• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009
    You mean influence on Kamen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Right! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DemonStar wrote
    I am listening to this now. My goodness, what a lovely opening! Lovely strings and haunting Mideastern-esque male vocals. Why on Earth did they have to add sound effects and dialogue towards the end?! Listening to the second track now, very classic Morricone with a little Kamen influence. Great stuff!

At first I thought you were talking about 5-Man Army, but you mean Baaria, I guess? I adore the second track (though I didn't notice any Kamen similarities).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009 edited
    Yeah, I meant Baaria. I was reminded a bit of the strings section from Robin Hood in the second track, albeit more slower. Hauntingly beautiful, touching score. Certainly one of this year's highlights, I say Oscar worthy too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Interesting bit of trivia. The 5-Man Army was the first review on MT of a Morricone soundtrack confused
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Wow! shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh, and good review Tom, I agree with it beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    Interesting bit of trivia. The 5-Man Army was the first review on MT of a Morricone soundtrack confused
    Thomas

Yikes!

I hope someone reviews Baaria for MT. It deserves some attention.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I added The 5 Man Army to the reviews

Thanks Tom. We needed some Morricone on the site! smile

Edit: Exactly the sentiment that was posted above too.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    I agree with James that there is no perfect collection. All the more so if we speak about Morricone. Even if the collection includes one or two tracks from a certain soundtrack, you can be sure that there are at least another 3-4 brilliant pieces on that same soundtrack that is missing from the collection.
    Collecting Morricone is not an easy task but a very fulfilling one.

The very well known DELERUE compilations are quite nice and spot-on i'd say.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009
    Southall wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Yikes!

I hope someone reviews Baaria for MT. It deserves some attention.

It deserves the utmost attention. I was listening to it on the bus today, again, for the 10+th time, that score is simply beautiful and the main themes are addictive as trademarked Morricone.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    keky wrote
    I agree with James that there is no perfect collection. All the more so if we speak about Morricone. Even if the collection includes one or two tracks from a certain soundtrack, you can be sure that there are at least another 3-4 brilliant pieces on that same soundtrack that is missing from the collection.
    Collecting Morricone is not an easy task but a very fulfilling one.

The very well known DELERUE compilations are quite nice and spot-on i'd say.

Some are indeed, but I think Morricone is a special case because of the sheer volume of work. You could fill ten CDs with themes from different films and still end up with ones you wish you'd put on there but didn't have room for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Much like J.S. Bach in terms of being prolific.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Timmer wrote

Do you have many Morricone scores yet Sunil? I mean full score CD's.

No. If i had full score CD collection, i would have not complaint about that. In fact, i am not as lucky as you guys. Its very hard to find score albums in my city. Even then i won't stop my hunting for score albums. Filmscores is my passion and everything. Without it, i couldn't imagine about that. Even now, i have desire to purchase some of the best Ennio Morricone works, but its quite unfortunate for me to get here. You know, Baaria is not released in my city. That's really disappoints me.

Have a nice day!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil wrote
    Timmer wrote

Do you have many Morricone scores yet Sunil? I mean full score CD's.

No. If i had full score CD collection, i would have not complaint about that. In fact, i am not as lucky as you guys. Its very hard to find score albums in my city. Even then i won't stop my hunting for score albums. Filmscores is my passion and everything. Without it, i couldn't imagine about that. Even now, i have desire to purchase some of the best Ennio Morricone works, but its quite unfortunate for me to get here. You know, Baaria is not released in my city. That's really disappoints me.

Have a nice day!

It's very hard to find any score albums in this city too and I doubt there are many cities in the world (maybe London, Los Angeles, New York, Milan and Rome are the only ones) where you can walk into a shop and buy Baaria. That's what Intrada and SAE are for!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hey James, I've no idea if there'll be anything you want but the store in the Galleries, Broadmead ( the one that used to be Virgin, Zavii, waddevah ) has ALL soundstracks priced at £4.99 or lower.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I fear that shopping for CD's in a store is quickly becoming a thing of the past.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It won't stop me Tom, you can find great bargains from putting in the effort to look around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Finally we got a Morricone review here! Well done, Tom!

*I just gave the album a 4½ rating*

Peter wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Sunil, do you have a credit card so you can order online?

I think for most of us, we get our Morricone CDs online. In my early days of Morricone collecting it was more or less a hobby for me to go to CD-shops in my neighborhood looking for Morricone OSTs. I did manage to find a few CDs here and there, especially in used CD shops, but it took an amazing tiem and effort.

When I started to buy online, it all got so much easier. For instance search for ennio morricone on Amazon and you see 1,455 titles! There are also many online shops that specialize in Morricone and/or italian film scores where you can find almost anything by the guy.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DemonStar wrote
    I am listening to this now. My goodness, what a lovely opening! Lovely strings and haunting Mideastern-esque male vocals. Why on Earth did they have to add sound effects and dialogue towards the end?!

I think the dialogue and SFX gives it a strong atmosphere of nostalgia, and I can imagine fans of the movie might react even more strongly.

That said, I do wish they had made that dialogue segment into it's own track, so the whole suite wouldn't be affected by it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Could be, yeah. But if I want to hear dialogues with the music, I could just rip the soundtrack from the DVD. There wasn't any real need to include them on the music album IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    It won't stop me Tom, you can find great bargains from putting in the effort to look around.

I think in years to come it will become a thrift store item like VHS tapes. If as an example VHS tapes sold used for $10 no one would pay the price for a 10 year old film that you could likely get on DVD for less money with a bit of shopping. On the otherhand, at $1 people snatch them up and complain that the manufacturers should still continue to produce them because their player still works.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009
    Sunil, do you have a credit card so you can order online?

Please read my personal message, Peter!

Have a nice day!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009
    Oh! i offer million thanks to Peter. Without him i would not have got those three great tracks from Baaria. OMG! what a composition? I still can't believe that Morricone is 82 years old. He might be old, but his music still sounds very young indeed. I have become so addict to this score. Hats off to Maestro!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009 edited
    I have one issue with Morricone's music, just my thoughts.

At one hand he can write beautiful music, perfect... he can write erotic / hip "yeah baby" music, great... epic mysterious music (Secret of the Sahara) fantastic, nice quiet music (Padre Pio) However at the other hand he composes sometimes such unlistenable pieces of music that I can't believe its the same man. Daily I listen to compilation cd's of Morricone, (while commuting) but often I have to skip some tracks, because they are so atonal / quirky / irritating.

I love his "beautiful" music, but strongly dislike his less than beautiful music. I don't have this with any other composer... anyway not to bash Morricone in any way. Its either a winner, or a bomb. Just curious what you guys think about this.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Glad you like them, Sunil. smile They're indeed vibrant and powerful. I'm sure Morricone still has 20 more years of composing in him. He's still young.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    plindboe wrote
    Glad you like them, Sunil. smile They're indeed vibrant and powerful. I'm sure Morricone still has 20 more years of composing in him. He's still young.

Peter smile

I wish the same. beer smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009 edited
    Talos wrote
    I have one issue with Morricone's music, just my thoughts.
    Daily I listen to compilation cd's of Morricone, (while commuting) but often I have to skip some tracks, because they are so atonal / quirky / irritating.

Hah! That's part and parcel of being a fan of the melodic side. But for all the unlistenable music (on cd) if you watch the movie then it stands up very well (atleast IMO).
    The atonal stuff is something I just accept as one of his quirks. I can't stand it all the time. It stems from his early background with 'absolute music' and 'Nuova Consonanza'. He mentioned in interviews about how he once attended a concert where the sole performance was of a guy moving a ladder across the stage and the sounds it produced got him thinking of absolute and applied music.
    Perhaps Peter and James will have more to add.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Talos,

Morricone surely creates annoying and unlistenable music from time to time. That said, I think part of the problem is that his way of creating tension is so unique compared to the traditional Hollywood way, where the sustained and increasingly loud strings is the typical, unimaginary trick whenever something scary is about to happen. Since most people are used to the traditional Hollywood sound, it gets extra, undue attention when something very different comes along.

Hollywood tension underscore also tends to blend in more with the rest of the underscore, while Morricone's stands apart and demands attention. I personally prefer Morricone's approach, because it makes it much easier to program the nasty stuff out when listening to an album.

Peter wink