• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2009
    Steven wrote
    Papillon

Not sure what else to say other than what a film! shocked

McQueen's performance is brilliant. The music is brilliant. The film is brilliant.

Love it.

Great end credits with that music.....superb.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Death Proof

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Damn, I love how Tarantino does surprises me every time with just the most insane story build-ups and outright fantastic twists. I admit I did not know the slightest info about this, other than that it starred Kurt Russell, but it didn't look all that interesting to me when it released. Until yesterday that changed: this movie had me in complete awe (especially the end). I will not spoil it here, but when you don't expect a movie to be anything resembling decent, and it actually is waaaaay better than decent, those are the most fun you can have with and are the ones that stick in your head for how original they are. And the way Tarantino makes characters talk about the most mundane things in the most interesting ways is pure unmistakable talent and vision. I will never doubt this man again.

I loved it too!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Papillon

Not sure what else to say other than what a film! shocked

McQueen's performance is brilliant. The music is brilliant. The film is brilliant.

...It doesn't seem to get much love from the critics though...

Who are they and where do they live?

Australia.

Hey! Just because I don't think it's the best film ever made! tongue (I never said I didn't like it.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Shut up.
    You like Marienbad.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    Shut up.
    You like Marienbad.

You may win the battle, but noone wins this war.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A movie such as "Dark Knight" is too expensive to make so the # of films are limited in this area.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ah, just found out Pale Rider is on TV.....bye.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Ah, just found out Pale Rider is on TV.....bye.

I plan on overtaking your total number of posts by the time you return.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2009
    that would be impossible
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    that would be impossible

Nothing is impossible Tom.

....except time travel, intergalactic space travel, and turning Justin Boggin into an award winning film composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And the Academy actually recognizing a quality score for an Oscar. Well, at least lately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    that would be impossible

Nothing is impossible Tom.

....except time travel,

LOST did it.

and turning Justin Boggin into an award winning film composer.

Santaolalla and Rahman did it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

Jeez D, get over it. A.R. Rahman's got better compositional chops than a great number of people who write Hollywood film music, most certainly including your beloved Mr Zimmer. Whatever the rights or wrongs of his Oscar win, this continual sniping is truly tiresome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Jeez D, get over it. A.R. Rahman's got better compositional chops than a great number of people who write Hollywood film music, most certainly including your beloved Mr Zimmer.

Yeah....Jai Ho rolleyes
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Jeez D, get over it. A.R. Rahman's got better compositional chops than a great number of people who write Hollywood film music, most certainly including your beloved Mr Zimmer.

Yeah....Jai Ho rolleyes

OK then, shall we judge Hans Zimmer's entire, extremely successful career, on the track "Thunderise!" from Thunderbirds?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mkayyyy....
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yeah....Jai Ho rolleyes

OK then, shall we judge Hans Zimmer's entire, extremely successful career, on the track "Thunderise!" from Thunderbirds?

No, but are you really serious saying Rahmanannana is better composer than Zimmer or a great number of people who write music in Hollywood today? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nah, nobody's that naive wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm pretty sure there's LOADS of Indians who think Rahman is the dog's bollocks and who have never even heard of Zimmer... and with a population of over 1 billion people in India now, the odds that Rahman is by sheer numbers by FAR the more popular and acclaimed film composer isn't all that far fetched...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, and BHANGRAAAAAAAAAAAAA !
    bounce
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall...is.....INDIAN?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2009 edited
    No, but he does eat curry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And loves goats.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The proof is in the pundjab!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    I'm pretty sure there's LOADS of Indians who think Rahman is the dog's bollocks and who have never even heard of Zimmer... and with a population of over 1 billion people in India now, the odds that Rahman is by sheer numbers by FAR the more popular and acclaimed film composer isn't all that far fetched...

I agree, but James wasn´t talking about popularity, he was talking about quality, and not only regarding Zimmer (we all know the simpliest thing is an excuse to attack Hans) but "a great number of people who write Hollywood film music".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I can't believe this seriously is flowing into a Zimmer vs. Rahman discussion.
    biggrin

No matter.
    I think the quality and consistency of Israeli oranges is consistently SO much better than that of Spanish windmills!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Martijn wrote

I agree, but James wasn´t talking about popularity, he was talking about quality, and not only regarding Zimmer (we all know the simpliest thing is an excuse to attack Hans) but "a great number of people who write Hollywood film music".

Indeed. I've only heard a small amount of Rahman's stuff so sadly my point may be unfair. I should clarify that I was talking about pure compositional ability which of course is not the same as being a good film composer, which needs a lot more (I've only ever seen one Rahman-scored film, and while that featured a perfect score which NO Hollywood composer could have bettered, let alone a dramatic compositional non-entity like Zimmer, I'm not so daft as to extrapolate from a single film, which was clearly well-suited to him in particular). If ARR gets some more western films to score then I may be able to make my point with more conviction - or it may prove that I'm wrong!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Rahman did a lot of stuff, he's not like he's the new kid on the block with a promising career we should all support and not criticize. All i've heard sounds bad to my ears and the biggest disappointment was Elizabeth: The Golden Age.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2009 edited
    Slumdog Millionare

I'm the only one who doesn't like this movie???? It irritated me. (Not so much as Southall reviews from Horner and Newman scores biggrin )

Armaggedon

Wow..Much better. One of the best action movies Ever!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Rahman did a lot of stuff, he's not like he's the new kid on the block with a promising career we should all support and not criticize. All i've heard sounds bad to my ears and the biggest disappointment was Elizabeth: The Golden Age.

That wasn't great, that's for sure. Such a shame that the film had to receive a Zimmer-type style-over-substance approach - and they removed the style!