• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2020 edited
    Quartet Records, in collaboration with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Capitol Records and Universal Music Enterprises, is proud to present a mammoth 3-CD expanded edition of Ennio Morricone’s iconic score for the no-less iconic 1966 epic western by Sergio Leone: THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY, starring Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach.

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY features what is probably the most instantly recognizable and famous of Morricone’s themes. But there is much more to admire in this score, such as the inventive motifs, formation of thematic material and adroit orchestrations (which the Maestro considered possibly even more important than the act of composition). The composer created his own genre and utilized the recording studio as an instrument in achieving his vision by layering trumpets and varying echo to create a sense of depth.

This score is a kaleidoscope of nature call-and-response symbols, agonized shouts, grunting male chorus, epic wordless female voice, haunting harmonica, spiritual bugling trumpets, tolling chimes, vivid surf-rock Fender guitar, and sounds imitating gunfire. It is stylized yet cinematic. It is avant-garde yet embraces traditional film scoring—with some cues scored reverently for trumpet, harmonica, strings and chorus.

The original 34-minute album has seen countless releases on LP and CD since 1966. An expanded 55-minute CD edition was released in 2001, but it was still far from including all the material that Morricone had conceived for the film. For this new Quartet release we have included all this material thanks to newly discovered original recording sessions vaulted in mono at MGM, which also include a large number of alternates, revised cues and music that was ultimately not included in the film. The original album has been included on Disc 3 for its historical value, although it has been remastered for the first time from the first-generation stereo master tapes.

The entire collection has been painstakingly restored and mastered by Chris Malone. The package includes a richly illustrated 24-page booklet with liner notes by Tim Greiving, who offers a detailed analysis of the film and score, including quotes from an exclusive interview with Clint Eastwood given especially for this release. This album is a loving tribute to the memory and impressive legacy of one of the greatest geniuses in film music history: Maestro Ennio Morricone.

DISC 1. The Film Score

1. Prologo / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (titoli) (2:47)
    2. Il brutto / Il tramonto (1:21)
    3. Morte di Stevens (0:55)
    4. Morte di Baker / Il cattivo (0:27)
    5. Una taglia sulla testa / Un angelo biondo (0:52)
    6. Fuga a cavallo (0:45)
    7. Il buono / Il biondo abbandona Tuco nel deserto (0:37)
    8. La confessione di Maria (1:14)
    9. Il ponte di corde (0:50)
    10. Tuco fa la colletta (1:05)
    11. Suspense (1:14)
    12. I tre desperados / Una cannonata provvindenziale (1:10)
    13. Il forte (2:21)
    14. All’inseguimento del biondo (2:25)
    15. Il deserto (5:16)
    16. Il deserto secondo (2:39)
    17. Lo stivale (0:59)
    18. La carrozza dei fantasmi (2:07)
    19. Biondo… non morire! (0:56)
    20. La missione di San Antonio / Il mio miglior nemico veglia su di me (2:23)
    21. Incontro con Padre Ramirez / Perdonami fratello / Ti aiuterà a difenderti (2:38)
    22. Il Canyon dei Morti / Dio è con noi (0:26)
    23. Marcetta prima / Marcetta seconda (2:45)
    24. Il campo di prigionia di Betterville (1:25)
    25. La storia di un soldato (5:34)
    26. Un treno per la forca / Partenza del treno militare (1:56)
    27. Tuco e Wallace (La storia di un soldato) (3:52)
    28. Tuco scappa / Arrivo nella cittadina / Fine di una spia (1:16)
    29. Il bandito monco (2:52)
    30. Inseguilo! (0:56)
    31. Il bagnoschiuma di Tuco (0:46)
    32. Due contro cinque / Verso duecentomilla dollari (4:06)

DISC 2. The Film Score (Cont.)

1. Il capitano nordista (3:12)
    2. Due assalti al giorno (2:08)
    3. Il capitano e’ ferito (1:20)
    4. Marcetta senza speranza (1:51)
    5. L’ esplosione del ponte (0:48)
    6. Morte di un soldato (3:17)
    7. L’estasi dell’oro (3:23)
    8. In due scaverete più presto! / Il triello (2:50)
    9. Il triello seconda parte (2:20)
    10. Non e’ uno scherzo, e’una corda / Nella linea del mirino / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (0:56)
    11. Finale (2:01)

Bonus Tracks

12. Titoli (Versione film con cannonata) (2:46)
    13. La storia di un soldato (Orchestral Version) (2:54)
    14. Il tramonto (Alternate) (0:58)
    15. Morte di Stevens (Alternate) (0:54)
    16. Fuga a cavallo (Film Version) (0:45)
    17. Intermezzo musicale (0:23)
    18. Il forte (Alternate) (0:56)
    19. Marcetta (Alternate) (2:44)
    20. Organo (0:16)
    21. Organo secondo (1:33)
    22. L’estasi dell’oro (Mono Album Mix) (3:23)
    23. Il triello (Alternate) (3:15)
    24. Il triello / Il triello seconda parte (Extended Version) (7:13)
    25. La storia di un soldato (Alternate) (3:56)
    26. Lo stivale (Extended Sustain) (2:17)
    27. Uahuah & effetti (2:04)
    28. La storia di un soldato (Extended Stereo Version) (7:29)
    29. Il triello (Alternate – Stereo Mix) (3:15)
    30. La storia di un soldato (Extended Version) (3:55)
    31. Titoli (Versione film con cannonata – Stereo Mix) (2:47)

DISC 3. Original Soundtrack Album

1. Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (2:42)
    2. Il tramonto (1:16)
    3. Il forte (2:23)
    4. Il deserto (5:18)
    5. La carrozza dei fantasmi (2:08)
    6. Marcetta (2:50)
    7. La storia di un soldato (3:54)
    8. Marcetta senza speranza (1:52)
    9. Morte di un soldato (3:10)
    10. L’estasi dell’oro (3:24)
    11. Il triello (4:57)

https://quartetrecords.com/product/the- … ugly-3-cd/
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  1. Despite already having the old RCA Records release (released with some music from the first two movies of the trilogy), the short release featuring this score in isolation, the expanded GDM CD Club release, and the (frankly) bizarre 'complete' Recording Arts release, seeing this 3CD set being released was a bit exciting.

Looking forward to hearing Morricone's inventiveness in all its glory.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Is anyone here going to go for this one? If not, I would be interested to know why not. No interest in the composer or movie? Or another reason.

Let's assume some won't want it because it's too much music.)
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2020 edited
    I'm not.

The main reason is that I do not entirely like some of Morricone's most popular works anymore, including this one. It's'the overuse in popular culture that has kept me from listening to any of the music, even the fine GDM release, and watching the film, for a long time. Saturation. Any new analysis, review, release, mention leaves me cold.
  3. I think that overuse in popular culture is something that's a problem. I can't listen to 'Gabriel's Oboe' anymore because of its overuse.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2020
    That's another example. Do you know the Carel Kraayenhof/Morricone version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGAhGcma87A

As such, it still works for me.
  4. I don't think I do. I will check it out.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2020
    Let me know. It's a very different approach.
  5. Listening through to this now, and I think it's a wonderful sounding set. The mono tracks sound great, but the remix of the OST on disc 3 is really fantastic.
  6. bigjimwilson wrote
    Listening through to this now, and I think it's a wonderful sounding set. The mono tracks sound great, but the remix of the OST on disc 3 is really fantastic.

I had read how sound on disc 3 was improved - and had some very minor additions to finish off some tracks previously lacking.
  7. Finally got round to listening to the OST mono tracks.

Hearing the entire score adds so much to the listening experience offered by the 'highlights' disc versions previously available. And, as said above, the mono tracks sound excellent - so much detail, particularly in the quieter tracks, and a very rewarding listen.