• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Cleopatra (Trevor Jones)

This is wonderful, why it took me such a long time to get this I'll never be able to say, but such a strong thematic score for a not very known TV-film should be in every score fan's collection. I always had a soft spot for Trevor Jones' thematic approach and ambient scoring (Dark City, Merlin) and Cleopatra has its share of it, but it's mostly epic stuff, with a killer main theme. 'Rome Decrees' is surely one of his most sublime compositions...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Look no further ( well, for the time being wink ) than LA RESA DEI CONTI ( aka THE BIG GUNDOWN ), it's fantastic and I can assure you Martijn agrees with me 100% on that.

101%, my dear Sir, 101%! wine wine
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Talking about Cleopatra......

NP Antony and Cleopatra (John Scott)
    As some would say, pure BLISS.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Unfortuantely I just sat through...

The International - Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, Reinhold Heil

It's almost an all electronic atmospheric noodling drum loop score! A far cry from the brilliant Purfume. At times it wants to be a Bourne score but it doesn't have the Powell flair! A really disappointing listen and most definitely NOT the high-octane score Varese is promoting.

Now I have to make a decision as to whether or not I want to play this on my show next week.

-Erik-

Never trust anything Varese says....i didn't actually think there were people who bought their crap? Other than that, it'd say it's pretty difficult to get another PERFUME from those guys soon; it was the EXCEPTION of the rule for the team, the rule being dark drone all the time for horror / thriller movies.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    i didn't actually think there were people who bought their crap?

Oh, I never "buy their crap" but I thought it was hilarious to read their PR after hearing the score to read the words High-Octane score. Far from it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2009 edited
    Signs - James Newton Howard

Back when I saw the movie the score didn't make a huge impression on me but since then I have read so many raving reviews that I finally decided to buy it (for cheap, of course...)
    I still prefer JNH's more sweeping scores but I have to admit that I loved this CD too. The final 3 tracks were worth the price of the CD alone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Event Horizon - Michael Kamen and Orbital

What a collaboration! Creepy shit! Kamen's orchestral palette and Orbital's electronics and unique sound design. What a bizarre parring but it all comes together to form one of Kamen's most original and interesting scores of his career! I'm hearing some truly unique electronic sounds... clicks, taps, processed vocals, and drum loops... are all matched wonderfully with Kamen's beautiful orchestrations. The two styles compliment each other really well in this kind of atonal score! While the tone and musical styles do change rather rapidly, which might be too jarring for most listeners, I find it a challenging but rewarding listen.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Hans Zimmer, Gavin Greenaway (additional) - The Peacemaker (Complete)

The bootleg is much better than the official release, more exciting, dramatic and some great emotional parts. And you can find out where did Hans get his Gladiator's Holst sound from.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Airplane - Alfred Newman

Softspoken, easy-listening oriented score -oddly, considering the film's subject matter- with the Romantic, lush Newman from the Golden Age shining through mostly in the wonderful main theme and the more string-oriented cues like Triangle!..
    If's a fine score, very nice and of high quality throughout, but not a classic per se.
    Probably best remembered as Newman's last rather than his best.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Event Horizon - Michael Kamen and Orbital

What a collaboration! Creepy shit! Kamen's orchestral palette and Orbital's electronics and unique sound design. What a bizarre parring but it all comes together to form one of Kamen's most original and interesting scores of his career! I'm hearing some truly unique electronic sounds... clicks, taps, processed vocals, and drum loops... are all matched wonderfully with Kamen's beautiful orchestrations. The two styles compliment each other really well in this kind of atonal score! While the tone and musical styles do change rather rapidly, which might be too jarring for most listeners, I find it a challenging but rewarding listen.

-Erik-

I was backstage with Orbital one time and I got my camera out and said to Phil Hartnoll ( one half of the pair ) if he'd mind taking a photo, he said "sure", stood up waiting to be posed with, then looked a bit flumoxed when I handed him the camera to take a picture of Me & Melanie wink Anyway, really nice blokes with a fine knowledge of film music which I brought up as I'd seen an interview where they mentioned they were fans of John Barry.

p.s. Totally agree with you on Event Horizon, I hated it at first but find a lot of enjoyment in it now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. NP: Airplane - Alfred Newman

Softspoken, easy-listening oriented score -oddly, considering the film's subject matter- with the Romantic, lush Newman from the Golden Age shining through mostly in the wonderful main theme and the more string-oriented cues like Triangle!..
    If's a fine score, very nice and of high quality throughout, but not a classic per se.
    Probably best remembered as Newman's last rather than his best.

You mean Airport?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    You mean Airport?

Don't call him Shirley!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up mocking Martijn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer, Gavin Greenaway (additional) - The Peacemaker (Complete)

The bootleg is much better than the official release, more exciting, dramatic and some great emotional parts. And you can find out where did Hans get his Gladiator's Holst sound from.

Indeed. Still one of Zimmer best action scores.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    NP: Airplane - Alfred Newman

You mean Airport?

No I'm trying to cut down on port.

(Yeah, I did... shame )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    ..., then looked a bit flumoxed when I handed him the camera to take a picture of Me & Melanie wink .

lol

Excellent gag!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    You mean Airport?

Don't call him Shirley!

Save that for Dame Bassey, who did such an excellent job on Moonraker (rather than dreamscreecher Bush... vomit )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    You mean Airport?

Don't call him Shirley!

Save that for Dame Bassey, who did such an excellent job on Moonraker (rather than dreamscreecher Bush... vomit )

But....but..... sad cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    You mean Airport?

Don't call him Shirley!

George Bush sang Moonraker?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Someone wrote
    [something inconsequential]

Looks like I've picked the right week to start ignoring Southall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Event Horizon ended far too quickly. I could have used more... really good score!

NP: The Matrix Reloaded - Don Davis

The techno/orchestral mix of Event Horizon had me thinking of this fine sequel score. I'm playing the commercial album with the unused "Chateau Swashbuckling" cue from the complete promo. I've also cut down the "Reloaded Suite" to get to the juicy "Neo Miraculous" portion. Basically the last 5 and half minutes! Davis really lets the love theme shine in that cue! IMHO, the three Matrix scores are modern day classics!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    NP: Bite the Bullet - Alex North

First Listen.

Great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Rio Conchos - Jerry Goldsmith

An under appreciated Goldsmith western... I think. Don't hear much about it. I'm playing the fabulous re-recording from Intrada Records featuring the London Symphony Orchestra!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Rio Conchos - Jerry Goldsmith

An under appreciated Goldsmith western... I think. Don't hear much about it. I'm playing the fabulous re-recording from Intrada Records featuring the London Symphony Orchestra!

-Erik-

To use a well-used film music cliche, it has an absolutely soaring main theme! I love that score, and I love that re-recording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Valkyrie - John Ottman

YAWN. YAWN. YAWN. Is it over soon? Do I really have to spend Friday night writing a review of this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Valkyrie - John Ottman

YAWN. YAWN. YAWN. Is it over soon? Do I really have to spend Friday night writing a review of this?

Yet you managed to write one for Benjamin Button... wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : COLUMBO : RANSOM FOR A DEAD MAN - Billy Goldenberg

Superb TV score for the disheveled detective, such a tiny amount of Goldenberg's superb scores has ever seen the light of day, I can only hope that one day this B**t will one day get the official release it so richly deserves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Walk on the Wild Side - Elmer Bernstein

Absolutely great.
  4. "The Greast Escpae"
    Elmer Bernstein

If only Varese had pressed more of their 2CD set so others could obtain the original recording. Just a wonderful march, good themes, and just making me miss Bernstein more.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

Great!

:jerry: