• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009
    They're better than mine. I don't see a problem with just "it was a good movie". wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009
    Hey, he could just have said it was a "rare beauty", and then everybody would have gotten on his case over that! slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Hey, he could just have said it was a "rare beauty", and then everybody would have gotten on his case over that! slant

I'm shocked that it wasn't included in his review.

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Naked City tonight
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE WRESTLER

A brutally realistic and powerful tale of human life with one of a time performance by Mickey Rourke. A shocking, heart-wrenching journey down one man's life with specifics that echoe to each and every one of us simultaneously, a story told in the way only Arronofsky knows how to carry out. Extremely recommended, as one of the most though-challenging and mature cinematic journeys you'll ever take.

Good lord Demetris! Great movie but your review is oozing with vomit

Jesus Christ! You really know how to over do it!

-Erik-

biggrin Can't help it, that's how i felt when i watched it! Blame Ceiling Cat for making me sentimental. tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

You make it sound like a bad thing!? I don't want D to stop saying "a rare beauty" where he feels appropriate, it's what makes him The D biggrin cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah Thomas and I kind of dig the same stuff, though we don't always agree on the same things.

BTW I saw Ip Man and while it wasn't the action extravaganza I was expecting, it was good, just not mindblowing. Storywise, it's better than Dragon Tiger Gate, but I liked the fights a little more in that one. And SPL had some of the most insane fights, first with the blond guy who ambushes the other one, then revenge between Donnie and blondie (Wu Jing right), and to top it off, a kickass finale between Sammo Hung and Donnie Yen. OK Ip Man is something else entirely, it's more a kind of biopic, the story about Bruce Lee's mentor in his younger years, but I expected the fights to be more gut-wrenching, and less subdued, know what I mean? Or they keep all the bone-crunching body-pileups for the sequels. But I had a good time nonetheless.

Anyway if you can make it the 22nd you're more than welcome. Talk to ya later.

Oh, It seems I'm going to have to believe my brother then, no offense to you eh Eric wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

You make it sound like a bad thing!? I don't want D to stop saying "a rare beauty" where he feels appropriate, it's what makes him The D biggrin cool

beer beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Rare beauties for ALL!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah Thomas and I kind of dig the same stuff, though we don't always agree on the same things.

BTW I saw Ip Man and while it wasn't the action extravaganza I was expecting, it was good, just not mindblowing. Storywise, it's better than Dragon Tiger Gate, but I liked the fights a little more in that one. And SPL had some of the most insane fights, first with the blond guy who ambushes the other one, then revenge between Donnie and blondie (Wu Jing right), and to top it off, a kickass finale between Sammo Hung and Donnie Yen. OK Ip Man is something else entirely, it's more a kind of biopic, the story about Bruce Lee's mentor in his younger years, but I expected the fights to be more gut-wrenching, and less subdued, know what I mean? Or they keep all the bone-crunching body-pileups for the sequels. But I had a good time nonetheless.

Anyway if you can make it the 22nd you're more than welcome. Talk to ya later.

Oh, It seems I'm going to have to believe my brother then, no offense to you eh Eric wink

Yep , family comes first Thomas ... wink

I think the fight of Donnie against the 10 Japanese fighters was pretty gut-wrenching to me... or maybe I'm a big softie ... biggrin Donnie had something more to do in this one then just kick ass all the time . Though I don't mind a good ass kicking now and again ... in movies I mean ...
    What am I saying here ... rolleyes lol
    Anyway , I had a good time watching it and a good martial arts film doesn't always have to have a high body count ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Um.
    That was sorta my point. slant

RV: making a dent in the first season of the acclaimed series Heroes.
    A group of -seemingly- random people find they are gifted with mutant powers (invulnerability; stopping time; flying; etc.). The suggestion is that they may be the next step on our evolutionary ladder, but destiny, serial killers, a mysterious agency and the threat of a nuclear attack on New York is keeping them all on off-balance.

On to episode six now, and to be honest, it doesn't grab me as much as I'd hoped.
    Many series, even when the premise annoys me, keep me interested as I want to know what happens next or when i have an emotional interest in the main characters.
    This one, not so much.

It's mildly intriguing, and has some likable characters (though far too few, most are whiny or annoying), but in my opinion suffers from lack of focus (switching between characters and plot lines too quickly and easily), pretty poor dialogue and not the best direction.

