• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2018 edited
    Nice! A unique concert. punk

Held on October 17th, the World Soundtrack Awards will welcome Carter Burwell, one of the most brilliant film composers of his generation, known for his compelling scores including Being John Malkovich, In Bruges, Where The Wild Things Are, Twilight and his unique collaborations with some of the world’s most respected filmmakers such as the Coen Brothers (Fargo, True Grit, Miller’s Crossing, No Country for Old Men) and Todd Haynes (Carol, Wonderstruck, Mildred Pierce, Velvet Goldmine).

Film Fest Gent also welcomes Nicholas Britell, Academy Award-nominated composer, pianist and producer. Last year during the World Soundtrack Awards, the American composer won the ‘Discovery of the Year’ award for Barry Jenkins’ Oscar-winning film Moonlight. In 2015, Britell wrote the score for Adam Mc Kay’s Oscar-nominated film The Big Short and Natalie Portman’s directorial debut feature film A Tale of Love and Darkness.

More info and tickets
    https://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/e … -2018/2201
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2018
    Still on a weekday :-/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I knew about Burwell's involvement about a month ago.

Alas, neither of these guests are particularly interesting to me (Burwell is very on/off). That, plus the weekday thing, makes it prohibitive yet again. Last time was 2015, so it's already 3 years ago.

BUT....I'm considering replacing the WSA with attending the summer festival in Ghent. No worries about getting composer interviews etc.; just enjoying the city and beers all day long!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    BUT....I'm considering replacing the WSA with attending the summer festival in Ghent. No worries about getting composer interviews etc.; just enjoying the city and beers all day long!

You have to contact me for that. The first weekend I'll be at a the Cactus music festival in Bruges (with Nils Frahm and lots of Belgian artists too). Belgium is a paradise for summer festivals. Every town has its own.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    You have to contact me for that. The first weekend I'll be at a the Cactus music festival in Bruges (with Nils Frahm and lots of Belgian artists too). Belgium is a paradise for summer festivals. Every town has its own.

Oooh. It has Mogwai and Goldfrapp too! Looks good. Sunday is apparently the day to be there.

I really want to go, but now that RyanAir no longer is operational in Norway, flights to Brussels are expensive.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I like Burwell and would love to go but too far away plus the wheelchair, rats.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2018 edited
    Film Fest Gent honours French composer Philippe Sarde with Lifetime Achievement Award at 18th World Soundtrack Awards

Within the framework of the upcoming World Soundtrack Awards Gala, Film Fest Gent will honour Philippe Sarde's impressive career with a Lifetime Achievement Award followed by a tribute to Sarde's film music. The French composer is known for an immense variety and richness in his scores, ranging from impressive symphonic work to pure jazz.

https://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/e … -2018/2207
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2018
    Man, I am so desperate to go back to Ghent. Both times I've been (2012 and 2016) were amazing trips; catching up with some of you guys in person, drinking lots of beer, and meeting high-profile composers in circumstances I simply cannot imagine could occur at any other event.

Probably won't be this year but it's always on my radar. smile
  1. LSH wrote
    Man, I am so desperate to go back to Ghent. Both times I've been (2012 and 2016) were amazing trips; catching up with some of you guys in person, drinking lots of beer, and meeting high-profile composers in circumstances I simply cannot imagine could occur at any other event.

Probably won't be this year but it's always on my radar. smile

Yep, hope to see you again one day smile And that counts for you too Thor, and all the others I've had the pleasure of meeting one day
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2018 edited
    Even to this day I get blurry memories appearing in my mind of things that may or may not have happened on these trips. The other day, for instance, I recalled a moment where I was giving Daniel Pemberton advice on how to pull a girl he had his eye on at the after-party. I think my advice was: “Just recreate the theme to Peep Show with your mouth and you’re in mate.”

spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2018
    I am looking into that one. Still totally dislike the fact that is on a weekday. In the weekend it would have been a nobrainer for me.
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2018 edited
    Any updates about the guests? Who will be present apart from Philippe Sarde, Carter Burwell, Nicholas Britell and I think (but not sure) Laurent Eyquem?
    Anyone for the TV Awards is coming?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2018
    Sadly, I cannot make it this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2018 edited
    Dennis wrote
    Any updates about the guests? Who will be present apart from Philippe Sarde, Carter Burwell, Nicholas Britell and I think (but not sure) Eyquem Laurent?
    Anyone for the TV Awards is coming?

That would be Laurent Eyquem (since you had the first and last names in order for the others, I thought you should have it for Laurent too). smile

I have no idea who else is coming (as with Caliburn, I'm not coming this year, so I haven't investigated much). Maybe Bregt knows?

I just realized I haven't been to the WSA since 2015. Time flies!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2018 edited
    Thor wrote
    That would be Laurent Eyquem (since you had the first and last names in order for the others, I thought you should have it for Laurent too). smile

Fixed, I hope you can sleep better now smile

and Yes, the question was more for Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2018
    Thor wrote

I just realized I haven't been to the WSA since 2015. Time flies!

Must have been the last time in a weekend? :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2018
    Probably.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2018 edited
    I have no idea who else is coming Dennis. I'm not in the loop anymore.

But Kaat and I bought a ticket yesterday, finally. It will be my 17th WSA and it would be sad to miss one out, especially since Burwell is usually worth to listen to, although he tends to to low key scores. My only fear is that the concert will be not varied enough.

As for the 2001 and space music concert the day after, that'll be a very last minute decision. smile

In the mean time, the film festival of Gent started a few days ago, with GIRL as the opening movie. Lots of very positive comments and reviews on that film, directed by a very young director from Gent, Lukas Dhont. The movie is our Oscar candidate.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2018
    I would be interested in attending the whole (or part of) the film festival one day, rather than just the WSA. I chatted a bit with Patrick Duynslaegher on the bus from Nice to Cannes last year (or perhaps it was this year?). You always seem to get good films and directors.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. We will not be coming to the WSA's but instead we booked our seats for the 2001 concert the day after. It was one or the other, and even though I like Burwell the prospect of hearing Solo live was the icing on the cake for me. So hoping for a great time
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2018
    My guess is that Solo will only be Lando's Closet. It is the only one I have heard this year from that movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2018
    It was Mine Mission Suite, same track as on the album but with an extra portion at the end. punk

The Rocketeer End Credits was fabulous, a reminder of this great score, one of my favourites of Horner. Other highlights were the opening of 2001: A Space Odyssey and the scene in space where "An der schönen blauen Donau" shines, followed by Alex North's piece for the same scene. Other selections from Black Hole, Star Trek, Alien, Star Wars Main Theme, ... Klendathu Drop must have been one of the louder tracks but I think the tempo was a bit slow.

All in all a very good and fun concert.
    Kazoo