• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I'm curious, do any of you have film score memorabilia? Like a signed CD, special poster, photo etc.?

If so, what is your most favorite or most meaningful item that you have?

My most special items are a signed poster made out to me by trumpet player Tim Morrison (soloist on my favorite score Apollo 13, as well as JFK, Born on the Fourth of July, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, and others). And a photo I have with Alan Silvestri at a film music concert he attended several years ago.

I'd love to hear your favorites!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2020
    My memorabilia is really the memories of meeting, interviewing or taking photos with the composers I love. That's the main thing.

In terms of physical items, like signed stuff, I've never really been that into it. However, I do have a few items. I have a signed TANGO & CASH CD by Harold Faltermeyer, I have a small poster of MODERN VAMPIRES signed by both Richard and Danny Elfman and I have a signed photo of John Williams that someone gave me years ago. In terms of non-film music, I also have a couple of signed items by Supertramp members (like a photo of Roger Hodgson).

By the way, I'm glad you're taking the time to post stuff in Maintitles' dying hours. That's touching, Filmscoregirl! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I have a few photos that I took of composers at various meetings, etc. but probably the memorabilia that are a little extra special include a signed CD of Marco Beltrami's score for FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX.

I was lucky enough to attend a session during the recording of Beltrami's score for THE OMEN and as John Moore was the director of THE OMEN and FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX I took that cover along to see if they would both sign the CD cover. They did.

I also got a photo with Marco and John offered to take the photo for me. So that photo of me and Marco is a bit special because it's taken by John. But, as with a lot of photos, since it was taken on a digital camera the actual photo is languishing on a hard drive somewhere in the house.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Thor wroteBy the way, I'm glad you're taking the time to post stuff in Maintitles' dying hours. That's touching, Filmscoregirl! smile

cheesy Haha, what can I say, I'm a natural procrastinator!
  4. I have been lucky enough to meet my favorite composer both via a phone call (the first Polish interview) and in real life, so these memorabilia are among the most favorites.

In terms of sheer size the biggest gift I got is that, after he got me tours in both major London studios, AIR and Abbey Road and he found out that I enjoyed it there, Hans Zimmer sent me a book called Recording the Beatles because I might like the technical aspects of it. With it came note, saying, "Dear Pawel, I hope you like this, Best H." . As it was written on this kind of personal visiting card having his name on it (I have no idea what it's called), he crossed out his last name with it, which I took as a "first name basis" kind of message.

I met him the next year, which led to a recording session during which I had my Thin Red Line copy (what else) autographed and a picture with him, which is, unsurprisingly is my most-liked picture on Facebook and a friend of mine actually was once mindlessly going through her pictures with a friend and this happened

"Hey, go back one... is that the Inception guy?"
    "...yes?"

I also had a concert ticket upgrade, I have both the upgraded invitation and the aftershow invitation, which I actually thought I lost.

Other memorabilia I have is all my festival passes (Kraków and other Polish film festivals I attended), a couple of scores I've had autographed (among others Spy Game, The Matrix). While the copy itself wasn't autographed, I got Behind Enemy Lines from Don Davis... just because I asked for it (though he didn't remember he sent it a few years later).

Not as many as some guys over here, but yeah, I have my share smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Wow Pawel, what AMAZING stories! Love them!! Those are some truly special memories and memorabilia!
  6. I have a signed How to Train Your Dragon 2, though alas I wasn't there for the signature; it was sent to me by Craig Lysy from the USA.

I also have a lovely set of five or six promos from Christopher Young that he sent to everyone who was on the Tracksounds podcast back in the day, along with a nice personal note about each of the scores. This was back in 2014 I think, because he was really surprised and overwhelmed that we would think to nominate The Monkey King even though at the time it hadn't had an album release. I never met him in person, but he was on the podcast a few times, such a sweet guy.

I also met David Arnold in 2017 but didn't get anything signed because I'm an idiot. At least there's photographic evidence haha
  7. One of the great things about the World Soundtrack Awards in Gent, Belgium was the chance to meet so many composers. I have a lot of pictures with various composers, many signed CD booklets and the chance to have interviewed several of them.

The craziest thing I probably did was steal the pen from Harry Gregon-Williams hands because hey it was mine and I needed that back wink The most surreal thing was waiting outside the concert hall (Bregt, Mario and myself) to get autographs from Craig Armstrong. And once he got out it was like paparazzi, running towards him because he left on the other end of the concert hall only for us to be halted by his security. But the funny thing was that we were the only 3 waiting for him, so Craig happily pushed the security back and talked to us for a while.

Funny was Trevor Jones attacking me because I wanted him to sign a bootleg cover. Thing was, that bootleg was the commercial CD of Loch Ness that was just released months before. And apparently Trevor never knew it was released commercially.

The most spontaneous encounter was with Bryan Tyler in London. Considering we just ran into him once we left a bar we were sitting in for hours after the concert. It lasted just seconds, but I got a picture with him alone.

And the most personal was definitely Clint Mansell when he was in Gent for his concert. We had an interview with him that was supposed to last 20 minutes, but apparently we were the only ones there, and the person responsible for the press forgot we were still there talking with him. We talked with him for about an hour until they suddenly realized we were still with him. It's with talks like these that you truly open up to fans smile

So many other encounters with composers. Hell I wish Gent was that small venue again because it was back then you got to be personal with the composers. Now it's all commercial and you can't get near to them anymore.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2020
    Oh God, don't even get me started about Ghent. So many memories, both related to job and 'free time'. Most of the composers I interviewed are thankfully documented in my respective Celluloid Tunes episodes.

Do you remember the time we had a drunken conversation with Nolan composer David Julyan in a bar? This wasn't that long after he had been replaced by Zimmer as Nolan's go-to composer. And then on leaving the bar in the wee hours of the morning, we had a drunken chat with Alberto Iglesias outside; there are even photos to prove it. One of out many stories from Ghent.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Actually I witnessed a great Harry Gregson-Williams memorabilia story during an afterparty at the Kraków Film Music Festival, where Harry was a guest. Essentially he went to mix and mingle and the conductor score of his Shrek suite (made for and performed at the concert) was lying there at the bar. I and a couple of pals, mostly composer, were just looking at it. Gregson-Williams was just about to leave and saw it.

"I'll just get my..."
    (looks at us)
    "You like my score?"
    (we all nod, somewhat incredulously)
    "Ah, take it then"
    (he leaves, we end up shooting looks at each other"
    "He really just...?"
    "Yeah, it seems to..."
    "May I?"
    "Yeah, sure, help yourself!"

Thus one of the guys ended up with the sheet music to a concert suite from the first Shrek biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. Thor wrote
    Oh God, don't even get me started about Ghent. So many memories, both related to job and 'free time'. Most of the composers I interviewed are thankfully documented in my respective Celluloid Tunes episodes.

Do you remember the time we had a drunken conversation with Nolan composer David Julyan in a bar? This wasn't that long after he had been replaced by Zimmer as Nolan's go-to composer. And then on leaving the bar in the wee hours of the morning, we had a drunken chat with Alberto Iglesias outside; there are even photos to prove it. One of out many stories from Ghent.

Well you had a drunk conversation with Julyan, I was next to you having a sober conversation with Tim Burden and Joris Hermy wink

But indeed, the times we had. Wish those times could return
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh