• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Los Amantes del Circulo Polar (Lovers on the Arctic Circle)

Spanish film. A love story with coincidences and symmetries having a lot of say. From the director of Sex and Lucia. Very well made. Alberto Iglesias' score is special!

Totally agree. Julio Medem (the director) is my favourite spanish director. Some accuse him of making "the greatest movie ever made" everytime he directs a movie. And they may be right, but IMO he does such a personal kind of cinema. Love every film he´s ever done, specially this one you mention.

LOVE IT!

I'm also a big fan of this one.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wave

Have you seen WATCHMEN yet?

I haven't but intend to; I want to hear the opinion of someone who knows the graphic novel.

Oh! shocked
    It premiered while I was out of the country. Missed that completely.
    So no, Timmer, not seen it yet, but will do so next week. lick
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Birth

Really liked the premise of the film and found it to be an interesting watch. Nicole Kidman shines like never before. Desplat's score is the high point of the film for me. Gorgeous opening scene ('Prologue') and another lengthy scene at a concert where the focus is only on Kidman. Perhaps this is the kind of music he needs to do to win an Oscar-- give them something big instead of being subtle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Erik Woods wrote
    I thought I'd have some fun with this IRON MAN business and put some orchestral music over one of the action sequences. Here are two examples featuring the music of Alan Silvestri's ERASER.

This version features a sample of "Kruger's Escape"
    SAMPLE #1

And a more cheeseball version with a heroic main theme!
    SAMPLE #2

The music mix is really loud to drown out Djawadi's crappy score!

Enjoy!

-Erik-

I messed up the links above. They've been corrected

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I thought I'd have some fun with this IRON MAN business and put some orchestral music over one of the action sequences. Here are two examples featuring the music of Alan Silvestri's ERASER.

SAMPLE #1

SAMPLE #2

Enjoy!

-Erik-

-Erik-

ah, you see? wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    ah, you see? wink

Yup! Your comment didn't click until I revisited this thread today.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, OH!
    NICE! cool

Oh, I *do* like the second one (but then I like my cheese sliced THICKLY. With PORT. By THUNDER.

(Could you maybe post the original as well, for comparison's sake? I have NO memory of how the original track sounded)

I'd like to see someone do a Rahman version as well! Wouldn't it be cool to see Iron Man BHANGRAAAAAAaaaaaaaa... well...maybe not. shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You can see the original versions by clicking HERE

Look for the clips "Out Of Breath" and "Deploy Flaps."

-Erik-
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

SAMPLE #1

SAMPLE #2

Enjoy!

-Erik-

-Erik-

The second holds that cool theme statement I love so much, and it actually works cheesy enough wink

Good work Eric, you understand easily enough which music can work with which scene smile Ps, have you checked out my trailer version I made of Transformers II?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Good work Eric, you understand easily enough which music can work with which scene smile

Thanks, that really means a lot.

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Ps, have you checked out my trailer version I made of Transformers II?

I don't think so. If it's in the Transformers 2 thread then no. I don't look in there.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

FFS... I completely blocked that out when viewing it.
    Amazing how the whole portent of a scene can change simply by applying a musical tweak: now rather than a video game, it's suddenly a superhero movie.
    That's how much difference the proper music makes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

FFS... I completely blocked that out when viewing it.
    Amazing how the whole portent of a scene can change simply by applying a musical tweak: now rather than a video game, it's suddenly a superhero movie.
    That's how much difference the proper music makes.

punk

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Martijn wrote
    I'd like to see someone do a Rahman version as well! Wouldn't it be cool to see Iron Man BHANGRAAAAAAaaaaaaaa... well...maybe not. shame

FWIW, a fan-made clip of Spiderman-2 set to music from an early 90s work by Rahman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aDsXVlrp1M

bhangra
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Good work Eric, you understand easily enough which music can work with which scene smile

Thomas Glorieux wrote

I don't think so. If it's in the Transformers 2 thread then no. I don't look in there.

-Erik-

man of man wink

Here is it, wouldn't want you to go crazy because you have to check the Transformers II topic now would ya wink

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php? … M252Wmc9PQ
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BhelPuri wrote
    FWIW, a fan-made clip of Spiderman-2 set to music from an early 90s work by Rahman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aDsXVlrp1M

This is like one of those Maxibon icecreams that just seem glued together.
    It just doesn't work at all. What was the point in that? slant

(Thanks for even trying though, BhelPuri. wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

man of man wink

Here is it, wouldn't want you to go crazy because you have to check the Transformers II topic now would ya wink

https://www.yousendit.com/download/UmNM … M252Wmc9PQ

one hundred some odd posts unread and counting! wink

PS - Fix the link!

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

man of man wink

PS - Fix the link!

-Erik-

it's fixed, now check it tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Martijn wrote
    This is like one of those Maxibon icecreams that just seem glued together.
    It just doesn't work at all. What was the point in that? slant

(Thanks for even trying though, BhelPuri. wink )

cheesy
    Oh, it wasn't for the match of music to image. Just for a hint for what it would sound like if he did it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, but I was hoping for tabla madness.
    I'm so disappointed. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

man of man wink

PS - Fix the link!

-Erik-

Pretty cool! I would have loved to have heard the classic transform sound effect from the TV show slowed down at the end when the title "Revenge something or other" fades in.

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

man of man wink

PS - Fix the link!

-Erik-

Pretty cool! I would have loved to have heard the classic transform sound effect from the TV show slowed down at the end when the title "Revenge something or other" fades in.

-Erik-

Glad you liked it, of course I'm stuck to the course of the original trailer, let me have all the freedom these trailer guys receive, and I can perfect it to the bone, but I'm pretty proud of the result

But as said, you good too man wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We should get something implemented where you can't quote deeper than two sublayers... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    With all these great clips from Erik of matching up good music to films, I thought it might be fun to put together something which matches so badly, the laughter is enough to make your sides hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCK0AQ4tYYU
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    ^^

biggrin cheesy
  7. Southall wrote
    With all these great clips from Erik of matching up good music to films, I thought it might be fun to put together something which matches so badly, the laughter is enough to make your sides hurt.

Actually you picked the only scene where the score works lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've been watching the Hammer noir series of the 50's and while some of them have proven to be interesting SCOTLAND YARD INSPECTOR was in a word terrible. Cesar Romero, who played the joker in the Batman television show, along with Lois Maxwell from the early James Bond films starred in this 1952 film. The film music was from a composer Ivor Slaney who I own nothing from but was performed by the London Philharmonic. And to answer the question of a future soundtrack release it is no. This film should remain forever buried wherever films go along with the score.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin

Oh man, what a boring and stupid movie that was.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There was one thing cute about the film. Romero made up a Dusseldorf Detonator, some sort of a cocktail that was a bit humorous.
    listen to more classical music!
  8. BhelPuri wrote
    Birth

Really liked the premise of the film and found it to be an interesting watch. Nicole Kidman shines like never before. Desplat's score is the high point of the film for me. Gorgeous opening scene ('Prologue') and another lengthy scene at a concert where the focus is only on Kidman. Perhaps this is the kind of music he needs to do to win an Oscar-- give them something big instead of being subtle.

I liked the premise of the film, but to me the end of the journey determines a lot of what I feel about the film, and despite the sublime final minutes of the film, the ending of BIRTH let me very unsatisfied. But the score! What a score! smile

Recently viewed... W (Oliver Stone). Ok - Stone pitched this one in the right territory. There's a lightness to this film that works a lot better than the apocalyptic tone of NIXON would have. Josh Brolin makes for a great George W Bush, and most of his team - from Dreyfuss as Cheney to Scott Glenn as Rumsfeld - are very well cast. The problem with the film is that it doesn't really have a strong sense of narrative drive about it, it ends up playing father/mother/lover/brother flashback games (when NONE were needed), and it doesn't really find a good ending to the story.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote

Actually you picked the only scene where the score works lol

I love the scene, too! And I enjoyed the movie as well.

-Erik-