• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2009
    Things We Lost in the Fire

Since I loved the Danish director, Susanne Bier's earlier films I was very curious about this one made in the USA. And it was excellent, so much so that I'm still under its effect. A really moving human drama with absolutely great acting, a beautiful script, excellent direction - and I even liked Gustavo Santaollalla's main title and end title music, which is something, believe me...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2009
    Bullitt
    Fast paced with some exciting chase sequences. Entertaining! cool

Naan Kadavul (I am God)
    Indian film in Tamil language. Very intense and disturbing. The begging mafia which was only superficially covered in Slumdog Millionaire gets a deeper look. Director Bala goes all out showing the exploitation of deformed people and some of them are very sad to look at. This is not the commercial, masala stuff that one would normally associate Indian films with. In the midst of this there's an aghori ascetic who returns to his native town and dispenses with his own form of justice.
    The score by veteran Ilayaraaja is effective although he does tend to pull out all the stops with the harrowing scenes. And he's still stuck on his jazzy 80s sound which, in some scenes is incongruous with the setting/context.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2009
    Cache
    Daniel Auteuil and Juliette Binoche. I was expecting a thriller but this one is a mix of a slow, psychological thriller and an art-house film with a social commentary. Some questions are deliberately left unresolved. As for the basic plot... Auteuil and Binoche are a French couple who receive mysterious videos (like a hidden-cam footage) focused on their house. As more videos arrive, it seems that there might be some connection with Auteuil's past.
    I like all the Daniel Auteuil movies I've seen so far but this one is the most serious and probably my least favorite.
  1. REC

Rented this one, due to the positive critic it received here, and I'm glad I didn't rent the American version, but the Spanish one

It is terrific horrific stuff, man I'm still shaking here
    Once the terror starts, it is damn frightening and nerve wrecking, if you want a scare this one is pure recommended terror

filmed extremely well, and the design is top notch punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    REC

Rented this one, due to the positive critic it received here, and I'm glad I didn't rent the American version, but the Spanish one

Cool! Added to my Netflix queue. They don't have it yet though sad
  2. BhelPuri wrote
    Cache
    Daniel Auteuil and Juliette Binoche. I was expecting a thriller but this one is a mix of a slow, psychological thriller and an art-house film with a social commentary. Some questions are deliberately left unresolved. As for the basic plot... Auteuil and Binoche are a French couple who receive mysterious videos (like a hidden-cam footage) focused on their house. As more videos arrive, it seems that there might be some connection with Auteuil's past.
    I like all the Daniel Auteuil movies I've seen so far but this one is the most serious and probably my least favorite.

Chilling film. Brilliant in a way. I don't know that I ever want to see it again, but I was left impressed. The absence of music was a good choice.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    REC

Once the terror starts, it is damn frightening and nerve wrecking, if you want a scare this one is pure recommended terror

Glad you liked it Thomas wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    REC

Glad you liked it Thomas wink

loved it, some scenes will be forever in my memory (and it doesn't come to a shock they are from the last half hour wink )

Looking forward to Rec 2, from the same director smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Cache

Chilling film. Brilliant in a way. I don't know that I ever want to see it again, but I was left impressed. The absence of music was a good choice.

Oh yes, the complete absence of music also helped. And it added that element of curiosity by not telling us what to feel.
    Boy, I checked the director's filmography and I see he did Le Pianiste. I did not like that movie at all. Totally weird stuff it is. slant

Saw last night...

Foxy Brown
    Blaxploitation. Starring Pam Grier. The opening is a fun spoof of the Bond opening songs. Lots of bad acting and some hilarious one-liners ('I have a black belt in bar stools'). It wasn't much different from a good old Bolly of the 80s (except for the nudity, of course). biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was about to play something but I just found out one of my all time favourite horror films is on, NIGHT OF THE DEMON, on BBC 2 right now, a genuine atmospheric and creepy classic that pisses all over 99% of what passes for horror films now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2009
    RV: Galaxy Quest

Funny movie. biggrin
  4. William wrote
    RV: Galaxy Quest

Funny movie. biggrin

fun movie indeed, original concept
    but those effects are simply magnificent, not even big budget movies hold these kind of effects
    I want this one on Blu-ray smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I was about to play something but I just found out one of my all time favourite horror films is on, NIGHT OF THE DEMON, on BBC 2 right now, a genuine atmospheric and creepy classic that pisses all over 99% of what passes for horror films now.

AT FOOKING FOUR IN THE MORNING?!? shocked
    No wonder I missed it.
    Damn. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    The Postman
    Insanely long, epic Kevin Costner film. What a big risk he took just a couple of years after Waterworld!
    I do like the film-- it's the usual Costner-plays-reluctant-hero role but a lot of it was silly. Olivia Williams is gorgeous! JNH's score is nice and pushes all the buttons. I think I might have the cd somewhere but not listened to it.
  5. BhelPuri wrote
    The Postman
    Insanely long, epic Kevin Costner film. What a big risk he took just a couple of years after Waterworld!
    I do like the film-- it's the usual Costner-plays-reluctant-hero role but a lot of it was silly. Olivia Williams is gorgeous! JNH's score is nice and pushes all the buttons. I think I might have the cd somewhere but not listened to it.

long time I saw the movie, liked it, don't remember much of it but the score does sound gorgeous smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Had some fun tonight watching awful re-runs of supernatural 'investigation' shows:

6ixth Sense with Colin Fry

I always enjoy a bit of psychic-centric programming - not because I'm interested in the afterlife, but because I simply can't believe the sheer audacity of the people who claim to be in touch with it. The show features a heavy disclaimer in the credits - a wodge of text that shoots down any notion of plausibility, claiming the show is for entertainment purposes only and is not purporting to be taken as factual. In other words, these sort of shows, by their own admission, are making grief-stricken relatives cry for entertainment. Nevertheless, the victims fall for it, possibly because they can't quite believe a fellow human being would exploit the pain of their bereavement for financial gain. Disgusting really.

Most Haunted

Less sickening, though equally preposterous, this is basically a cross between The Blair Witch Project and Scooby Doo, hosted by Yvette Fielding and 'Britain's leading psychic' Derek Acorah. It's outrageous nonsense - nothing but a bunch of people lamely making stuff up, holding seances and going 'woooh', shot with night-vision cameras to make it look creepy. The only thing genuinely returning from the grave here is Yvette's career. Still, Derek's hilarious, particularly when he gets 'possessed' by spirits and screams the word 'bitch' right into Yvette's face. If he believes in what he's doing, he's insane. If he doesn't, he's a laughable prat. Either way, Derek loses and we win. As a 'paranormal investigation', Most Haunted is about as scientifically qualified as an average ham sandwich.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ordinary people (1980)

In this day and age of a thoroughly psychologised society, you would think that the story of a family being utterly and desparately incapable of expressing their emotion after having suffered the inconceivable loss of the eldest son, followed by a suicide attempt of the guilt-ridden second son, would hold little that is new for a Doctor Phil/emo-TV raised audience... but it does.

There isn't a sour note in the film. The script is emotionally so mature and spot on in highlighting the need and incapacity for communication and expressing emotions, it is absolutely heartbreaking.
    The performances are powerful beyond measure. It's impossible to say who's better: Donald Sutherland as the conflicted, caring and fearful father is excellent and several times brought tears to my eye in his portrayal of a man who so desperately tries to do right by everybody, but Mary Tyler Moore as the mother who cannot (or will not?) deal really got to me.

Until the very end, and even now, I am unsure what her motivations were. Is she trying to cope in her own, deeply flawed way? Does she really not care? Is she unable to love or forgive her son?
    I don't know.

Terrible things happen to ordinary people.
    I wish more people would be as insightful, as able to learn and to open up as some in this film.

5 out of 5

Marvin Hamlisch reworking of Pachelbel's Canon in D is an emotional dagger.
    But there's no original score to speak of.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2009 edited
    Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead

Not the best one I've ever seen, but still a lot of fun. Shame Michelle Ryan won't be the Doctor's new sidekick, she's infinitely more likable than Martha and much hotter than Donna. sad

Lee Evans should also be in more Doctor Whos! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2009
    Steven wrote

Not the best one I've ever seen, but still a lot of fun. Shame Michelle Ryan won't be the Doctor's new sidekick, she's infinitely more likable than Martha and much hotter than Donna. sad

I like Martha, shes a hottie IMO lick

As for Michelle Ryan she was almost worth watching East Enders for. cool wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Alien, Aliens. Tonight: Alien 3 biggrin
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I like Martha, shes a hottie IMO lick

As for Michelle Ryan she was almost worth watching East Enders for. cool wink

She is hot, I'll give you that. But I always found the character very annoying. Michelle Ryan's character could easily have been equally as annoying, but she turns it into something likable instead..... and sooooo very hot. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Never saw the attraction of Ms Ryan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You must belong to that 70% then.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lol biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2009 edited
    Rian wrote
    Alien, Aliens. Tonight: Alien 3 biggrin

cool

This is my favourite film series, next to Star Wars OT of course. I even like Resurrection.

Are you watching the extended or the theatrical cut of Alien 3 (which I find superior BTW)?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Alien Director's Cut, Aliens SE. Already watched Alien³ SE today ( rolleyes ), so it'll be Alien Resurrection SE tonight. I bought the quadrology 9dvd box on play.com last week for 8 or 9 pounds.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Dragonball Evolution

1 - I downloaded this one.
    2 - I didn´t bother looking for a screener; it was cam recorded .
    3 - 1 and 2 are way more effort than the movie deserves.

What a pile of stinking crap. Every second of this film is an insult, not only to the original series (simply impossible to make a film that lives up to the expectations) but to the art of cinema. 75 minutes of crapiness / silliness / vomit inducing material. The plot, to call it somehow, is absurd, the actors are terrible (god forbides Chow Yun Fat), the action sequences are few and seem to be directed and edited by a pushing buttons monkey, the sets seem like made by kids in the kindergarden and the CGI stuff is awful. Let´s not forget the final battle: well, let´s say I´ve watched final combats in "Walker Texas Rangers" more epic than that.

-1 out of 5

Music wise, absoluteluy nothing Tyler could have done. Actually, I´m surprised he got to be inspired when he watched the film for the first time. I still like the score, too bad I´ll always associate it with the film.
    Seriously, Tyler is already in the A list of composers, he is very popular and I assume he has loads of money: Brian, start choosing what kind of films you score.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A French film in subtitles called "Secret," yet another movie with ties to the holocaust. I hate to sound calloused about this but the Nazi stories have been plentiful lately with "Boy In Striped Pajamas," "Valkerie,"
    "The Reader," and now this. (**) with a weak score by Priesnew.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  6. Caught most of a couple of movies - and scores in situ:

Objective Burma!
    I was interested to see as much of this as I could as I really only associate Errol Flynn with his swashbuckling movies. It was an okay sort of a film and Waxman's score stood out quite well - though I think that it's better in the movie than as a separate listening experience.

Big Jake
    I was amazed that I hadn't seen this movie! I quite enjoyed it - in a caricatured, over-the-top sort of way. John Wayne kicking ass is always enjoyable to watch. Bernstein's theme for Jake himself is quite memorable but I found the rest quite uninteresting.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn