• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009
    and last night...

Le Dernier Metro (The Last Metro)
    Gerard Depardieu and Catherine Deneuve. Truffaut & Delerue. Long but good! With the rising antisemitism in the pre-WW2 days Deneuve's husband, who is a playwright, hides in the cellar while watching his wife and other actors prepare for their next play. The excellent cast of characters are what make this enjoyable! Delerue's score is subdued except for brief statements of the love theme but when the movie concludes the music gushes forth with his distinctive, lyrical melody. Wow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009
    WHERE IS EVERYBODY? This was the pilot episode for the Twilight Zone series. It included the 10 minute intro by Rod Serling about the show and featured a score by Bernard Herrmann.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. sdtom wrote
    WHERE IS EVERYBODY? This was the pilot episode for the Twilight Zone series. It included the 10 minute intro by Rod Serling about the show and featured a score by Bernard Herrmann.
    Thomas

...and a very good score it is too!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2009
    The person watching it with me made the comment how the music made the episode even scarier. That is the power of music.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    WHERE IS EVERYBODY?

I DON'T KNOW!?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    WHERE IS EVERYBODY?

I DON'T KNOW!?

HERE'S YOUR COAT!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BhelPuri wrote
    and last night...

Le Dernier Metro (The Last Metro)
    Gerard Depardieu and Catherine Deneuve. Truffaut & Delerue. Long but good! With the rising antisemitism in the pre-WW2 days Deneuve's husband, who is a playwright, hides in the cellar while watching his wife and other actors prepare for their next play. The excellent cast of characters are what make this enjoyable! Delerue's score is subdued except for brief statements of the love theme but when the movie concludes the music gushes forth with his distinctive, lyrical melody. Wow!

My all-time favourite film theme. Wow indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    WHERE IS EVERYBODY?

I DON'T KNOW!?

HERE'S YOUR COAT!!

THANK YOU!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Really an excellent episode Where Is Everybody
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    True Crime
    Clint Eastwood directs and acts in this crime drama. With only 12 hours left for the execution of a murder convict it appears that he may be innocent after all and Clint is the only man who's out to prove it. Decent flick. Clint's kid in the movie is played by his daughter in real life. She's simply delightful to watch, even if it is only for a few minutes. Lennie Niehaus' score is expectedly minimal.
  2. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    WHERE IS EVERYBODY?

I DON'T KNOW!?

HERE'S YOUR COAT!!

THANK YOU!

lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2009 edited
    The Unborn

Better than I expected, although it uses all the usual tricks of the american horror films we´ve seen in the last years. At least it is kinda creepy in some parts and (I never thought I´d say that) Ramin Djawadi´s score is as unmemorable as effective for the overall tone of the movie. Add to that Gary Oldman in a supporting role and a super extra hot main actress and you have it.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Cloverfield on Blu-ray

I think I've just found a new film with the best sound mix ever. Ironically though, no score. rolleyes

Ah well, what's probably the best technical accomplishment in recent movie history this really is a dream to watch on a big screen with loud speakers.

Plus at the end of a violent, shit-your-pants monster movie, you get Giacchino's insane overture over the end credits. What a random but inspired idea! cool punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2009
    Marselus wrote
    The Unborn

Better than I expected, although it uses all the usual tricks of the american horror films we´ve seen in the last years. At least it is kinda creepy in some parts and (I never thought I´d say that) Ramin Djawadi´s score is as unmemorable as effective for the overall tone of the movie. Add to that Gary Oldman in a supporting role and a super extra hot main actress and you have it.

Have you seen the UNINVITED too? I know you dig horror movies in general and those 2 interest me although i don't want to find myself throwing away 2 hours with the same american teen / college-slashing and slaying films we've seen innumerate times smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Anthony wrote
    Cloverfield on Blu-ray

I think I've just found a new film with the best sound mix ever. Ironically though, no score. rolleyes

Ah well, what's probably the best technical accomplishment in recent movie history this really is a dream to watch on a big screen with loud speakers.

Plus at the end of a violent, shit-your-pants monster movie, you get Giacchino's insane overture over the end credits. What a random but inspired idea! cool punk

Yes, that's like the ultimate gift you don't expect if it's your first viewing. It's a piece that gets better with each listen, and I like the fact it's only used once, so no repetition has set in by the time it plays over the credits. Giacchino sure made me smile with those 10 brilliant minutes.

And is Cloverfield really better than Transformers, sound-wise? I think that's a very tough one to beat, judging from the stellar DVD mix.

And I've found out that hi-def sound really is the most amazing thing if you have the right setup, DD 5.1 is good, but the dynamics and range found in the best HD tracks is something which blows me away every time.
    It's the only way to experience movies IMO as opposed to just watching them with lousy TV speakers.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Little Children

A fine film which understandably doesn't approach the depth of the novel, but does the best it can, with simply fabulous performances and a gem of a score, which is probably my most-played CD of the last five years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Little Children

A fine film which understandably doesn't approach the depth of the novel, but does the best it can, with simply fabulous performances and a gem of a score, which is probably my most-played CD of the last five years.

I didn't appreciate it when i first viewed it, nor does the score say too much to me; maybe i should revisit both smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Cloverfield on Blu-ray

Here's the thing about the mix... it should have sounded like it was recorded with a HD-Handy Cam (below average 2 channel stereo sound) and not in a professional 7.1 deafening DTS Dolby THX surround sound mix. It should have sounded like The Blair Witch Project. So, in that respect it's the worst sound mix of all time!

-Erik-

PS - IMHO, NOTHING beats the sound mix on Saving Private Ryan!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The are other handy hd cams by Sony which are fairly priced and can record a very good, crisp 5.1
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Schindler's List

The planets were aligned just so and it felt right to watch it again. Floors me every time, just an extremely sobering experience.
  4. Southall wrote
    Little Children

I agree. And I think while people will be embarrassed to look back on AMERICAN BEAUTY's insights on surburban bourgeois life in 10 years, no-one will find anything critical to say about LITTLE CHILDREN.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    The are other handy hd cams by Sony which are fairly priced and can record a very good, crisp 5.1

But nothing like the sound in Cloverfield. The characters in the film weren't using high end cameras.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Schindler's List

The planets were aligned just so and it felt right to watch it again. Floors me every time, just an extremely sobering experience.

While Raiders is my all time favorite film, Schindler's is the best movie ever made! I try to watch it once a year!

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote

Just to show that the competition between these camps never dies, I nominate the superlative sound work of THE THIN RED LINE.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

But nothing like the sound in Cloverfield. The characters in the film weren't using high end cameras.

-Erik-

Yeah but it's cinema; it's an artificial alternation of reality; Cloverfield never claimed to be a documentary; it's a cinematic installment despite how it is stylistically shot, and everything technical in it is dictated by that. If we are going to comment the "unnaturalness" of the sound, the same can be said about the crystal clear, crisp quality of the picture too smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Yeah but it's cinema; it's an artificial alternation of reality; Cloverfield never claimed to be a documentary; it's a cinematic installment despite how it is stylistically shot, and everything technical in it is dictated by that. If we are going to comment the "unnaturalness" of the sound, the same can be said about the crystal clear, crisp quality of the picture too smile

True, but, you can get crisp, clear picture with most HD consumer cameras... but if this is suppose to be FOUND footage then it should at least sound like it. Again, I point you in the direction of the Blair Witch Project!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Which was major crap. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Which was major crap. wink

That's a different issue all together.

-Erik-

PS - I actually liked The Blair Witch Project. Could it have been better... absolutely... but there were moments where is scared the bajesus (sp) out of me! It was very effective, inventive, and original.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Schindler's List

While Raiders is my all time favorite film, Schindler's is the best movie ever made! I try to watch it once a year!

-Erik-

Why do you think Schindler's is the best film ever made Erik?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Erik Woods wrote

Do you mean the sound mix on the Blu-Ray version?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh