• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2020 edited
    Okay, this is something different: Getting tired of the old tropes, I'm looking for some new background music for our Warhammer Fantasy Role-playing game campaign. Over the course of my 35 years as an RPG gamemaster, I just used to take everything I found cool and put it on. Every new score I loved found its way into the game, whether its style fitted the genre or now, and while I think it was great fun, I'm now looking forward to a new approach.

I want to use stuff that has basically the same style all over, but is still versatile enough for me to be able to build different playlists for simple background music, action scenes, city adventures, landscape journeys, some epic $#!t happening, hideous monsters, occult cultist, Lovecraftian shenanigans, you name it. (Oh yeah, WFRP is an AWSOME game!)

I'm looking for EVERYTHING that somewhat fits these kinds of scores:

- DaVinci's Demons - This is the standard, so I'm talking medieval/renaissance mixed with classical orchestra.
    - King Arthur (Daniel Pemberton's; I want to say his Dark Crystal as well, but that's a bit too fantasy-y)
    - The Witcher (the series score, though it's a bit too eastern European, but some of it is definitely suitable)
    - A Plague's Tale (pure medieval is fine, obviously)
    - Outlaw King

I will also use real medieval instrument playlists for inns and taverns, NOT video game pseudo-fantasy inn music like the stuff for the Warcraft taverns (I love it, but I don't want to use it)

So, in short, I'm looking for authentic medieval instruments used in combo with orchestra for film oder video scores, as less synth stuff as possible, and I'm talking real themes, beautiful melodies, but also harsh, brutal sound for action and other stuff, more quiet and backgroundy.

Every suggestion is welcome! Just name the album, I will take a listen and sort what I can use into the different playlists.

I will create spotify playlists where possible and provide you all with the links once it's all finished.

Thank you in advance for your help.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2020
    There are some great cues that would fit your bill on LADYHAWKE, NOSTRADAMUS and EXCALIBUR.

Other notables are the CONAN scores, FAREWELL TO THE KING, FLESH+BLOOD, RONJA RÖVERDATTER (available on the Björn Isfält compilation), ARMY OF DARKNESS, HALVDAN VIKING, KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, THE NAME OF THE ROSE, THE LAST KINGDOM....

Could there be any usable cues on THE 13th WARRIOR or TIMELINE?

Some of these may be too 'fantasy' for you (I assume there's a reason for why you don't have the LOTR scores or similar fare on your list, for example), or otherwise don't fit your bill, but it's worth sampling for individual cues, at least.

Then there's a GREAT deal of classical albums, which I'm sure you're aware. Like, for example, "Lord Herbert of Cherbury's Lute Book" on Harmonia Mundi. Or "Voices from the Middle Ages" and Dufay's "Integrale des Motets Isorythmiques" from the same label. And Hildegard von Bingen and all that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2020
  1. Thanks, Thor. At first I was a bit taken aback, because I know many of these score inside out, and many of them ARE too fantasy-like for me and don't fit the bill, but there are a few individual tracks on them that might be useful, indeed, so thx for pointing these classics out to me, so I can give them a second chance for this. Some of the newer ones I don't really know, so there is still a lot to discover. Thx for every score recommendation.

Also, thx for the specific classical recommendations. There is so much of that stuff that's certainly usable, so pointing out some specifics will help.

@Steven: Yeah, I know about these. biggrin Most of them are completely unsuitable, but there are a few which are actually quite great and will find their way into my playlists, for certain special moments during the adventures. This one's my favourite:

Nothing Else Matters
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2020
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thanks, Thor. At first I was a bit taken aback, because I know many of these score inside out, and many of them ARE too fantasy-like for me and don't fit the bill, but there are a few individual tracks on them that might be useful, indeed, so thx for pointing these classics out to me, so I can give them a second chance for this. Some of the newer ones I don't really know, so there is still a lot to discover. Thx for every score recommendation.

No prob. Yes, you'll have to sift through them on Spotify or whatever. Tracks like "Wedding Music" from LADYHAWKE, "Igrayne's Dance" from EXCALIBUR and that kind of stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Exactly. Thx.
  3. Maybe more on the romantic or atmospheric side than what you want, but something from MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS by Max Richter might work? "The Ambush" "Outmaneuvered" or "The Assassination" perhaps?
  4. Oh, that sounds interesting. I like Richter. I'll check it out, thx.