• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009
    I watched "Tarantula" with music by Mancini and others last night. This was another of the low budget films of the 50's from Universal.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009
    But WHAT an execution!
    One of the best Big Nuclear Monster movies out there, and a classic in its genre and period.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I watched "Tarantula" with music by Mancini and others last night. This was another of the low budget films of the 50's from Universal.
    Thomas

Did you spot Clint Eastwood!? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2009
    I'm on to yet another campy John Agar flic called Mole People.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Did you spot Clint Eastwood!? wink

It's not a joke. One of Clint's earliest and un-credited appearances, he's one of the fighter pilots bombing the giant spider.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Watched SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE today and totally enjoyed it. It does use a typical Bollywood formula of boy meets girl, boy and girl are separated by very bad people, boy and girl grow up etc ( no spoilers here ).

Oh yeah, and I LOVED the music cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2009 edited
    Watching Andrew Marr's History of Modern Britain and they're totally using John Williams' Dracula (among lots of other scores). I needed to share that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    He is hard to miss Tim. He got his start with bit parts like many did
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Mole People is really stupid. Avoid at all costs
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote
    Watched SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE today and totally enjoyed it. It does use a typical Bollywood formula of boy meets girl, boy and girl are separated by very bad people, boy and girl grow up etc ( no spoilers here ).

Oh yeah, and I LOVED the music cool

Cool!

Saw last night...

Les Poupees Russes (Russian Dolls)
    This one is the sequel to the awesome film- L'Auberge Espagnole. There's no way it can stand up to the first film but this one is rather nice. All the characters have gone on to do their own things and here we focus on two of them-- Romain Duris and the incredibly gorgeous Kelly Reilly. kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2009
    The Holiday
    This was a decent flick. A house swap by the two female characters (Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz) leads to them finding love. An enjoyable score by Zimmer even if he's inspired a lot by Morricone. Jack Black plays a film composer and us fans will probably dig the scene where he hums and talks about famous themes. Cameron Diaz is irritating and looks as old as the mountains. Eli Wallach was a nice surprise. Jack Black played the piano as well as any Bollywood actor tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2009
    An early Monogram series called Mr. Wong with Boris Karloff as a Chinese detective? A bit hard for me to swallow given the other roles he has played over the years.
  1. BhelPuri wrote
    The Holiday
    This was a decent flick. A house swap by the two female characters (Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz) leads to them finding love. An enjoyable score by Zimmer even if he's inspired a lot by Morricone. Jack Black plays a film composer and us fans will probably dig the scene where he hums and talks about famous themes. Cameron Diaz is irritating and looks as old as the mountains. Eli Wallach was a nice surprise. Jack Black played the piano as well as any Bollywood actor tongue

Eli Wallach is the real star alongside Kate Winslet and Jack Black, I did like Diaz and Law's chemistry together, though I loved Winslet and Black's romance more

but Eli Wallach has given the movie a depth that elevated it entirely
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    The Holiday

Eli Wallach is the real star alongside Kate Winslet and Jack Black, I did like Diaz and Law's chemistry together, though I loved Winslet and Black's romance more

What themes does Black hum and talk about?
  2. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    The Holiday

What themes does Black hum and talk about?

Chariots of Fire, Driving Miss Daisy, Gone with the Wind I think, Jaws and he plays the Indiana Jones theme on piano, which is magical

such a cool thing having a film composer in a movie
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Driving Miss Daisy!?? shocked cheesy haha. I guess it would have been a kick in the teeth if no referrence was made to the man scoring the film wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Driving Miss Daisy!?? shocked cheesy haha. I guess it would have been a kick in the teeth if no referrence was made to the man scoring the film wink

It ain't exactly Chariots of Fire, Gone with the Wind or Jaws in terms of public recognition, I wouldn't have thought! (Though I don't suppose any Zimmer theme is, now I think about it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

It ain't exactly Chariots of Fire, Gone with the Wind or Jaws in terms of public recognition, I wouldn't have thought! (Though I don't suppose any Zimmer theme is, now I think about it.)

I think his Pirates of the Caribbean theme is pretty famous. In my experience I've found most people almost instantly recognise it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

I think his Pirates of the Caribbean theme is pretty famous. In my experience I've found most people almost instantly recognise it.

I'm trying to imagine what circumstances you may have met people and been able to determine that they could instantly recognise the theme from Pirates of the Caribbean!

I'd say it's his most likely theme to be recognised, but probably not quite in the Jaws league!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I play it to them using speakers or on a piano.

It's not as recognisable as Jaws, definitely probably not, but people do recognise Pirates - whether film music geeks think it's worthy of recognition or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote

It's not as recognisable as Jaws, definitely probably not, but people do recognise Pirates - whether film music geeks think it's worthy of recognition or not.

I remain sceptical that the average man in the street would really recognise it, to be honest. Nothing to do with whether it's worthy of recognition (I think it's a really catchy, fun theme) - I just doubt they would - at least, not in the same way as the average man would identify Star Wars or Jaws or Indiana Jones or Star Trek or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly or The Pink Panther or The Great Escape.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote

What is the POTC theme? Which cue? Is it the da-da da-da-da-da da-da-da-da da-da-duh-da one?
  3. He's a Pirate.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. And I think you just defined the stereotype MV theme bunny
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

I remain sceptical that the average man in the street would really recognise it, to be honest. Nothing to do with whether it's worthy of recognition (I think it's a really catchy, fun theme) - I just doubt they would - at least, not in the same way as the average man would identify Star Wars or Jaws or Indiana Jones or Star Trek or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly or The Pink Panther or The Great Escape.

I don't imagine it's quite at that level, but I certainly have a hunch it's Zimmer's most famous tune. Most people of MY age group tend to know it, that's all I can say.

I love to do or see a survey on this! It would certainly prove enlightening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

I don't imagine it's quite at that level, but I certainly have a hunch it's Zimmer's most famous tune. Most people of MY age group tend to know it, that's all I can say.

I've no doubt it's Zimmer's most famous tune. Can't think of anything else which would even be a candidate, to be honest. Maybe the Lisa Gerrard stuff in Gladiator, but I guess he may not have written that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    True. I actually struggled to think of a "famous Zimmer tune".... then the most obvious one came to mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    True. I actually struggled to think of a "famous Zimmer tune".... then the most obvious one came to mind.

Going for Gold?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

Going for Gold?

Hahaha biggrin applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009 edited
    I was a wee toddler when that show was made, so obviously I have no idea what you're talking about.