• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Let's just say it's ages better than the original material.

I agree with you there. I can't listen to that Fidel stuff. At all. vomit

But the Fiedel theme for The Terminator is THE Terminator music.

Well, apart the main theme the rest is unlistenable to me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Pf. I'll take modern ballsy orchestral action by Beltrami over electronic synth noise anytime kthankxbai wink

So will I on my CD player.

Fiedel's sound is actually a part in those first two Terminator films, as much a character as the killing machines themselves, a real touch of brilliance.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

What nonsense!

As a stand alone album listen sure but as a film score to what it was intended for I have no hesitation saying Fiedel's score is FAR superior.

I disagree. There are certainly some parts of Fiedel's scores for the first two movies that fits like a glove - and nothing could improve. But I'm of the opinion that the majority of the rest is pretty unmemorable.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

What nonsense!

As a stand alone album listen sure but as a film score to what it was intended for I have no hesitation saying Fiedel's score is FAR superior.

I disagree. There are certainly some parts of Fiedel's scores for the first two movies that fits like a glove - and nothing could improve. But I'm of the opinion that the majority of the rest is pretty unmemorable.

That's because it's so much a part of the film. Don't get me wrong though, Fiedel's scores are not my listening cup of tea.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Beltrami managed to compose some of the most emotional music of the whole trilogy for the end of T3 - and in that sense made his mark on a series of films that were always going to end with this emotion-laden finale. Fiedel wouldn't have been able to pull that aspect of the arc off.

Indeed, the final cue, "Radio", is one of Beltrami´s more memorable themes, with a very dramatic arrangement of his John Connor theme. And the action material is also great, nice mix of orchestra and electronics.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

What nonsense!

What Timmer said. The rest of you are WRONG!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2009
    MMkay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2009
    In the context of the film and the narrative, Fiedel's cold and relentless score so perfectly mimicks the main character it's one of the best alignments of story and film music I've seen that is not also a great work of musical art when revisited on its own merits.

A true rare bird, but very very fine one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009
    Knowing

Entertaining for an hour and a half, but the ending is one of the most over the top finales I´ve seen in years. And pretentious I´d say. At least one can enjoy Beltrami´s work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Someone told me it's all about Christianity? Is that true?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Knowing

Entertaining for an hour and a half, but the ending is one of the most over the top finales I´ve seen in years. And pretentious I´d say. At least one can enjoy Beltrami´s work.

Is it worst than the Keanu Reeve's "up to date" version of the day the earth stood still? As in actually making you to throw a brick at the screen? 'Cause that movie me almost made me do that;
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009 edited
    The Wrestler
    A simple but very fine movie. Mickey Rourke is wonderful. Nothing more needs to be mentioned after this fab review by Martijn smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Someone told me it's all about Christianity? Is that true?

Yeah, partially, I mean not so obvious as Narnia but close.

Christodoulides wrote
    Is it worst than the Keanu Reeve's "up to date" version of the day the earth stood still? As in actually making you to throw a brick at the screen? 'Cause that movie me almost made me do that

Knowing is not as bad as the terrible The Day the Earth Stood Still. At least Knowing is entertaining for most of its footage. But that ending.....so over the top and pretentious it is almost funny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Can you spoil it for me? 'cause i won't watch it for sure smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Spoilers below...for anyone who cares.

Kid buries time capsule.
    50 years later time capsule is dug up.
    Disasters start happening and a piece of paper in the time capsule with numbers on can predict them.
    It predicts end of world.
    Nic Cage says goodbye to his kid and the kid gets on a space ship.
    Nic Cage and whole world blow up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    hahaha is that it?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sorry, I forgot about the glowing people that "invite" you to leave earth on the space ship. You can only go if you can hear them whispering.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Spoiler tags Anthony. biggrin wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Sorry, I forgot about the glowing people that "invite" you to leave earth on the space ship. You can only go if you can hear them whispering.

So the cheesy ending is that the earth blows up?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Yup.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Spoilers below...for anyone who cares.

Kid buries time capsule.
    50 years later time capsule is dug up.
    Disasters start happening and a piece of paper in the time capsule with numbers on can predict them.
    It predicts end of world.
    Nic Cage says goodbye to his kid and the kid gets on a space ship.
    Nic Cage and whole world blow up.

Thanks Anthony, you saved me money and more importantly a couple hours of my life beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed! Same here, this is why i asked! I think we shall do that in a new thread.......

FULL SPOILERS ABOUT (mostly CRAPPY) MOVIES YOU DON'T NEED TO SEE
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Saw last night...

Somewhere in Time
    While there's not much to the story (time traveling Christopher Reeve falls in love with Jane Seymour) the chemistry between Reeve and Seymour, and the Barry score are what makes this sparkle!
    Very interesting to read about how this did badly in the cinemas but was a hit on cable TV... so much that people wrote hundreds of letters for repeat telecasts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Actually the cheesy ending is that one. The pretentious and over the top one is the fact that thousands of kids around the world are saved by the glowing people and are sent (through dozens of spaceships) to a planet where they are suposed to do I don´t know exactly what. But who cares, "Caleb Leaves" - "Roll Over Beethoven" - "New World Round" - "Who Wants an Apple" sound really loud in the ending.
  2. Quarantine
    aka the Americanized version of "REC"

This is not the same experience. I must say that Quarantine follows basically the Spanish movie 80%, even in names (which is stupid considering Jennifer Carpenter and Angela Vidal are not working together). It is cool for once an American movie is trying to re create as much of the original as possible, but by doing this you receive an emotionless experience. Man it is like saying a line because they know they have to say it. It is so fixed on duplicating everything, it loses a soul of its own.

The chaotic element of REC is also gone, the people that live in the building don't create a bond at all and it all feels staged. The wonderful quality of REC was it felt and looked real, here it looks pretty real but it doesn't feel real at all. There are some added bonuses (brief new scenes) and they explain more or less what is happening but pretty much, this is a weaker version. A good scare if you haven't seen the original, but a weak brother if you saw REC first.

6 out of 10, but if you want scare, realism and emotion, REC conquers all
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BY FAR. There's a reason almost all american remakes of such movies suck.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    BY FAR. There's a reason almost all american remakes of such movies suck.

I find it cool they are trying to use as much from the original as possible, that means they had a lot of respect for the original

But it doesn't work, this is not the same
    Man, I miss that stairway scene in Quarantine
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    Saw last night...

Somewhere in Time
    While there's not much to the story (time traveling Christopher Reeve falls in love with Jane Seymour) the chemistry between Reeve and Seymour, and the Barry score are what makes this sparkle!
    Very interesting to read about how this did badly in the cinemas but was a hit on cable TV... so much that people wrote hundreds of letters for repeat telecasts.

It has quite a large cult following which I've never understood? It's a nice little film, what I'd call a pleasent Sunday afternoon viewing.

Barry's score sold in very large numbers, helped in no small part due to the Rachmanibof piece.
  4. GET SMART

I was expecting a dumb ass Johnny English kind of movie, but hell this one is quite fun. Carell is actually really funny and there are also jokes I didn't see coming at all.

It is all silly but enjoyable. The chemistry between Carell and Hathaway (what a cutie wink ) is just good enough and the ending's cool. And Rabin's score works really well

Ah, pleasantly surprised smile
    7 out of 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009
    I'd like to watch that; if Carell didn't actually 'cause me to vomit