• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2016
    Just been announced that he's scoring Ridley Scott's Alien: Covenant. Maybe he'll be the new Marc Streitenfeld.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Kurzel did some interesting things for THE BABADOOK and SLOW WEST. Haven't heard ASSASIN'S CREED. It's surely an intriguing choice.

By the way, the ALIEN: COVENANT trailer that was released a couple of days ago looks bloody fantastic! Can't wait.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The trailer is awful, but hopefully the film isn't. Ironically, Blade Runner 2049 looks a lot more promising.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Slow West was a very nice score, lovely main theme! Is this the same person?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Slow west... where the skies are blue?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2016 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Slow West was a very nice score, lovely main theme! Is this the same person?

Yes. Great film too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2017
    Here is my review of Assassin's Creed for who is interested. It was quite a challenge to tell something about a score that is not that awesome and great. But I am very glad how it turned out.

http://soundtrackworld.com/2017/02/assa … eed-movie/

Thanks to Christopher for proofreading my sometimes horrible English sentences! :-)
  1. My pleasure smile. I think you did well highlighting some positive things from a score that you didn't enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2017
    I really enjoyed your review for Assassin's Creed Caliburn.
    I'm certainly not won over by this score after one listen but I'm going to give it another spin after reading your thoughts. Thanks for the review!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2017
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Review of Alien: Covenant

http://www.movie-wave.net/alien-covenant/

I like this a fair bit more than you, but glad to see you're not totally dismissive, at least. I'm having a hell of a time trying to defend this from a few people over on FSM who've only heard a few of the tracks, yet somehow feel entitled to judge the whole thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I noticed... don't know why you bother really!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Indeed. But it's one of my pet subjects (i.e. people prejudging things), so I can't help myself.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Here's a post-judge review from Synchrotones about Alien Covenant.

Not to be confused with Alien: Coventry. rolleyes
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  3. Yes, yes, yes! The Aliens! That have been the Aliens! Whatever you might have heard about Coventry regarding the Germans was false news. It is false news. I saw it on Fox. Everything else is false news. It really is.

Ohhhhhh, wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017 edited
    Unexpectedly, “Chest Burster” is an incredibly pretty little cue, to the point I wondered whether it was labelled incorrectly.

I imagine it will be a bittersweet moment in the film. The heartbreaking separation between parent and child. Better take out the hankies now.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Unexpectedly, “Chest Burster” is an incredibly pretty little cue, to the point I wondered whether it was labelled incorrectly.

I imagine it will be a bittersweet moment in the film. The heartbreaking separation between parent and child. Better take out the hankies now.

biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. My review of ALIEN COVENANT, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2017/06/03/alie … ed-kurzel/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2017
    btw saw the film last night, loved it, as I loved Prometheus. but boy oh boy - and though I should state that I haven't heard the score on album yet, only in the movie, but what a terribly mediocre, uninteresting score that was! It's just like scott asked him to write the cheapest and most impersonal background wall of music that would serve as typical and uninvolving sample / library music off the shelf? maybe it was the music mixing that had it terribly low and buried behind sfx and dialogue, but I can't remember a single moment where it stood out. Do you guys like this? anyone?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2017 edited
    I think both the film and score are a schizophrenic mess.

It was Ridley Scott's original plan to follow Prometheus up with 2 films: one that followed on from Prometheus en work out its mythology, and then later on another film which would bridge the gap towards the original Alien. However, after the critical reception of Prometheus Ridley changed course and decided to combine both projects into Alien: Covenant.

The result is a film which starts out as a homage to the original Alien film, with extensive use of Goldsmith's music, and if you pay attention to what Kurzel does here; he actually does a pretty good job in adapting Goldsmith's music, write some original compositions in its vain to adapt towards Covenant, within a first half of the film which I found pretty successful (be it pretty familiar). I particularly like how he skewed Goldsmith's original suspense motif, until they arrive at the planet and he brings the motif back in its original form.

And then it all goes off the rails. Although I thought the Med Bay sequence extremely successful both in its intensity and how this was enhanced by Kurzel's music, I concur his material then deteriorates into unmemorable sections, for a film which tries to do too much within too little time, which breaks the up till then suspenseful mood. Kurzel still does some pretty cool and eerie stuff, but it sits at odds with what came before.

Still, large portions of Jed Kurzel's work are pretty good, including the adaptations but also his original music (just listen to a cue like Cargo Lift). I think it would be unfair to write the score off.
  6. BobdH wrote

Still, large portions of Jed Kurzel's work are pretty good.

Yes. His adaptation of Goldsmith's music is competent and his own material is adequate. My stand out cue is "Chest Burster". Utterly beautiful.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Only when he plagiarizes Goldsmith or Horner the music has something to say. I will give it a listen on album but yet, i feel this was a total misfire when it comes to choosing a composer. Seems draft, rushed or last minute decision. did they work together before? what's the criteria here? not a huge fan of hgw in general but he did such a good job in prometheus, he had to bring him back at least.

as for the movie, it was indeed cramped and rushed and had to read this perfect article here with a included mini video which helped me understand the storylines from prometheus to covenant, but overall i loved it as i did with the first film. love this new fassbender evil android thingy with all the religious parallels running around with the creators, messiahs etc. fine read: http://screenrant.com/alien-covenant-en … explained/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Both film and score are among my favourites this year. Absolutely brilliant!

Here's my review of the film -- including a breakdown of many of the philosophical underpinnings and references -- but alas, it's only in Norwegian. You'd have to use Google Translate:

http://montages.no/2017/05/hybrid-og-hy … -covenant/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2017
    score brilliant? pf, no surprise coming from you wink

absolutely loved the film though, we agree on that one.