• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2009
    I do! The Last Mimzy.

I'm not familiar with The Betrayal, but I think the others are all good (a couple bordering on excellent).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I do! The Last Mimzy.

It wasn't great.... but weak?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Keky, what did you think of DOUBT'S score? I think Shore's output has been very weak during the last couple of years or more.

Hummm... Shore's post LOTR output looks something like this...

Doubt
    The Betrayal
    Eastern Promises
    The Last Mimzy
    The Departed
    A History of Violence
    The Aviator

I don't see a weak score in that list... do you?

confused

-Erik-

Of course i see:

The Last Mimzy
    Doubt
    The Betrayal

and A History of Violence wasn't anything that big either.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ But are they weak? Like I said, most of them aren't great but they aren't bad either!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Christodoulides wrote
    Keky, what did you think of DOUBT'S score? I think Shore's output has been very weak during the last couple of years or more.

To tell you the truth, the music was kind of "hidden" well in the movie because except from the church choir singing I simply cannot recall much music from the film. Maybe it's just me, because I'm not a huge fan of Shore anyway (my 3 favourites being: Big, The Aviator and Nobody's Fool)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ But are they weak? Like I said, most of them aren't great but they aren't bad either!

-Erik-

Depends on one's standpoint. If you view some of those (with the exception of the magnificent EASTERN PROMISES, The Departed and the aviator) as the work of the man behind one of the most brilliant masterpieces of film music, which is the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy, then yes, they're weak.

If you view them as coming from a "x" film composer, they're average or nothing special but good nevertheless. But then again a "x" film composer wouldn't have composed something in the scale and quality of Lord of the Rings wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The older Perry Mason television series has a lot of interesting cues from Herrmann.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    The older Perry Mason television series has a lot of interesting cues from Herrmann.

I always loved Fred Steiner's theme cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

It is so chaotic and big, it becomes funny

7 out of 10

Bingo. That line says it all. 1941 is a guilty pleasure. Just a big, stupid, dumb film that is really funny because it so ridiculously BIG and OVERTOP! Belishi is brilliant and the special effects are top notch! Classic use of miniatures! And WHAT a score! Williams in top form!

-Erik-

yes I'm pleasantly surprised how these effects and bombastic sets still look amazingly good today, it shows Spielberg remains a master no matter what

Gonna show this to my father and brother, they will get a kick out of this for sure, especially the second part wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Taken (2008/2009)
    Ultra fast paced and enjoyable. And it's nice to see Liam Neeson in an action film like this. He lends it a lot of class smile
    It seems that Powell's Bourne scores have set the new standard/template for action/spy scores. This one follows the same formula.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote
    Taken (2008/2009)
    Ultra fast paced and enjoyable. And it's nice to see Liam Neeson in an action film like this. He lends it a lot of class smile
    It seems that Powell's Bourne scores have set the new standard/template for action/spy scores. This one follows the same formula.

Loved it too, very tight action, lots of entertainment. And his daughter is HOT.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Taken (2008/2009)

Loved it too, very tight action, lots of entertainment. And his daughter is HOT.

Cool movie indeed, it really suits Liam Neeson, Maggie Grace is indeed very hot, she is a lot older and yet she pulls of a 17 year old easily tongue

Excellent movie, I was pleasantly surprised
    8 out of 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    she pulls off a 17 year old easily

...must...resist...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Let it be known it was JAMES this time. Not me. James.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Let it be known it was JAMES this time. Not me. James.

Ah; they won't give you that mate, James will be noted as a cultivated gentleman who made a witty joke whilst you will go down as a perverted teenage boy who thinks about juicy females all the time, no matter what! World is an unfair place to be! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But I'm not even a teenager... sad cry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Witty Gentlemen?....perverted teenage boys?............

Uhmmm? WHERE!????
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Hummm... Shore's post LOTR output looks something like this...

Doubt
    The Betrayal
    Eastern Promises
    The Last Mimzy
    The Departed
    A History of Violence
    The Aviator

I don't see a weak score in that list... do you?

confused

-Erik-

Frankly, THE LAST MIMZY sucks. wink But the rest are great! (And SOUL OF THE ULTIMATE NATION isn't bad either.)

(EDIT - Oh, I see Southall beat me to it on that one!)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    and A History of Violence wasn't anything that big either.

I disagree. You'd have to be completely disinterested in the story that film's trying to tell to call that anything but a very solid score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2009
    Redacted

Brian de Palma's excellent film. I don't recall it even playing in any cinema near me, so this television screening was my first chance to see it. Coming out against the Iraq war is hardly a bold step, but the film - fictionalising events surrounding something that actually happened, the rape and murder of an Iraqi girl by US troops - is extremely powerful. There are obvious echoes with Casualties of War (a soldier refusing to take part in a violent rape) but De Palma constructs the film as if it's a series of Youtube videos; I was nervous about that, but he can't help injecting the film with his visual extravagance (there are a couple of stunning shots) so it doesn't irritate in the way that so many of these "fake home-movie" films do. Very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    (Oh, and this may be the first time a de Palma film hasn't featured an original score, but he still manages to squeeze in particularly striking uses of Handel and Puccini, and I saw a piece by Badalamenti credited at the end, though I don't recall it during the film.)
  5. Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    she pulls off a 17 year old easily

...must...resist...

are you resisting because I made the OFF wrong? tongue
    sorry, it is not easy you know shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote
    Redacted

Brian de Palma's excellent film. ...

Great! Now I will have to check it out.

Saw last night...

Time After Time (1979)

I wanted to check out if I should get the score (FSM released it recently) so I saw this on Netflix. The movie is ok. H.G. Wells (Malcolm McDowell) has to go after Jack the Ripper (David Warner), who has used his time machine to get to 1970s San Francisco. He's helped by the pretty bank assistant Mary Steenburgen. It's entertaining alright but I don't understand why Steenburgen talks as if she's on a drug-induced high. dizzy
    I think I will not get the Rozsa score for now. It's nice but not a must-buy for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BhelPuri wrote
    It's entertaining alright but I don't understand why Steenburgen talks as if she's on a drug-induced high. dizzy

It's the seventies.
    She probably was.

I agree on the score: it's entertaining enough, but nowhere near a Must-Buy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I debated with myself for a while as to whether to get the Time After Time album from FSM. I greatly enjoy the previous release of it; but when I realised I hadn't listened to it for at least five years, that pretty much made my decision for me.
  6. Rozsa is still close to an automatic buy for me, but of course since I knew the FSM release wouldn't sell out any time soon, I applied to pennies to more efficient outcomes.

Like purchasing Memories of Me. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Like purchasing Memories of Me. shame

lol Finally!
  7. shame

I couldn't admit to it in the Delerue thread. I listened to the soundclips, and couldn't resist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2009 edited
    Nothing to be ashamed of. Common sense usually prevails.