• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    Puny amateurs.
    You are unfit to stand in my Dark Shadow.

I have thrown away more Star Wars merchandise than several collectors could amass together (true, sadly: a deadly combination of mice and humidity has pretty much destroyed a many-multi-thousand dollars worth of collection of toys from as far back as 1977.)

I collected all of the books until they killed Chewie, which was pretty much the end of "my" Star Wars, so I never got into the yuuzhan vong or the New Jedi Order. I loved the way West End Games, who had picked up the role playing franchise back in the late eighties, created a whole Universe of backstories that were picked up right to the minute detail by Bantam Publishing in the books (and to a lesser extend by Dark Horse Publishing who held and still holds the comics license).

Things dropped off though since Phantom Menace: it wasn't the film but the cataclysmic merchandise hoopla ("NOW! Special Edition Darth Maul Action figure! It's EXACTLY the same as the one we issued last week, except you can actually tear this one in two for AUTHENTIC light saber damage action!") that finally rung the death knell on my collection frenzy.
    Then the books stopped (like I said: they killed Chewie... angry).
    The only thing I'm still diligently buying are the comics and anything music-related.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    It's true that Chewie was a hard blow, but I really applaud them for being so ballsy. I personally look forward to the mythical deaths that such characters like Han Solo and Luke Skywalker are bound to get at some point or another. But if Chewie was too dark for you, it might be just as well that you stopped: Chewie is only the beginning. NJO only gets darker and darker as it drags on ("drags out", even, to an extent). It's a very harsh series.

But don't forget that plenty of other pre-NJO books are always coming out. You haven't been drawn toward the Clone War-era novels at all? These books truly make the prequel movies shine in a new light. And Cloak of Deception is the best thing under the Tatooine suns if you like mad Palpatine schemings. He butt-rapes EVERYONE in that book.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    HeeroJF wrote
    It's true that Chewie was a hard blow...

There's a little guy dressed in white on my right shoulder telling me something very different to the little guy dressed in red on my left shoulder.

I shall listen to the right shouldered guy and remain silent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    It's true that Chewie was a hard blow...

There's a little guy dressed in white on my right shoulder telling me something very different to the little guy dressed in red on my left shoulder.

I shall listen to the right shouldered guy and remain silent.

May as well remain silent, because Han and Chewie can get pretty noisy when that airlock seals.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008 edited
    HeeroJF wrote
    NJO only gets darker and darker as it drags on ("drags out", even, to an extent). It's a very harsh series.

Yeah,see, that's the thing.
    That's Frank Miller. That's Tim Burton. That's Chris Nolan.
    You know: I'm pretty much done with "dark 'n' gritty". The whole damn appeal of Star Wars in 1977 is that it was a mythical fairytale brought out against a backdrop of nuclear war scare, social uncertainty, economic recession and science fiction films that hammered the "look what they're doing to our poor brown earth" message home with a vengeance.

THAT is MY Star Wars: I want my heroes archetypical, my evil undiluted. I need there to be quests and heroics and redemption. I need to hang on to those unwavering certainties.

If I want dark 'n' gritty I'll watch Terminator, or read The Crow.
    Ballsy? Bollocks. It's a new Star Wars re-imagined for a new generation -though arguably this trend started wih the Dark Empire comics run in 1993-, and I for one just don't care.

Richard Marquand, director of Return Of The Jedi, toyed with the idea of killing one of the heroes (Lando Calrissian, there are still several scenes in the movie that foreshadow that event), but Lucas himself nixed the idea: "you don't kill people. It's not nice."
    Lucas still knew what he was doing back in '83.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. The 2 droids R2-D2 and C-3PO are still my favourites of the entire saga, and of course the wonderful chemistry of the entire cast of the first 3 movies, nothing equalled that in the latter despite holding more up to date effects, but for that not more improved effects

All hail Harrison Ford as Han Solo punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The 2 droids R2-D2 and C-3PO are still my favourites of the entire saga, and of course the wonderful chemistry of the entire cast of the first 3 movies, nothing equalled that in the latter despite holding more up to date effects, but for that not more improved effects

All hail Harrison Ford as Han Solo punk

What ^that man^ said.
    Every. Single. Word.
    punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Martijn wrote
    Richard Marquand, director of Return Of The Jedi, toyed with the idea of killing one of the heroes (Lando Calrissian, there are still several scenes in the movie that foreshadow that event), but Lucas himself nixed the idea: "you don't kill people. It's not nice."
    Lucas still knew what he was doing back in '83.

Harrison Ford himself allegedly appealed to George Lucas to have Han Solo killed. He really thought it would be best for the character as a whole. Perhaps that's why he described the character of Han Solo as "shallow" in an interview, while he confessed his love for the character of Indiana Jones.

But see, things change. People grow, times evolve. Star Wars has evolved to become the message that the world needs at any time in its long history. Back then, as you said, the people needed to be told that the world wasn't such a dark and doomed place. Nowadays, people need to be told that patriotism for its own sake isn't all that it's cracked up to be, that politicians are not saviours, that nations do fall, that wars aren't holy, and hence the new trilogy comes forth. And NJO offers a message of fatalism and holocaustal realities.

That doesn't mean you have to like it all of course! I just find it fascinating that the expanded Star Wars saga now offers means to associate with any aspect of a person's life: joy, loss, exuberance, betrayal, death, nostalgia... Whatever is going on in your life, Star Wars is there to help you draw parallels.

I enjoy thinking about nostalgia and camaraderie much more than actually like to sit there and mope about politics and loss, true. And so, like you, I actually enjoy the original stuff better. But politics and loss are a reality of life and when I can't avoid them, these new facets of Star Wars are there to soften the burn. My enjoyment of one side of Star Wars over the other doesn't impede the respect I have for the sociological legacy this saga has forged.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You people freak me out.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Martijn wrote
    William wrote
    Any other Star Wars nerds here, or am I all alone?

I find your lack of faith...disturbing.

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I find your lack of pants disturbing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not the full stop. NOT the full stop! crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Martijn wrote
    Not the full stop. NOT the full stop! crazy

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ?

Edit: sunuva bitch, this forum doesn't allow special characters. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    ?

I've always considered YOU to be a special character. Yes, very "special".
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008
    One who wears a helmet and rides the little landspeeder to school?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008 edited
    I couldn't possibly comment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bah; the reign of black-helmet wearing funny-speaking dudes is quickly reaching its conclusion. The archetype of true reign is soon to be established once again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    All bow to the Togorians!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    HeeroJF wrote
    All bow to the Togorians!!

punk
  2. To whom? shame
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote
    ?

Go somewhere else then!

POOK!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    PawelStroinski wrote
    To whom? shame

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Togorian

Han Solo's first sidekick on Elysia.
  3. I haven't dealt with the Expanded Universe too much. That is except the Zahn Trilogy and The Marriage of Princess Leia (Wedding?)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Courtship

There's a lot of fantastic stuff in the expanded universe. And a lot of dragged-out, not-too-good stuff. But for one thing, the rest of Zahn's books are tremendous. Not just his first trilogy. The way that Outbound Flight and Survivor's Quest work off each other, with over 50 years in between them, is fantastic. I couldn't even tell you which is the most rewarding way to read them: chronological order, or order in which they were written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    HeeroJF wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    To whom? shame

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Togorian

Han Solo's first sidekick on Elysia.

ARGH. The Han Solo trilogy...almost, but not quite as bad, as the Boba Fett trilogy Bantam squezzed out in the last 45 seconds of them holding the franchise. slant

There's a lot of things worthwhile in the expanded universe (The Zahn trilogy, Courtship Of Princess Leia, the X-Wing novel series and yes, I'm a Kevin J. Anderson apologist: I really liked Jedi Search and Darksaber) and a load of stinkers (anything by a former Trekkie novel writer).
    So tread carefully.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    I knew you were a geek Martijn, but I had no idea it was to this degree!? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    We're on a soundtrack collector forum... What exactly were you expecting?
    wink