• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2018 edited
    Nice! A unique concert. punk

Held on October 17th, the World Soundtrack Awards will welcome Carter Burwell, one of the most brilliant film composers of his generation, known for his compelling scores including Being John Malkovich, In Bruges, Where The Wild Things Are, Twilight and his unique collaborations with some of the world’s most respected filmmakers such as the Coen Brothers (Fargo, True Grit, Miller’s Crossing, No Country for Old Men) and Todd Haynes (Carol, Wonderstruck, Mildred Pierce, Velvet Goldmine).

Film Fest Gent also welcomes Nicholas Britell, Academy Award-nominated composer, pianist and producer. Last year during the World Soundtrack Awards, the American composer won the ‘Discovery of the Year’ award for Barry Jenkins’ Oscar-winning film Moonlight. In 2015, Britell wrote the score for Adam Mc Kay’s Oscar-nominated film The Big Short and Natalie Portman’s directorial debut feature film A Tale of Love and Darkness.

More info and tickets
    https://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/e … -2018/2201
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2018
    Still on a weekday :-/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I knew about Burwell's involvement about a month ago.

Alas, neither of these guests are particularly interesting to me (Burwell is very on/off). That, plus the weekday thing, makes it prohibitive yet again. Last time was 2015, so it's already 3 years ago.

BUT....I'm considering replacing the WSA with attending the summer festival in Ghent. No worries about getting composer interviews etc.; just enjoying the city and beers all day long!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    BUT....I'm considering replacing the WSA with attending the summer festival in Ghent. No worries about getting composer interviews etc.; just enjoying the city and beers all day long!

You have to contact me for that. The first weekend I'll be at a the Cactus music festival in Bruges (with Nils Frahm and lots of Belgian artists too). Belgium is a paradise for summer festivals. Every town has its own.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    You have to contact me for that. The first weekend I'll be at a the Cactus music festival in Bruges (with Nils Frahm and lots of Belgian artists too). Belgium is a paradise for summer festivals. Every town has its own.

Oooh. It has Mogwai and Goldfrapp too! Looks good. Sunday is apparently the day to be there.

I really want to go, but now that RyanAir no longer is operational in Norway, flights to Brussels are expensive.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I like Burwell and would love to go but too far away plus the wheelchair, rats.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2018 edited
    Film Fest Gent honours French composer Philippe Sarde with Lifetime Achievement Award at 18th World Soundtrack Awards

Within the framework of the upcoming World Soundtrack Awards Gala, Film Fest Gent will honour Philippe Sarde's impressive career with a Lifetime Achievement Award followed by a tribute to Sarde's film music. The French composer is known for an immense variety and richness in his scores, ranging from impressive symphonic work to pure jazz.

https://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/e … -2018/2207
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2018
    Man, I am so desperate to go back to Ghent. Both times I've been (2012 and 2016) were amazing trips; catching up with some of you guys in person, drinking lots of beer, and meeting high-profile composers in circumstances I simply cannot imagine could occur at any other event.

Probably won't be this year but it's always on my radar. smile
  1. LSH wrote
    Man, I am so desperate to go back to Ghent. Both times I've been (2012 and 2016) were amazing trips; catching up with some of you guys in person, drinking lots of beer, and meeting high-profile composers in circumstances I simply cannot imagine could occur at any other event.

Probably won't be this year but it's always on my radar. smile

Yep, hope to see you again one day smile And that counts for you too Thor, and all the others I've had the pleasure of meeting one day
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTime2 days ago edited
    Even to this day I get blurry memories appearing in my mind of things that may or may not have happened on these trips. The other day, for instance, I recalled a moment where I was giving Daniel Pemberton advice on how to pull a girl he had his eye on at the after-party. I think my advice was: “Just recreate the theme to Peep Show with your mouth and you’re in mate.”

spin