• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2009
    Bolt? [spoiler]They all live happily ever after thanks to typical story devices of characters going through change due to the problems they overcame throughout the film.[/spoiler] shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Bolt? [spoiler]They all live happily ever after thanks to typical story devices of characters going through change due to the problems they overcame throughout the film.[/spoiler] shocked

gutted
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Miya wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Some people are really touchy about spoilers and so I'm careful for not upsetting anyone! wink

I've been careful about BOLT spoilers but a horrible Japanese trailer reveals some (supposedly) important scenes slant

I'm afraid I can't say there are any twists in that film. A dog that plays a superhero on TV gets lost in real life but he still thinks he's a hero. Gradually he learns he isn't but realises you don't have to be super to be a hero.

To hell with this Disney schmaltz! moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Very similar to Toy Story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Miya wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Some people are really touchy about spoilers and so I'm careful for not upsetting anyone! wink

I've been careful about BOLT spoilers but a horrible Japanese trailer reveals some (supposedly) important scenes slant

I'm afraid I can't say there are any twists in that film. A dog that plays a superhero on TV gets lost in real life but he still thinks he's a hero. Gradually he learns he isn't but realises you don't have to be super to be a hero.

To hell with this Disney schmaltz! moon

I know what the story is about, from long time ago. I know where the story goes to, because it's predictable. But I don't want to know how the story goes. I don't want to know how they show the story... In brief, I don't want to see important and/or emotional scenes beforehand.

American trailars didn't show important scenes so much, I believe. But Japanese trailer - which is disgusting as always - shows supposedly important scenes. Though I stopped watching it, a person who already saw the movie said Japanese trailer & advertising are really misleading... or rather, they faked up the story. slant

I don't want to know any more details of BOLT ads, but Disney Japan (and many other Japanese distributors) often does this kind of faked-up advertising... For example, they changed Brother Bear as a tearjerking story of a bear cub who searches for his mother, and their trailer showed an important scene at the end of the story, in misleading way. vomit
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    THEM.An attempt at a larger scale science fiction film. It starred James Whitmore, James Arness and had a small role for Leonard Nimoy. Them=ants who grew to large proportions because of the white sands nuclear testing in the 50's. Not a bad effort.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We know what to do with oversized insectoids, don't we? Send in Clint in a jet! biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Now the score from Kaper was less than in Them. Not really impressed at all.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    We know what to do with oversized insectoids, don't we? Send in Clint in a jet! biggrin

That's oversized arachnids wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thta's why I said -OIDS! Like in insect-LIKE! tongue
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Thta's why I said -OIDS! Like in insect-LIKE! tongue

ARACHNOIDS tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn will tell you that the film for the 50's wasn't bad
  1. Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008)

Well, I didn't expect wonders of it but I enjoyed myself still a lot
    Now I'm really sad I didn't see it in 3D, it looked really cool

Still a lot of fun and the score is amazing smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008)

I am glad you think so! This is my favorite (from the perspective of entertainment, not art) film of 2008, have seen it 6 times. One of the most refreshingly unpretentious things I've ever seen. and I absolutely love the score.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I thought I was the only one who liked the score! wink biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hey Thor wave

I just watched ( sort of ) LADYHAWKE.

I must admit I didn't pay too much attention to the film but thought there was some great shots of the awesomely spectacular Italian Dolomites amongst the mystic mumbo jumbo, I did however pay attention to the score which I thought was very good on the whole ( minus the "pop" moments ), I really can't see / hear the fuss many have made in the past labelling this score as one of the "worst ever", if I see it cheap enough I'll definitely be picking it up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    DemonStar wrote
    I thought I was the only one who liked the score! wink biggrin

When it first came out last summer, I was repeatedly singing its praises around here and nobody was listening... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Perhaps I hadn't listened to it back then. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    BULLITT is a must see for anyone who has let this one slip through the cracks. And it is a score that one can really enjoy away from the film itself as Lalo wrote lots of cool source music for it. As far as I know it is still available on his Aleph label.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    BULLITT is a must see for anyone who has let this one slip through the cracks. And it is a score that one can really enjoy away from the film itself as Lalo wrote lots of cool source music for it. As far as I know it is still available on his Aleph label.

Yes it's still available...a MUST HAVE in my book beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The movie too!!!
  2. Scribe wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008)

I am glad you think so! This is my favorite (from the perspective of entertainment, not art) film of 2008, have seen it 6 times. One of the most refreshingly unpretentious things I've ever seen. and I absolutely love the score.

Journey takes me back to the feeling of 80's movies, meaning ridiculous fun without wondering if this is ever possible. That was the magic of the 80's, this movie brought me to that feeling again

And I was a bit dissapointed the score was somewhat soft in the movie (especially the rousing pieces), I was hoping for a Stardust effect tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You were hoping for awful cringe-inducing clichés?
    Blimey.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The cliches are part of the charm with things like that, IMO.

On the score, yes it could have been mixed louder, but it wasn't bad, either. One of the three times I saw it in the theatre, I took my mom, and she (who very rarely mentions film music) even had good comments about the score.
  3. Steven wrote
    You were hoping for awful cringe-inducing clichés?
    Blimey.

I like the 80's, cliche's ruled then punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I guess they were fun...if you didn't have to live through them... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Central do Brasil (Central Station)
    A simple film about the bonding between a kid and a reluctant guardian. When his mother dies in an accident he has nowhere to go except to try and track down his long-lost father. The many places they visit on their journey and the little joys and troubles that they share are what make this a charming tale.
    Antonio Pinto's score is nice with a lot of guitar work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009
    Airplane
    Just wanted to check the movie before the score is released. Turns out that I've seen half of the movie sometime recently though I can't remember where or when. But it's still enjoyable! Lloyd Bridges and Robert Stack are hilarious. Elmer's main theme is just fantastic-- deftly switching from old-style suspense to a waltz-like melody (heck, I can't find the words to describe it). And the sweeping love theme is totally Elmer!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    Airplane
    Just wanted to check the movie before the score is released. Turns out that I've seen half of the movie sometime recently though I can't remember where or when. But it's still enjoyable! Lloyd Bridges and Robert Stack are hilarious. Elmer's main theme is just fantastic-- deftly switching from old-style suspense to a waltz-like melody (heck, I can't find the words to describe it). And the sweeping love theme is totally Elmer!

I once saw this on a cinema double bill with Monty Python's The Life of Brian....best comedy double bill EVER! biggrin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is this thread for the blind?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.