting.

The series roughly covers Julius Caesar's crossing of the Rubicon to the undisputed rise of Caesar Augustus, which is covered not only by a narrative focusing on the lives of the key historical characters, but also their kin -mainly the family of Atia (Julius Caesar's niece) of the Julii and her children and, for a more "streetwise" look, through the lives of two ex-legionnaires: stoic hardboiled Lucius Vorenus and bull-like Titus Pullo who -at times more believably than others- keep on being involved in events bigger than themselves.

The reason I was turned off at first was because the very first episode I saw was SO briming with gratuitous sex and violence it was just lurid, but thanks to the comments on MainTitles (big thanks, Ralph! wave ) I was lured back, and thankfully so.
    I since found that the first episode I saw was actually a recut and heavily criticized one, where the first TWO episodes were re-edited into ONE with as much sex and violence as possible! shocked

This is one of those series, together with the unfortunately canceled Deadwood, I enjoy immensely as a fine narrative and dramatic style is combined with a clear historic affinity (though not everything is completely historically accurate, but really, only the dourest of Roman scholars would object) and a no-expense-spared historical recreation of the settings. It intrigues, it entertains, it educates and in fact invites more study and interest by simply providing such a brilliant palate that it seems a waste not to investigate it further.

But for the less academically inclined it's grand entertainment as well, though not for the very young or squeemish as regularly things get quite grim and gritty: there is no shortage of blood and other essential juices flowing about.

4.5 out of 5

Jeff Beal's theme is addictive and his score, while not grand -which is fine as most of the over the top mega mass scenes we ave come to expect from Roman epics are skipped here- is dramatically sound and very entertaining. Definitely worth a listen on its own as far as I'm concerned.

4 out of 5

Good review Martijn, I loved this show and I hope there'll be a season 3?

You do know that the very same sets were used in an episode of Doctor Who. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Good review Martijn,

Cheers Tim. wave

I loved this show and I hope there'll be a season 3?

There won't be: the Doctor Who "Pompei" episode was filmed as they were already breaking the sets down. That aside, I'm actually perfectly content with two seasons: it was a very nice wrap-up.

If you want to know what happens next you'll just have to watch I Claudius again. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I' Claudius

How can anyone go wrong with that......one of THE greatest TV series EVER made....FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    even though I CAN'T STAND the snap zooms during the battle sequences!

I'm SO with you. Unfortunately they keep that up during the whole four seasons run, and not only during battle scenes but nigh to any scene that suggests more action than just two people talking. Get ready for a world of pain. slant

Yeah I know what you mean, when I first saw it it immediately raised my attention... but I can't say I have been irritated by it, by the end of the third season I've grown used to it. It's just a novel way of shooting things, literally and figuratively speaking.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    It's just a novel way of shooting things, literally and figuratively speaking.

:pawel:
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    franz_conrad wrote
    I wish I could give credit to people here, but ironically it was Christopher Gordon, who isn't a huge fan of the music of the show, who got me onto watching it.

Phuh. I remember I was one of the "pioneers" watching it some years ago, and hearing the music. Then Demetris followed. But there was someone else too...
    Kazoo
  10. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I must say, I was hooked very quickly as well. This is a very entertaining but above all intruiging concept and I rushed through season 1. I just started with 2 and so far it remains excellent

However, I do like those snap zooms, gives it a cool look and feel smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh