• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Let's start quizzing

New link
    Game Quiz 1

I know this will probably frustrate you, but my goal is actually making sure you get interested in the score (or specific track) solely by these selections. For those who want to know more, I can always upload the (full) cues I have of this particular score afterwards wink

Oh and remember: 1 composer gets 5 selections here, 1st of 5 is found in sample 3
    1 point for the score, 1 point for the composer (3 if you guess the 2 together)

Hints
    1) Didn't receive any attention at the IFMCA awards at all last year, this game score nonetheless houses some lovely cues, like this playful fun theme. Just look up Ary
    2) Sports drama that touches the heart, running back towards his love never sounded so epic (by the composer who's most known for working with John Williams on one particular project)
    3) War drama that actually presents the 2 themes, a lovely choral hymn and the military theme near the end
    4) Wow, talk about an explosive emotional scene. Hardly any dialogue, just this composer's powerful theme underscoring the bad guy laughing when the father of his enemy dies. Movie magic through the eyes of this incredible composer
    5) This legendary composer is known for his melodic action music, it's such a shame he's no longer with us.
    6) Game score of 2019 that houses a great emotional theme, but this unknown composer surely makes it unforgettable, it feels like days are truly gone forever
    7) This comes from the extended promo, but careful listeners will pick up the theme in the middle and the emotional signature near the end
    8) The master of epic themes does it again, why is this composer not scoring anymore?
    9) Signature style is all over the place, funnily enough this is featured in the mesmerizing trailer of another film that is known for his most signature style of all
    10) Unknown composer that sets the scene on fire, has a hobbit at the piano
    11) Game score of 2018, completely overlooked though it has the Prince of Persia game composer at the helm
    12) The typical pairing of two unlikely actors make for a fun action film, though the composer tackles Prague so lovely first
    13) I adore this piece, because not only does it prominently feature the character theme of season 3, but it also literally states the theme of the series at the end
    14) Oh the theme, this composer doesn't compose regularly anymore, but he still delivers a thunderous conspiracy theme
    15) The theme is mind blowing, but this mesmerizing game is no slouch either. 3 Characters in the game all received their own sound through 3 composers. This is Kara's theme
    16) Ah elephants, this composer is not known for animal films but he still delivers a fun little theme for this Disney production
    17) This composer truly delivers the final blow to a film that is now hot stuff on Netflix as a series
    18) Period dramas are more his thing, but he can score animals jumping through fire just as easily
    19) Another game score that I treasure, from a group or person that calls themselves “Rozen”?
    20) It's surely a score that made us remember that they were the mighty ..
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Oh and I followed the advice and closed the older thread.
    Let's hope it didn't give much away shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2021
    Thanks for re-uploading. Do we send you a PM with the answers?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2021
    OK, PMed Thomas my answers. This was tricky; several I couldn't make out! But thanks again for making it, Thomas. I hope you get a handful of participants, at least.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Sorry Thomas but I will sit out this quiz because I saw a lot of the artwork/answers when I opened the files.

But I know that I wouldn't have gotten many from the music alone, even though I have many of the albums. There were only 2 that I recognised and would have identified - and they were probably some of the older scores. Knowing the answers, some of your clues were very good!

But, thanks for putting together this quiz and I hope to raise my game for the next one.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Thor wrote
    Thanks for re-uploading. Do we send you a PM with the answers?

yes, PM I think is best
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Sorry Thomas but I will sit out this quiz because I saw a lot of the artwork/answers when I opened the files.

But I know that I wouldn't have gotten many from the music alone, even though I have many of the albums. There were only 2 that I recognised and would have identified - and they were probably some of the older scores. Knowing the answers, some of your clues were very good!

But, thanks for putting together this quiz and I hope to raise my game for the next one.

Don't worry, 3 games standing ready after this (if nobody has another standing ready). So I won't make the same mistake again wink
  6. So far Thor has got 26 points, with a little help from me he'll get more wink
    Surprised you got some very easily, and others you didn't hear ... yet wink
    But he sure discovered the composer of the 5 pieces
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2021
    Heh. Not as bad as expected. I've given my answers, and my score of 26 is final, so if I manage to catch more based on your new clues in the PM, they will not be eligible. But just for fun, I'll try anyway. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  7. There's definitely some tracks that have encouraged me to revisit or seek out those scores. So, thank you Thomas!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    There's definitely some tracks that have encouraged me to revisit or seek out those scores. So, thank you Thomas!

That's the main idea. I can give you the full cue, or the cues I have of this score. But most of the time it's the one piece I kept. But that's what I like about it. I don't care if it's hard, I care if I get in contact with a piece of music that I'll fall in love with.

Again, when hearing the cue of George Delerue's Our Mothers House, it opened a new world for me. Never heard Delerue before, and now I have heard over 50 scores of him, all thanks to you Alan smile
  9. I'll keep this open until Saturday, then post the answers (and if possible a review I find online) smile
  10. I'm sorry I haven't been able to participate in the quiz yet! I want to, but I've been running around like a crazy person all week helping my friend prepare for her wedding tomorrow (I'm in the wedding too, as a bridesmaid). If I can't get to it, can I still listen to the samples, even if I'll have all the answers?
  11. Cailin, if you want some time this weekend, I'll wait.
    We need the competition, we can't have Thor winning this one wink

I hope the link is still OK?
  12. I'm about to head out to help with more wedding set-up. That would be great if you don't mind waiting just another day. I put the files on my laptop and hope to squeeze in some time if I'm doing something like napkin folding or something today, haha. But either way I promise to carve out some time on Sunday to listen if I can't get time today. Could you wait until Monday to do the reveal?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2021
    Yes, wait for me too!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2021
    Okay, don't wait for me. My try is an utter failure. biggrin

Thanks for setting up and taking the time to organise. It seems I have forgotten a lot. I blame the kids and lack of sleep.
    Kazoo
  13. Cailin, I'll wait for your answers. With Thor and Bregt, that would make 3 contestants
    So just do the best you can smile
  14. Thanks for waiting for me!! Just submitted my guesses!
  15. Filmscoregirl wrote
    Thanks for waiting for me!! Just submitted my guesses!

Thanks, after work I'll check them out, and then post the answers wink
  16. Okay, gonna rap this up, results are out.
    Sadly only 3 contestants but it makes sure everyone has a place on the podium smile

1) Thor
    2) Cailin
    3) Bregt

Fun facts:
    Most people guessed Trevor Rabin's influence, everybody adored track 13 love

Anyway, here are the answers and the full clips for you to enjoy
    Complete cues

Game 1

Trevor Rabin was our main composer with 5 selections:

1) Didn't receive any attention at the IFMCA awards at all last year, this game score nonetheless houses some lovely cues, like this playful fun theme. Just look up Ary

Ary, Guardian of Seasons (2020) by Marcus Hedges. Lovely indie score, I have a suite containing 2 cues. Made it to my best of 2020 compilation

2) Sports drama that touches the heart, running towards his love again never sounded so epic (by the composer who's most known for working with John Williams on one particular project)

Touchback (2011) by William Ross. The title was in the hint, Another small sports drama (starring Kurt Russell) but it has a very emotional powerful story. What would you do if you can change back history. Ross is of course mostly known for working on Harry Potter 2

3) War drama that actually presents the 2 themes, a lovely choral hymn and the military theme near the end

The Great Raid (2005) by Trevor Rabin. One of his most mature scores, and it contains 2 strong themes.

4) Wow, talk about an explosive emotional scene. Hardly any dialogue, just this composer's powerful theme underscoring the bad guy laughing when the father of his enemy dies. Movie magic through the eyes of this incredible composer

Blown Away (1994) by Alan Silvestri. Silvestri's mark is all over the place. From the explosive theme that adds layers of emotional intensity to a dramatic death. Strange people didn't know this one smile

5) This legendary composer is known for his melodic action music, it's such a shame he's no longer with us.

Under Siege 2: Dark Territorry (1995) by Basil Poledouris. Not action maestro Goldsmith but Poledouris made this Steven Seagal movie bareable, and this cue is just classic Poledouris.

6) Another game score that houses a great emotional theme, but this unknown composer surely makes it unforgettable

Days Gone (2019) by Nathan Whitestead: the title was once again in the hint smile, I have a suite containing 2 cues, most notably Sarah's theme that you hear here. Made it to my best of 2019 compilation.

7) This comes from the extended promo, but careful listeners will pick up the theme in the middle and the emotional signature near the end

Deep Blue Sea (1999) by Trevor Rabin: Was cheating a bit because it's not on the original CD. But the theme in the middle is (the theme when Samual Jackson says 'looks like Alcatraz flotes' or “Susan Softens” on the original CD) alongside the emotional stirring music that's equally heard in “Anarchy”

8) The master of epic themes does it again, why is this composer not scoring anymore?

Cleopatra (1999) by Trevor Jones: An insult this man isn't getting any more assignments. What another classic theme of his.

9) Signature style is all over the place, funnily enough this is featured in the mesmerizing trailer of another film that is known for his most signature style of all

The War (1994) by Thomas Newman. One of his lesser known scores of him, but I adore the vocal in this one. Check out the trailer of American Beauty (which is the score with his signature voice)

10) Unknown composer that sets the scene on fire, has a hobbit at the piano

Grand Piano (2013) by Victor Reyes: I adore this 8 minute piece, and the hobbit was Elijah Wood who plays the piano in the film.

11) Game score of 2018, completely overlooked though it has the Prince of Persia game composer at the helm

Pathfinder: Kingmaker (2018) by Inon Zur. Inon Zur is most known for his game music, especially the Prince of Persia games but I adore this wonderful Celtic touch.

12) The typical pairing of two unlikely actors make for a fun action film, though the composer tackles Prague so lovely first

Bad Company (2002) by Trevor Rabin. Again cheating a bit because Bad Company was never officially released. But it's a typical Rabin score, and the pairing of Hopkins and Rock worked for me.

13) I adore this piece, because not only does it prominently feature the character theme of season 3, but it also literally states the theme of the series at the end

The Tudors 'Season 3' (2009) by Trevor Morris. One of my all time favorite moments. I adore the main theme of the series (which you briefly hear at the end) but my suite also has the piano rendition of Jane Seymour and the wonderful elegiac rise of it near the end.

14) Oh the theme, this composer doesn't compose regularly anymore, but he still delivers a thunderous conspiracy theme

Shadow Conspiracy (1997) by Bruce Broughton: Just the theme alone is outstanding.

15) The theme is mind blowing, but this mesmerizing game is no slouch either. 3 Characters in the game all received their own sound through 3 composers. This is Kara's theme

Detroit: Become Human (2018) by Philip Sheppard: This incredible game has 3 main characters, and as you play with all 3, it was fitting 3 composers worked on each character solely. Kara's theme is the most gripping one. And the 7 minute suite is just mind blowing.

16) Ah elephants, this composer is not known for animal films but he still delivers a fun little theme for this Disney production

Whispers: An Elephant's Tale (2000) by Trevor Rabin. No Lion King, but the feel of Media Ventures surely flows through the veins.

17) This composer truly delivers the final blow to a film that is now hot stuff at Netflix as a series

The Karate Kid III (1989) by Bill Conti: Cobra Kai is hot stuff on Netflix, but of course Conti made crane kicks memorable in the original films. This music would make you believe an epic fight is going on, but the scene is actually quite pathetic if you first hear the music and then see it in context wink

18) Period dramas are more his thing, but he can score animals jumping through fire just as easily

Two Brothers (2004) by Stephen Warbeck. I love the film, typical animal movie but it has a heart. And Warbeck has an incredible finale at the end. But my suite also has the lovely brothers theme.

19) Another game score that I treasure, from a group or person that calls themselves “Rozen”?

Children of Termina (2018) by Rozen. Don't know this group, but it's just good music.

20) It's surely a score that made us remember that they were the mighty ..

Remember the Titans (2000) by Trevor Rabin: real blockbuster for sports dramas and a powerful one at that. Rabin's music is powerful, gripping but also quite lovely like the suite tends you to believe.
  17. Thanks for doing this Thomas.

CLEOPATRA and SHADOW CONSPIRACY were the only two that I recognised. I should have known more since I have a lot of the albums. It just shows how little time I have spent on them before moving on to something else. And I am not much of a fan of Rabin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2021
    Great quiz, Thomas -- but some clips so hard, they bordered on impossible. I'm glad the ones I didn't get are scores I haven't been exposed to or listened to at all (as opposed to actually owning them yourself, but still not catching them), although I'm pleased I got the composer right in a couple of instances.

You're absolutely right in the "extra benefit" of tipping us off to great scores. Certainly a few here I'd like to check out in more detail.
    I am extremely serious.
  18. Thor wrote
    Great quiz, Thomas -- but some clips so hard, they bordered on impossible. I'm glad the ones I didn't get are scores I haven't been exposed to or listened to at all (as opposed to actually owning them yourself, but still not catching them), although I'm pleased I got the composer right in a couple of instances.

You're absolutely right in the "extra benefit" of tipping us off to great scores. Certainly a few here I'd like to check out in more detail.

That's what I was aiming for, getting you excited for the music wink
    Either way, enjoy the complete cues smile
  19. It's clear to me that I have not given Bruce Broughton or Basil Poledouris enough attention (nor do I have many of their scores truthfully) their names never even entered my mind! Shame on me!

And I love William Ross, but have never even heard of the movie Touchback! It's on my radar now, thanks Thomas! biggrin
  20. Filmscoregirl wrote
    It's clear to me that I have not given Bruce Broughton or Basil Poledouris enough attention (nor do I have many of their scores truthfully) their names never even entered my mind! Shame on me!

And I love William Ross, but have never even heard of the movie Touchback! It's on my radar now, thanks Thomas! biggrin

I adore Touchback. The TRAILER doesn't look that brilliant, but it has a lot of heart. Courtesy of William Ross and a good chemistry between the actors
  21. And I hope everyone is downloading the full selections wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2021 edited
    Filmscoregirl wrote

My guess there, based on the clues, was Ross' TIN CUP, which -- as you all know -- is about golf. But then I discovered Ross had actually done MANY sports movies. Never even heard of TOUCHBACK.....

Although I recognized both Silvestri and Poledouris easily, and have pretty sizeable collections of both, I do not actually own BLOWN AWAY and UNDER SIEGE 2. But now I might seek them out.

I'm surprised Broughton was the 'conspiracy' clue. Has he done many such movies? I was thinking more along the lines of Shire and Small.
    I am extremely serious.
  22. Thor wrote
    Filmscoregirl wrote

My guess there, based on the clues, was Ross' TIN CUP, which -- as you all know -- is about golf. But then I discovered Ross had actually done MANY sports movies. Never even heard of TOUCHBACK.....

Although I recognized both Silvestri and Poledouris easily, and have pretty sizeable collections of both, I do not actually own BLOWN AWAY and UNDER SIEGE 2. But now I might seek them out.

I'm surprised Broughton was the 'conspiracy' clue. Has he done many such movies? I was thinking more along the lines of Shire and Small.

I was hinting more towards the word conspiracy of the title, but I don't think he's know for those no.

Well Touchback is not that known no, even had to download a version because I couldn't buy it (not at least region free). But again I love this movie. I'm a sucker for sports films, I'm a sucker for Kurt Russell in general and the movie just has heart. Not original, but when it works I don't care
  23. What are some of your other favorite sports movies Thomas? I really like Glory Road (one of Trevor Rabin's other sports movies, haha), The Greatest Game Ever Played, Seabiscuit, of course my latest favorite Ford V Ferrari, and definitely Rookie of the Year from my childhood (where the kid gets a broken arm and throws a fastball in the major leagues). I love sports movies too, and would love to watch some of your top choices!