• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Driving Miss Daisy!?? shocked cheesy haha. I guess it would have been a kick in the teeth if no referrence was made to the man scoring the film wink

yep, and he mentions "Hans" right after that, if that isn't a nod to the man himself I don't know what is wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Driving Miss Daisy!?? shocked cheesy haha. I guess it would have been a kick in the teeth if no referrence was made to the man scoring the film wink

yep, and he mentions "Hans" right after that, if that isn't a nod to the man himself I don't know what is wink

I thought it's interesting that he didn't say his last name... I guess it was intended to make the inside joke less obvious? Or maybe the character was written as an RC guy tongue wink

I went to seeing The Holiday just because I loved the score so much, but I enjoyed much more than I had expected. It's a nice feel-good film even with a lot of corny stuff. Better than Something's Gotta Give anyway...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    I play it to them using speakers or on a piano.

It's not as recognisable as Jaws, definitely probably not, but people do recognise Pirates - whether film music geeks think it's worthy of recognition or not.

I remain sceptical that the average man in the street would really recognise it, to be honest. Nothing to do with whether it's worthy of recognition (I think it's a really catchy, fun theme) - I just doubt they would - at least, not in the same way as the average man would identify Star Wars or Jaws or Indiana Jones or Star Trek or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly or The Pink Panther or The Great Escape.

I don't imagine it's quite at that level, but I certainly have a hunch it's Zimmer's most famous tune. Most people of MY age group tend to know it, that's all I can say.

I love to do or see a survey on this! It would certainly prove enlightening.

I didn't do any survey but at least I can say it's popular here in Japan, especially among young people. Now He's A Pirate seems to be one of the most frequently-played repertoires in school brass bands along with Ghibli and Disney medley biggrin

Also one of my classmates used it as her cellphone ringtone, and another own the soundtrack even she isn't a film music fan...

Honestly I'm not a fan of the theme. I wish any of other better themes by Zimmer should have been his "most-recognized theme" (Love Theme from PotC3 or Father's Theme from The Lion King for example)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Being in a university environment, I live in a somewhat different culture to "The Real World", so to speak. But I do have a hunch that a lot of people can recognise the Pirates theme a lot more than James realises. (Plus it is very memorable.)
  2. Miya wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote

I thought it's interesting that he didn't say his last name... I guess it was intended to make the inside joke less obvious? Or maybe the character was written as an RC guy tongue wink

I went to seeing The Holiday just because I loved the score so much, but I enjoyed much more than I had expected. It's a nice feel-good film even with a lot of corny stuff. Better than Something's Gotta Give anyway...

yep, this was an inside joke for the fans, as how it should be wink

same about the movie/score, never expected I would love them so much, good movie, good score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Being in a university environment, I live in a somewhat different culture to "The Real World", so to speak. But I do have a hunch that a lot of people can recognise the Pirates theme a lot more than James realises. (Plus it is very memorable.)

It's tough putting that to the test!? The true test is whether it'll have the longevity of the likes of classic Bond, Star Wars, The Pink Panther, Great Escape etc.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I was a wee toddler when that show was made, so obviously I have no idea what you're talking about.

It is with a heavy heart and deep regret that I have to inform you that GOING FOR GOLD is alive and well daily with that very same Zimmer theme tune.

The good news is that it's on Channel 5 so no one watches it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

It's not as recognisable as Jaws, definitely probably not, but people do recognise Pirates - whether film music geeks think it's worthy of recognition or not.

I remain sceptical that the average man in the street would really recognise it, to be honest. Nothing to do with whether it's worthy of recognition (I think it's a really catchy, fun theme) - I just doubt they would - at least, not in the same way as the average man would identify Star Wars or Jaws or Indiana Jones or Star Trek or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly or The Pink Panther or The Great Escape.

Just admit they do and get over it wink It's the truth, most youngsters will recognize that instead of Star Wars and co.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

Just admit they do and get over it wink It's the truth, most youngsters will recognize that instead of Star Wars and co.

I don't believe THAT for a moment. Star Wars is a phenomenom wayyyyy beyond 'Pirates'. Films and music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

I don't believe THAT for a moment. Star Wars is a phenomenom wayyyyy beyond 'Pirates'. Films and music.

