• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2018 edited
    I saw a few threads on Filmtracks comparing film composers to various actors, and I thought of doing the same things with authors

John Williams ---> Leo Tolstoy : Epic, virtuoso works, the definition of "classic"

Hans Zimmer ---> Steven King: Massively popular, capable of some genius, over-commericalized

Michael Giacchino ---> Michael Chabon: Flashy, cool, arguably too derivative of past greats

Any other ideas?
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2018
    Actually I always thought Hans Zimmer is a bit like the James Patterson of film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Southall wrote
    Actually I always thought Hans Zimmer is a bit like the James Patterson of film music.

I was gonna go with that; it's *almost* perfect. Except Zimmer can show genius and Patterson...uh....
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I would have gone with Max Steiner for Tolstoy. How about Herrmann for Edgar Allen Poe
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    sdtom wrote
    I would have gone with Max Steiner for Tolstoy. How about Herrmann for Edgar Allen Poe

Poe and Herrmann are perfect. Brooding, stormy...

I was thinking Alexandre Desplat ---> Don DeLillo
  1. James Horner - Isaac Asimov smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote
    James Horner - Isaac Asimov smile

that one is excellent as well. Prolific, inspiring, focused on the skies and stars.
  2. Asimov was so practical minded though, whereas Horner was such an emotional being (at least as a composer)...

George R.R. Martin - David Arnold. Does great work but WHERE IS THE NEXT ONE???
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Asimov was so practical minded though, whereas Horner was such an emotional being (at least as a composer)...

His writing was filled with a romantic sense of wonder. The Laws of Robotics you might call practical minded, but that's it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    so if we take sdtom's suggestion of Tolstoy ---> Steiner, then maybe

Tolkien ---> Williams?
  4. Given the influence of Lord of the Rings on Star Wars ... almost too obvious?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2018
    Steiner wrote such a wide range of emotional material which is why I compare him to Tolstoy.

Alex North could be Tennessee Williams that jazzy brash biting score to his earthy novels?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    How about Korngold for Rings?
  5. Anyone we compare to Tolkien will have to have music that is full of brilliant ideas that have inspired many other musicians, but which is also full of pointless side themes that go nowhere and composition that is usually very workmanlike, though peppered with highly romantic or exotic passages throughout (thinking of Tolkien's use of poetry and elvish and other languages).
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    christopher wrote
    Anyone we compare to Tolkien will have to have music that is full of brilliant ideas that have inspired many other musicians, but which is also full of pointless side themes that go nowhere and composition that is usually very workmanlike, though peppered with highly romantic or exotic passages throughout (thinking of Tolkien's use of poetry and elvish and other languages).

James Newton Howard
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steiner