• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Outlander

The 13th Warrior meets Predator......with less budget. Pure fun and totally unpretentious, with Geoff Zanelli composing his particular King Arthur.

I'm looking forward to hearing this one on CD - now that SAE actually have some copies in store and should start shipping soon.

The music is good, in a Remote Control way of course. I mean a brassy main theme and loads of RC-isms. You are warned wink
    I´ve enjoyed it though, and looking forward to hearing it on CD too.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. I like all the "RC-isms" - in fact, I'm expecting them. lick
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I like all the "RC-isms" - in fact, I'm expecting them. lick

Then you´ll like it! Actually, besides the main theme, there´s a beautiful secondary theme really worthwhile.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KUNG FU HUSTLE

Raving bonkers elephant! dizzy

Loved it! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    WALL-E

Loved every bit of it, one of those heartfelt movies that make you feel like a kid again; i certainly enjoyed it more than Ratatouille and i thought it was a very unique movie in all terms. The score works wonders and it has some very touching moments but overall i can't see why people keep putting it up there with the man's greatest.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    WALL-E

Loved every bit of it, one of those heartfelt movies that make you feel like a kid again; i certainly enjoyed it more than Ratatouille and i thought it was a very unique movie in all terms. The score works wonders and it has some very touching moments but overall i can't see why people keep putting it up there with the man's greatest.

Glad you enjoyed it. Some people just don't get how wonderful this film is and end up calling it crap... as I sometimes say, some opinions are just wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009 edited
    Oh those opinions ARE definitely wrong. How do they justify such junk? I tell you, i can't remember the amount of times i was just about to start crying like a baby during that film...very, very emotional, honest and touching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2009
    The first half is sensational filmmaking. I thought it lost its way a bit after they reached the Axiom, but only a bit. Best score of the year - should have won Newman his first Oscar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He should have won it about 12 years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There was more competition back then though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    The first half is sensational filmmaking. I thought it lost its way a bit after they reached the Axiom, but only a bit. Best score of the year - should have won Newman his first Oscar.

Yup, yup and YUP!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Just saw: CHE: Part 1

Brilliant filmmaking and, judging by this first part (not having seen part 2 yet) this will probably turn out to be Soderberghs masterpiece. I'm really impressed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Revolver (2005)

Guy Ritchie movie starring Jason Statham. Lots of style but very little content. Confusing. Something about ego. Were some of the characters real or were they a figment of his imagination? Don't know.
  2. Timmer wrote
    KUNG FU HUSTLE

Raving bonkers elephant! dizzy

Loved it! biggrin

Yep, a great over the top movie, cool effects and a Stephen Wong excellence

it is as good as Shaolin Soccer smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    BhelPuri wrote
    Revolver (2005)

Guy Ritchie movie starring Jason Statham. Lots of style but very little content. Confusing. Something about ego. Were some of the characters real or were they a figment of his imagination? Don't know.

Erm... I'd sooner accuse the film of too much content; Ritchie kept adding layer over layer on this one, since he developed the script over too long a period. See it again. You'll see, ultimately it starts making sense. The first viewing is just for the style (that's why he over-stylised it; he doesn't expect you to grasp the plot right away. so at least you've got something to see the first time around). That doesn't take away that it's a pretty pretentious project, but I admire his balls (which can't be said of the mercy-project that followed, RocknRolla).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    BobdH wrote
    Erm... I'd sooner accuse the film of too much content

Ah yes, I should have said coherent content. I know it probably needs multiple viewings for one to get it, but I don't think I'll do that for a Guy Ritchie movie. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009
    Let The Right One In
    Excellent Swedish thriller from 2008. Perhaps everyone on this site is familiar with it thanks to the score released on MovieScoreMedia. Go watch it!
    Eli's theme and the end credits are just fabulous! I will have to decide between getting the cd or MP3. Thanks Mikael for releasing this one!.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009
    BhelPuri wrote
    Let The Right One In
    Excellent Swedish thriller from 2008. Perhaps everyone on this site is familiar with it thanks to the score released on MovieScoreMedia. Go watch it!
    Eli's theme and the end credits are just fabulous! I will have to decide between getting the cd or MP3. Thanks Mikael for releasing this one!.

Couldn't agree more. That movie is simply stunning and the score is beautiful. Anxiously awaiting my copy from SAE. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009
    I'm going through a series of 50's Hammer noir material right now. Heat Wave starring Hillary Brooke who co-starred in two Holmes films is a good black widow.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2009
    Ils (Them)
    A 2006 French film. Spooky! It's only 76 minutes but it had me creeped out most of the time. Very effective horror flick without gore or gimmicks. A young couple are trapped in their house and there are some mysterious people out to get them!
    The setting (old fashioned house isolated from the city), sound effects and score all combine to provide a experience that gives the chills! Based on a true story!
    I'm guessing this might have inspired The Strangers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2009
    Cyrano de Bergerac

Fantastic, fantastic film! Charming and moving love story. Gerard Depardieu is magnificient as Cyrano-- the poet, dramatist and soldier. Yet another Jean-Paul Rappeneau (Bon Voyage) film that I love.
    Jean-Claude Petit's score is lovely. I did read later that for some cues he was inspired by Elfman's Batman theme though I didn't spot it when watching the movie.
  3. Yellowstone

BBC2 started a 3-part documentary on Yellowstone National Park this evening. Some great images - this episode concentrated on winter and it looked stunning.

Edmund Butt's score for the series certainly had it's moments and I look forward to hearing more next week.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2009
    ELEPHANT MAN (David Lynch, Anthony Hopkins)

Watched it for the first time. Instantly felt why this is considered a masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote

Watched it for the first time. Instantly felt why this is considered a masterpiece.

Classic indeed! Wasn't this one of the earliest movies to use Barber's Adagio for strings? Before it became all cliche.
    And there's a brilliant, sad, waltz-like theme for the Elephant man.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Classic indeed! Wasn't this one of the earliest movies to use Barber's Adagio for strings? Before it became all cliche.
    And there's a brilliant, sad, waltz-like theme for the Elephant man.

I can't think of an earlier use of 'Adagio'?

It's a lovely and heartbreaking film even if it isn't very accurate.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm going to watch Max and Helen as part of my research for the soundtrack review I'm working on
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BhelPuri wrote
    Cyrano de Bergerac

Fantastic, fantastic film!

Isn't it, though? love
    I find Depardieu really excels in this sort of drama (though I still have to see him in a role I don't think is any good).

RV: Slumdog Millionaire
    Though quite universally hailed as a "feel-good film", this lovely film does have some very dark edges.

The plot -the reason why Jamal knows the answers on the quiz show- is a bit convoluted, but it's done with a lot of attention to detail and care so I really don't want to carp. The acting is very good and Freida Pinto (Lakita) is lovely (though not Brazilian as I first thought when I saw the name dizzy )!
    The songs -while not Oscar worthy- are completely fitting with the images and enhance the mood greatly. A very enjoyable soundtrack indeed.

It's not a brilliant film and hasn't changed my life in any way, but it was entertaining, alternately beautiful and horrible, and interesting throughout.

Quantum Of Solace
    What the hell was this all about? A pretty generic revenge film without any plot to speak of.
    Well, not any interesting plot to speak of at any rate.

Craig is gruffly mumbling his way through the coldest Bond performance to date (it's not bad. It IS however extremely unlikeable). There are some good set pieces. The action sequences are shot incoherently, confusingly and chaotic. I rarely got what was happening, but then I didn't care much either.
    Olga Maffiamollenski does a surprisingly good Latina, though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2009 edited
    Didn't like it either, at all.

But latino women do certain thing surprisingly good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Martijn wrote
    RV: Slumdog Millionaire
    Quantum Of Solace

Quite agree with your comments on those two.
    I'll only differ in that I don't see what the fuss is about Freida Pinto. She has just the average Indian girl looks.

Saw last night...
    Le Cercle Rouge (The Red Circle)
    Ultra cool 1970s heist movie! Starring Alain Delon, Gian Maria Volonte and Yves Montand. Very well etched out characters. It's amazing how the heist scene had no dialogue or music but was top edge-of-the-seat stuff!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Didn't like it either, at all.

But latino women do certain thing surprisingly good.

Haven't seen it yet. To be honest I'm not keen on Craig as bond, too dry and humourless. Hell, he doesn't even look English.