I guess I'll finish out the season, but if it doesn't pick up, I don't think I'll bother with the two seasons to come.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's not as great as some say. It's no Angel or Firefly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Um.
    That was sorta my point. slant

A group of -seemingly- random people find they are gifted with mutant powers (invulnerability; stopping time; flying; etc.). The suggestion is that they may be the next step on our evolutionary ladder, but destiny, serial killers, a mysterious agency and the threat of a nuclear attack on New York is keeping them all on off-balance.

On to episode six now, and to be honest, it doesn't grab me as much as I'd hoped.
    Many series, even when the premise annoys me, keep me interested as I want to know what happens next or when i have an emotional interest in the main characters.
    This one, not so much.

It's mildly intriguing, and has some likable characters (though far too few, most are whiny or annoying), but in my opinion suffers from lack of focus (switching between characters and plot lines too quickly and easily), pretty poor dialogue and not the best direction.

I guess I'll finish out the season, but if it doesn't pick up, I don't think I'll bother with the two seasons to come.

I thought I was destined to go through life and never find another soul who thought the same way about Heroes as I do. I was mistaken.

(If season one left me a little non-plussed, then season two was just downright poor. Three, so far, is no improvement. Needless to say, I still watch every episode, as with Lost, but I really don't quite know why.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2009 edited
    Excellent special effects for a TV show, I'll give it that much. Plus there sure is some eye candy, particularly the speedster Daphne. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote

This one, not so much.

An overrated TV show. If you manage to watch until half of season one you´d have done a lot. I liked the first 6-7 episodes, but the rest of the season was a total failure (and the finale was everything but the cliffhanger it was supposed to be). No comments about season 2, totally awful. I didn´t even try to start watching season three.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Excellent special effects for a TV show, I'll give it that much. Plus there sure is some eye candy, particularly the speedster Daphne. lick

You ain't wrong there...no sirreeeee! lick beer

As for the rest of the series I can't help but agree with you all, I'm rapidly losing interest but I'll still give the 3rd season ( coming up on BBC ) a stab.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Again I don't have to comment because I've never seen "Heroes"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    sdtom wrote
    Again I don't have to comment because I've never seen "Heroes"

So why do you post "I have nothing to post"? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009
    Because I feel like I'm missing something?
  2. Not really. I tried to watch an episode, but it was too much for me already.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched "The Big Knife" and was surprised not at the story so much but some of the music cues from DeVol which just consisted of percussion. The theme sounded very much like Alex North.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Saw last night-

4 Months, 3 weeks and 2 days (4 luni, 3 saptamâni si 2 zile)

Brilliant! One of the true gems of 2007! Take a bow Romania!

This story about a student getting an illegal abortion (Romania of 1987) had me riveted from start to end. The two main characters -- the student getting the abortion, and her friend who helps her, are fantastic. Heck, everything about this movie is fantastic.

I did not find any reference to this on Maintitles. Has no one else seen it? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Joep wrote about it in his Arthouse blog.

And I was almost going to see it some months ago at a local arty cinema, but I missed it as it only played once.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Bregt wrote
    Joep wrote about it in his Arthouse blog.

And I was almost going to see it some months ago at a local arty cinema, but I missed it as it only played once.

Ah! Looks like there's no way to search the reviews and articles. Does the search function only work for the forums?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2009
    I have to really recommended "The Big Knife" to anyone who is into the older movies. You'll see Palance in a role like you've never seen before. Steiger is top notch also. And the music is one of the most unusual scores of all time.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009
    KUNG FU PANDA

A very enjoyable and entertaining movie with great visuals and cutting edge, modern animation. I didn't think it was funny, maybe not my kind of humor and / or the fact that i despise Jack Black, but still great story and character building, FUN time. My opinion on the scarce score hasn't changed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched an interesting documentary on Warner Oland (Charlie Chan) and Peter Lorre (Mr. Moto).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I have to really recommended "The Big Knife" to anyone who is into the older movies. You'll see Palance in a role like you've never seen before. Steiger is top notch also. And the music is one of the most unusual scores of all time.
    Thomas

Would like to see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HORTON HEARS A WHO

On a totally different league than KUNG FU PANDA, aimed at warmer-hearts and smaller ages it seems, still a very enjoyable and pleasing experience. The animation is top-notch, the story line is constantly moving and filled with imagination. The score's fitting but messy (which translates on CD) apart from its grand finale.