Well, can you recognize and appreciate the cultural and social differences between you, me and the youngsters of today?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009 edited
    Blow Dry
    The national hair dressing competition comes to town. Alan Rickman and Natasha Richardson team up one last time to take part after a broken marriage. Another of those charming Brit drama/comedies! Also starring Rachel Griffiths and Heidi Klum.
    Patrick Doyle's score is modest for most parts-- synths and some quirky themes. But there's a lush string theme he has at the end which is a beauty. I. Must. Get. It.
    The score has not been released although some of the MP3 sites seem to have some version of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2009
    MR AND MRS SMITH is playing on TV right now.....

my GOD this is unbearably bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

I enjoyed it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

No...it's flawed, but enjoyable (like Jumper and Hancock). You wait until they destroy the house. wink biggrin

I'll have to add this to my blockbuster rental list as I haven't seen it in ages. (I've got the DVD, but I want to get use out of my Blu-ray player, but without paying £20 a film.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2009 edited
    I liked Mr. & Mrs. Smith during the first half; an entertaining spoof on mariage and American living. During the second half, though, they ran out of ideas, giving way to a downright boring final act. It's not too bad, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I enjoyed it.

-Erik-

Me too. I thought Jolie and Pitt had great chemistry, and I loved the whole marriage spin on an action film.
  3. Great chemistry, that's an understatement. How many kids they've got now? bunny
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009
    Well, most of them aren't really theirs are they? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

I was talking about people who have brains.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

I was talking about people who have brains.

D didn't take into account that you said "the average man" which makes it a far wider spectrum.

Anyway, I just watched BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA ( and not for the first time ) and what a cheesy hilarious but fantastic fun film it is cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, most of them aren't really theirs are they? wink

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Satellite In The Sky (1956) was a film which had a lot of documentary footage of the British and there attempt at space. It also featured Lois Maxwell (miss moneypenny).
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    Satellite In The Sky (1956) was a film which had a lot of documentary footage of the British and there attempt at space. It also featured Lois Maxwell (miss moneypenny).

Oh by the way you don't have to waste your time watching it
  4. Timmer wrote
    Anyway, I just watched BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA ( and not for the first time ) and what a cheesy hilarious but fantastic fun film it is cool

Everyone involved sure was in their best form when making this. You can just see the enjoyment dripping from the actors' faces. Carpenter sure went all aboard on this one. Agghhh... the 80s... when movies were still about the fun.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009 edited
    The Deceivers
    Based on a true story about the thuggee cult in India (c. 1800). The cult members or thugs (and hence the origin of the word) murdered and stole from travelers after accompanying them on their journey. Pierce Brosnan stars as a British officer who infiltrates the cult and helps bring it to an end.

John Scott's score is lovely! The opening titles with title design by Maurice Binder are fantastic.
    *I must now think of a GTS game that would be appropriate for this*
    I think I bought this score first after seeing an FSM post-- there's a sequence where a nawab and his group are being entertained with dance and music (that faux Indian music which the West often resorts to). Scott adds tension gradually with the orchestra until the music reaches a terrifying crescendo for the murderous rampage that occurs. Awesome!

I do not understand why Scott did not go on to get high-profile projects like Goldsmith or Williams. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BhelPuri wrote
    I do not understand why Scott did not go on to get high-profile projects like Goldsmith or Williams. sad

Indeed. A true shame.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Everyone involved sure was in their best form when making this. You can just see the enjoyment dripping from the actors' faces. Carpenter sure went all aboard on this one. Agghhh... the 80s... when movies were still about the fun.

Good point Gilles, all involved do indeed seem to be having a right old hoot when making this biggrin Very infectious and one of those films I can watch many times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009
    Tonight it will be The Charge of the Light Brigade
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009
    Outlander

The 13th Warrior meets Predator......with less budget. Pure fun and totally unpretentious, with Geoff Zanelli composing his particular King Arthur.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  5. Marselus wrote
    Outlander

The 13th Warrior meets Predator......with less budget. Pure fun and totally unpretentious, with Geoff Zanelli composing his particular King Arthur.

I'm looking forward to hearing this one on CD - now that SAE actually have some copies in store and should start shipping soon.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn