• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Pan's Labyrinth (Blu-ray)

I always had a soft spot for Guillermo Del Toro (except for maybe Hellboy, which I just couldn't get into), but with this one I am convinced this man is one of the world's most visionary stylistic directors working in the business.

I could never get into this film, despite it's obvious visual strengths.

Loved it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agree with Franz.
    Some beautiful photography aside, the characters were clichéd beyond the acceptable.
    Especially Captain Vidal, whom I was expecting at every point to do an Evil Laugh and twist his (non-existent) dark moustache.

The film would have benefitted greatly from the realm of the fairytale NOT being mirrored by the realm of the hyperbole.

RV: The Spirit (2008)
    I love Will Eisner's 60-year old creation which in its original comics run was clever, witty and at many a time quite moving (due to award-winning Eisner's genius of telling powerfully human stories through deceptively simple characters).
    This film though is a by-the-numbers, lifeless, self-indulgent mess, with writer/diretor Frank Miller basically retreading every single stylistic effect of his own Sin City, which is the superior film here.

Pointless, especially as the characters in The Spirit aren't half as interesting or engrossing.
    And quite boring, to boot.

1 out of 5

David Newman's score is up to the thankless task, and creates a nice amalgam of forties film noire and heroic action music.

3 out of 5

-------------------------------------

RV: The Wrestler (2009)
    Mickey Rourke does a tour de force as an old wrestler Randy "The Ram" who has reached his peak in the eighties -the heyday of American Wrestling- , but is now relegated to doing backyard and "extreme wrestling" (catch with a decidedly sadistic twist, using staple guns, barbed wire and broken glass) appearances to make ends meet next to his menial job in a major super market.

Rourke is the quintessential wash-up, trying desperately to kling to past glory and the only thing he has to work with, his body. In a diconcertingly documentary-like fashion we see his doomed relationshp with aging stripper Marisa Tomei, his bleak and hopeless trailerpark home life, and his age finally catching up with his drugs and abuse riddled body.

Yet for all his shortcomings -and this is where the film really rises miles over the inherently cliched premise- Rourke remains a really likeable, softspoken guy. He hasn't been acting very nicely -he has neglected his daughter for years and completely messes up the reunion- , but the overall impression is that he got caught up in a life that he doesn't fully understand, and that he's trying to make sense out of with a naivete and quietness that is really quite touching at times.

I found this a really powerful film about dreams and disillusionment. About the ache and heartbreak of coming to grips with the present when all that you really have to hang onto is a distant past. Those struggles, so desperate and unwinnable, struck a powerfully melacholic note in me that lifted this film -which even objectively is already very good- to a higher level for me.

However it should be noted that I am biased: In my teens I was fascinated by the then up-and-coming American Wrestling phenomenon and I was there for its heydays (though only through TV). I have since read a bit about the business and found that the sad reality is that it was a thankless world, where men by incredible muscle and stamina enhancing drug abuse completely destroyed their bodies and their minds, and washed up much like Randy.
    So in many ways I have seen my erstwhile "heroes" topple.

That combined with the fact that there's a lot of harkening back in the film to the eighties, a mostly dark, melancholy and unpleasant decade for me AND the fact that lead actress Marisa Tomei is the fucking SPITTING IMAGE of my very first (obviously tragic and dramatic) love, pretty much ensures there are some very raw, very personal fringes around my experience of this film.

Still, even with all that, I would still highly recommend the film.
    It's powerful, intelligent and very human.

And bloody HELL does Rourke look buff at age 57!!! shocked

4 out of 5

Clint Mansell's electric guitar driven score is extremely sparse, which fits the nigh-documentary style of the film.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Southall wrote
    The Kite Runner

A beautiful film. Poignant story, well-acted, great score. Moving.

I watched this the other day and loved it too. Very well acted, as you say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Agree with Franz.
    Some beautiful photography aside, the characters were clichéd beyond the acceptable.
    Especially Captain Vidal, whom I was expecting at every point to do an Evil Laugh and twist his (non-existent) dark moustache.

The film would have benefitted greatly from the realm of the fairytale NOT being mirrored by the realm of the hyperbole.

About Pan's Labyrinth

IMO the characters are not clichéd, just realistic in their depiction, so that's why we've seen em lots of times before in many other good drama's. Not everything is clear in the beginning, it's only by watching the story unfold we learn how good / evil these people are. If anything I really felt for the doctor, the woman and the young girl because of their hopeless struggle.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Gran Torino

What a great drama by Eastwood! Exciting, touching and funny at the same time. Great acting too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    IMO the characters are not clichéd, just realistic in their depiction, so that's why we've seen em lots of times before in many other good drama's.

That is the very definition of a stereotype.
    A stereotype can be enjoyable as a dramatic element, but it can easily get to be a cliché...and I'm honestly not sure how it wasn't clear from the very beginning what role these people were supposed to play (it was hammered home from the get-go! The sickly mother, the dreaming, adventurous girl, the evil totalitarian army man... ye gods. It's all the stereotypes of a fairytale!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Eric wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    REC

I saw this one last night on DVD . I watched the original Spanish version .
    Not a bad film and the last 10 to 15 minutes were pretty eerie yes .
    Some of the rest I've seen before in dozens of other zombie / horror movies .
    I actually jumped only once and that was near the end !
    Some people on the net label this one as the scariest movie ever made but that's a bit of an overstatement in my book ...
    But all in all it was an entertaining 70 minutes ... wink

the scariest movie ever made, no not that
    but still nerve wrecking yes

those final 20 minutes run by without question, and the final darkness scene is simply magnificent punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    IMO the characters are not clichéd, just realistic in their depiction, so that's why we've seen em lots of times before in many other good drama's.

That is the very definition of a stereotype.
    A stereotype can be enjoyable as a dramatic element, but it can easily get to be a cliché...and I'm honestly not sure how it wasn't clear from the very beginning what role these people were supposed to play (it was hammered home from the get-go! The sickly mother, the dreaming, adventurous girl, the evil totalitarian army man... ye gods. It's all the stereotypes of a fairytale!

I second the motion for an intelligent reading of that film. punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote
    After a long break of no movie watching for 48 hours, last night I saw-

Va, Vis et Deviens (Live and Become)
    In 1984 Israel accepted thousands of Ethiopian Jews under Operation Moses. This film deals with the story of a kid who is left with only his mother after the rest of their family has died. He is passed off as a Jew by his mother so that he can survive and make a life in Israel. The movie covers a lot of ground from his childhood days of scrutiny and suspicion (whether he is really a Jew or not), to the adolescent age (embracing a Jewish life and living with his adopted family), and finally as a young man. All the while he still pines for his mother back in Africa.
    Even if the story gets a little Hollywood-ish towards the end this is a an excellent film. Armand Amar's score is every bit as good as it is on cd.

Has anyone else seen this? You should!

Haven't seen it but Armand has crafted a stunning score for this one, it's my favorite score by him so far.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Eric wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    REC

I saw this one last night on DVD . I watched the original Spanish version .
    Not a bad film and the last 10 to 15 minutes were pretty eerie yes .
    Some of the rest I've seen before in dozens of other zombie / horror movies .
    I actually jumped only once and that was near the end !
    Some people on the net label this one as the scariest movie ever made but that's a bit of an overstatement in my book ...
    But all in all it was an entertaining 70 minutes ... wink

the scariest movie ever made, no not that
    but still nerve wrecking yes

those final 20 minutes run by without question, and the final darkness scene is simply magnificent punk

I usually don't watch this kind of films, mainly because i am not too attracted to the genre (apart its music) and secondly because they're mostly cheap, crappy productions, but this movie is an exception i am happy to have made, thanks to Marcel. Best horror / thriller movie i've seen in ages, after THE ORPHANAGE (EL ORFANADO).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    Gran Torino

What a great drama by Eastwood! Exciting, touching and funny at the same time. Great acting too.

Loved it too! I liked that the direction wasn't overflowing us with useless camera movements and excessive elements (as it seems to be the stereotype these days, especially with younger, flashy "cool" directors) and it was a bit more old-school and metered. The acting was very powerful, the music was weak but overall a very strong movie with excellent balance between good humor and drama.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    RV: The Wrestler (2009)

Martijn, i am not biased with this one since i was never into Wrestling and naturally not into 80's either, but i have to say that movie really touched me; i absolutely loved it and i am glad you did too!

Looking forward to more frequent movie reviews by you, btw; have you thought about the possibility of a movie review blog or something?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

Looking forward to more frequent movie reviews by you, btw; have you thought about the possibility of a movie review blog or something?

Thanks, D. , but nar, there's far too many of those around already. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    After a long break of no movie watching for 48 hours, last night I saw-

Va, Vis et Deviens (Live and Become)
    In 1984 Israel accepted thousands of Ethiopian Jews under Operation Moses. This film deals with the story of a kid who is left with only his mother after the rest of their family has died. He is passed off as a Jew by his mother so that he can survive and make a life in Israel. The movie covers a lot of ground from his childhood days of scrutiny and suspicion (whether he is really a Jew or not), to the adolescent age (embracing a Jewish life and living with his adopted family), and finally as a young man. All the while he still pines for his mother back in Africa.
    Even if the story gets a little Hollywood-ish towards the end this is a an excellent film. Armand Amar's score is every bit as good as it is on cd.

Has anyone else seen this? You should!

Haven't seen it but Armand has crafted a stunning score for this one, it's my favorite score by him so far.

You should definitely see this if you love really good dramas. A deeply touching movie where you can follow the life of the main characters through decades and it does leave a mark in the soul of the viewer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks! I plan to beer

Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Thanks, D. , but nar, there's far too many of those around already. smile

They're not Martijn's wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn applause Martijn applause Martijn applause Martijn applause .....
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Seriously, Martijn! That was some fine writing for the Wrestler review! We want more! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    Seriously, Martijn! That was some fine writing for the Wrestler review! We want more! biggrin

I think we'll get that everytime Martijn feels passionate about a film he's watched.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I enjoy writing about films I hate much more. biggrin The potential adjectives are so emotionally satisfying.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    I enjoy writing about films I hate much more. biggrin The potential adjectives are so emotionally satisfying.

See, this is my outlook on life. biggrin tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Martijn wrote

spin

Motion to create sticky thread for Martijn's reviews is raised.
  3. I second the motion. In the words of the not-so-great prison warden of the Third Reich, Von Luger: "We have in effect put all our rotten eggs in one basket. And we intend to watch this basket carefully." wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2009
    I watched the Sundance 2008 winner called Frozen River with Melissa Leo who was on Homicide for many years. It had to do with a woman who was married to a gambler, thus no money, and decided to partner up with a Mohawk and smuggle aliens across the Canadian border. Living in San Diego as I do the idea was a bit novel considering the fact that I've seen so much of it from this border. The cold weather made me think of Erik!!! Above average film (**1/2).
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2009 edited
    Twilight

Terrible movie in all aspects; if anything, the photography is really good. But the rest is so lame and clichéd. Carter Burwell doesn´t help by the way. Annoying score.

You want a good vampire story? Try "Let the Right One In" and forget copy/paste teenagers dramas like Twilight.

1 out of 5

The Uninvited

Average remake of the korean movie, and obviously, worse. Predictable since minute one (even if you haven´t watched the original film) and what is worse, much of the score featured on the soundtrack cd is not in the film (almost all the choral work is not in the film). Why??

2 out of 5
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Twilight

Terrible movie in all aspects; if anything, the photography is really good. But the rest is so lame and clichéd. Carter Burwell doesn´t help by the way. Annoying score.

You want a good vampire story? Try "Let the Right One In" and forget copy/paste teenagers dramas like Twilight.

1 out of 5

The Uninvited

Average remake of the korean movie, and obviously, worse. Predictable since minute one (even if you haven´t watched the original film) and what is worse, much of the score featured on the soundtrack cd is not in the film (almost all the choral work is not in the film). Why??

2 out of 5

Why?
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Yeah, why? I mean it was the best part of the music!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  4. I LOVE the screaming choir!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009
    I'll avoid both at all cost!!!! Has anyone else seen Frozen River. Even Erik might feel a bit chilly.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009 edited
    saw 2 nights ago...

Twilight Zone: The Movie
    Bah! I wanted to check this one to decide whether to get the score. The movie was barely tolerable. Perhaps you need to take it with a certain frame of mind and not expect much. I don't know. To use adjectives in Hindi I'd call it dabba or bakwaas.
    The Goldsmith score for Kick the Can story is lovely-- lyrical and full of magic. And some of the tense themes for the Monster on a Plane were very effective. But I think I won't get the score for now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009
    The Lost Son
    Starring Daniel Auteuil and Nastassja Kinski. This one follows the Nicholas Cage movie 8 mm very closely. Except, the subject matter is more disturbing here (kids involved). Daniel Auteuil plays a detective who is investigating the disappearance of Kinski's brother. It's a decent film. It's nice to see Auteuil play a different role than the soft/romantic types he usually does, even if it's a little unconvincing here.
    I don't remember much from the score by Goran Bregovic except for the excellent end titles which features a tango-like theme on guitars with some electronics and percussion. Lovely!