• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Cloverfield on Blu-ray

I think I've just found a new film with the best sound mix ever. Ironically though, no score. rolleyes

Ah well, what's probably the best technical accomplishment in recent movie history this really is a dream to watch on a big screen with loud speakers.

Here's the thing about the mix... it should have sounded like it was recorded with a HD-Handy Cam (below average 2 channel stereo sound) and not in a professional 7.1 deafening DTS Dolby THX surround sound mix.

Ok, admittedly I do agree with you on that. But it would have sucked if that was the case. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    The Unborn

Better than I expected, although it uses all the usual tricks of the american horror films we´ve seen in the last years. At least it is kinda creepy in some parts and (I never thought I´d say that) Ramin Djawadi´s score is as unmemorable as effective for the overall tone of the movie. Add to that Gary Oldman in a supporting role and a super extra hot main actress and you have it.

Have you seen the UNINVITED too? I know you dig horror movies in general and those 2 interest me although i don't want to find myself throwing away 2 hours with the same american teen / college-slashing and slaying films we've seen innumerate times smile

Yes I saw "The Uninvited" last week. Very uninspired and boring (specially if you´ve watched the korean original film) and most of Young´s score is not used in the film ( confused). So I wouldn´t even bother about it, I´d watch the original one. And this coming from me, a die hard fan of this kind of films and horror in general.

As for "The Unborn", also very clichéd, unoriginal and using all the tricks they can, but at least it manages to create a really bizarre mood. Between this one and The Uninvited, I´d recommend The Unborn, but with reservations; after all, it is an american horror movie whose target are teenagers. Oh, I know you SO love Djawadi´s score that I won´t make any comment about it, find out for yourself tongue wink
    (The reason Djawadi did this is Michael Bay produced the film through his Platinum Dunes company).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    The Unborn

Better than I expected, although it uses all the usual tricks of the american horror films we´ve seen in the last years. At least it is kinda creepy in some parts and (I never thought I´d say that) Ramin Djawadi´s score is as unmemorable as effective for the overall tone of the movie. Add to that Gary Oldman in a supporting role and a super extra hot main actress and you have it.

Have you seen the UNINVITED too? I know you dig horror movies in general and those 2 interest me although i don't want to find myself throwing away 2 hours with the same american teen / college-slashing and slaying films we've seen innumerate times smile

Yes I saw "The Uninvited" last week. Very uninspired and boring (specially if you´ve watched the korean original film) and most of Young´s score is not used in the film ( confused). So I wouldn´t even bother about it, I´d watch the original one. And this coming from me, a die hard fan of this kind of films and horror in general.

As for "The Unborn", also very clichéd, unoriginal and using all the tricks they can, but at least it manages to create a really bizarre mood. Between this one and The Uninvited, I´d recommend The Unborn, but with reservations; after all, it is an american horror movie whose target are teenagers. Oh, I know you SO love Djawadi´s score that I won´t make any comment about it, find out for yourself tongue wink
    (The reason Djawadi did this is Michael Bay produced the film through his Platinum Dunes company).

Thanks! You saved me from wasting more hours of my life wink As for reasons behind Djawadi getting ANY kind of score, in a perfect world, they would never exist!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thanks! You saved me from wasting more hours of my life wink As for reasons behind Djawadi getting ANY kind of score, in a perfect world, they would never exist!

You welcome smile The truth is that even I am tired of this kind of horror films, recycling again and again what we´ve already seen a thousand times.

If I want good horror experiences I look to Japan or Korea (with few exceptions like [REC]), they make very different kind of horror films, not so tricky and explicit as the american movies, and far more scarier.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm about to watch Terminator 2 for the very first time...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    I'm about to watch Terminator 2 for the very first time...

Shame on you Anthony, shame on you....

(you really haven´t watched it YET?)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nope, I've only seen the third one and part of the first. I figured as the new one looks kick-ass I should get what people say is the best one in as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    OH.MY.GOD.

Not only you have not watched T2 but only PART of the first one?! shocked
    Do your homework this weekend!

I still remember when I went to the cinema to watch T2. Longest queue I´ve ever made.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why would you want to watch that? wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ok, maybe I won't watch T2 as the disc I rented has the front overlay all coming off. That's going straight back to blockbuster. T3 it is then... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Ok, maybe I won't watch T2 as the disc I rented has the front overlay all coming off. That's going straight back to blockbuster. T3 it is then... slant

Trust me, you want to watch T1 and T2.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    OH.MY.GOD.

I still remember when I went to the cinema to watch T2. Longest queue I´ve ever made.

One of the best action films ever made, a masterclass in how it should be done.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Why would you want to watch that? wink

Surely you jest?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote

T3 is a sorry-ass excuse compared with the first two films.
  1. Marselus wrote
    OH.MY.GOD.

oh my god indeed

the first one is super, but the second is simply magnificent. MCG will never get the same feeling, spectacle and emotion out of his upcoming Terminator, because you can't beat perfection wink

This is a movie with special effects that still look so good after all these years
    Arnie's legendary here

Hasta La Vista BABY beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yeah, on my first viewing of T3 after seeing it at the cinema six years ago, that was one of the most boring action movies I've seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    OH.MY.GOD.

Indeed. Masterpiece from start to ending, and one of my best experiences in a theater.
  2. Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    OH.MY.GOD.

Indeed. Masterpiece from start to ending, and one of my best experiences in a theater.

man, how cool was it to sit there in the theatre, seeing Arnie closing in on John when suddenly he says, Get Down

punk

Cinema magic baby, cinema magic
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

But as a stand-alone, it's quite entertaining. And Beltrami's score is great.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

Agree completely. beer
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

Agree completely. beer

Yes! Result!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Edit
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

Really? There was so ok action music towards the beginning but other than that I found it a very repetitive action score with no themes whatsoever. Is it better on CD?
  5. Beltrami managed to compose some of the most emotional music of the whole trilogy for the end of T3 - and in that sense made his mark on a series of films that were always going to end with this emotion-laden finale. Fiedel wouldn't have been able to pull that aspect of the arc off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Let's just say it's ages better than the original material.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote

I agree with you there. I can't listen to that Fidel stuff. At all. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice! beer But we better star taking our coats now..... wink
  6. Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I agree with you there. I can't listen to that Fidel stuff. At all. vomit

But the Fiedel theme for The Terminator is THE Terminator music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

What nonsense!

As a stand alone album listen sure but as a film score to what it was intended for I have no hesitation saying Fiedel's score is FAR superior.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Pf. I'll take modern ballsy orchestral action by Beltrami over electronic synth noise anytime kthankxbai wink