• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2020
    We're living in a golden age of synthwave scores, which I absolutely love. Here's my brand-new review of Carpenter Brut's BLOOD MACHINES:

http://celluloidtunes.no/blood-machines-carpenter-brut/

....but I wanted to create a more general thread for the topic as well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2020
    Please, don't everybody talk at once! :D
    I am extremely serious.
  1. The only guy I know to love this as much as you do doesn't really speak English very well and therefore doesn't really attend foreign forums.

Considering my attitude to all things Harold Faltermeyer I don't even try this myself.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Thor wrote
    Please, don't everybody talk at once! :D

You know what they tell you to do when you have nothing nice to say... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2021 edited
    Not been that many synthwave highlights this year (so far). FLINCH didn't do that much for me, I'm afraid. ENCODYA was a nice BLADE RUNNER-like score for a videogame, but that's not really synthwave. TUNNA BLÅ LINJEN was very good, as were UNDERPLAYED and DICKINSON (in terms of synth scores). But again, not proper synthwave. So I'm waiting!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Hey, Thor, you might like this! Two Steps From Hell put out a synthwave album last year, Neon Nights. Mostly by Thomas Bergersen but with a few tracks by Øivind Rosvold (with whom I am totally unfamiliar). It was an industry album so didn't get a public release, but you can find it on YouTube.

Highlights for me include the chilled out "Midnight Love" and super-catchy "Lamborghini Highway" but the crown jewel of the album is the absolutely insane 8-minute beast that is "Arcade Master", which is like EDM meets Techno Syndrome meets Irish jig meets chiptune meets film score meets JS Bach. Bergersen at his genre-bending best and it's honestly a shame he buried this on an industry album, it deserves to be heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2021
    Thanks for the recommendation, Edmund. I've never really been a fan of Bergersen's "trailer-type" music (even though he's a fellow Norwegian). But if he's venturing into synthwave, I'm willing to give it a chance.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2021
    I've now sampled the album. Alas, it comes off as a tad bit over-produced in my ears. The trick with synthwave is to keep it lean and mean. Some good tracks, but not a top contender in the genre, IMO. I'll give it a few more whirls.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. That's a fair assessment, Bergersen is definitely a "more is more" kind of guy most of the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2021
    Not a soundtrack, strictly speaking, but I heartily recommened Ilya Santana's new album B MOVIE 1984 (which is presented as an original soundtrack, but which really isn't). Channels Carpenter, Faltermeyer et. al. beautifully.

Also, Waveshaper dropped a new digital album recently, MAINFRAME. As always, top quality synthwave with a melodic core.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I always struggle identifying genres or styles - even when I google it. Is there an easy-to-understand definition of synthwave?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2021
    No. You'll just have to remember the 80s stylings and technologies. Yahama DX7, Juno, Jupiter, Roland T-808, Synclavier, Linndrum and so on.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    Not a soundtrack, strictly speaking, but I heartily recommened Ilya Santana's new album B MOVIE 1984 (which is presented as an original soundtrack, but which really isn't). Channels Carpenter, Faltermeyer et. al. beautifully.

Also, Waveshaper dropped a new digital album recently, MAINFRAME. As always, top quality synthwave with a melodic core.

I actually liked that one, definitely coming from the good old 80's
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh